2012 Indian Grand Prix - Buddh

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FakeAlonso

Re: 2012 Indian Grand Prix - Buddh

Rumors on Twitter

"Red Bull might raise or lower the floor" that's why the sparks on Vettel car disappeared.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW7tGHPdIq4[/youtube]

siskue2005

Frankly speaking the sparks could have been due to debris on the track
If you look closely the sparks were only on the right side, which means something was stuck there
There were many contacts and unusually high number of punctures
It could have been anything
Last edited by siskue2005 on 28 Oct 2012, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor22
Raptor22

Cylinder wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:
eeerrrrrm, Both flinched to join other teams instead of race alongside Vettel... lets not let facts get in the way of a good story hey....
Another nonsensical post, that's 2 in 2, now, no doubt you will complete the Grand Chelem with the next post.

They dont respect him, that's just the way it is and they do not fear him at all, Hamilton made it pretty clear he was open to drive alongside vettel and red bull closed the door on him joining.....Alonso doesn't lose a wink of sleep over him either, the only driver Alonso would worry about is Hamilton, because he knows Hamilton is the real fastest driver in the sport over a lap, anyone else, he's not bothered.

I see you're spoiling for a fight. :twisted:

RedBull rejected Hamilton? hmmm, That seems to contradict Horner's assertion that if "Hamilton is available one has to consider him because of his exploits on the track."
It is more likely that Hamilton enquired with RedBull as a distraction from his real objectives to join Mercedes. Hamilton wants to create a brand around his name (like Webber did with Schumacher) and RedBull would not be the place to achieve that. Only a famous brand can carry him to the lofty heights he desires for himself.

Alonso would have also considered RedBull perhaps for a second but why? He stands to make a bigger name for himself as a Ferrari driver than a RedBull driver. Pre 1994 even Aaryton Senna considered Ferrari as the team to retire from. Noting lifts your name more than victories in Red. Want to be a brand, want a name that will echo through time, either die at the wheel or win a WDC with Ferrari.

I doubt Alonso would want to be at RedBull anyway. He won't be number 1 and he doesn't relish being up against a younger hungrier driver in the same car.
SAme with Hamilton. He's big push was Jenson owning him last season.

Spark from Red Bull:

If it was the floor that was lowered then the whole leading edge should have been scrapping the ground and likely broken off.
It was likley just a titanium rubbing strip that dislodged while running over the curbs.

FJCA

Forza

“During that first stint I started having a downshift problem – I was having to change down with my right hand instead of my left, so the team elected to change the steering wheel,” said Hamilton. “I’ve never had to change a steering wheel during a race before. We’ve done it in Barcelona testing before, but never in a race. Even so, the guys did it fantastically quickly, under immense pressure, so I want to say ‘well done!’ to them all. I took the wheel off before I’d even stopped the car, and threw it out. The team then fitted a new one, I clicked it into first gear, and I was away – all in just a bit over three seconds flat.” link
The 2008 world champion came into to pits to change to hard tyres, but also had time for the mechanics to pop a new steering wheel on in just 3.3 seconds, before going on to to finish in fourth place. BBC

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gL1U_K5 ... ontext-gfa[/youtube]

turbof1

That was fully synchronized! Hamilton just got the steering wheel out of the cockpit when one of the crewmembers swung the new one inside; the 2 didn't got in eachothers way. The new steering wheel was attached and ready to go right before the right front tyre change was completed, so it didn't cost any time.
#AeroFrodo

CHT
CHT

Cylinder wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:
eeerrrrrm, Both flinched to join other teams instead of race alongside Vettel... lets not let facts get in the way of a good story hey....
Another nonsensical post, that's 2 in 2, now, no doubt you will complete the Grand Chelem with the next post.

They dont respect him, that's just the way it is and they do not fear him at all, Hamilton made it pretty clear he was open to drive alongside vettel and red bull closed the door on him joining.....Alonso doesn't lose a wink of sleep over him either, the only driver Alonso would worry about is Hamilton, because he knows Hamilton is the real fastest driver in the sport over a lap, anyone else, he's not bothered.
After winning the title as the youngest 1x 2x and possible 3x WDC I am not surprise both lewis and Alonso have got something in common. at this point of the championship don't expect Alonso or vettel to say nice things about each other. It's mind game in its most simplistic form.

lebesset
lebesset

raymondu999 wrote:
Mesteño wrote:On twitter:"positions won by Vettel in all the championship... -2. Alonso +40. " is that true?
I don't understand. What positions?
kris wrote:I feel pirelli erred in their tyre choices for this race.. they seem to be too coonservative.. 1 stop races seem to be too dependent on alonso for kicks..
They saw it coming last year, and they still didn't change it for this year. Sigh.
this years compounds are generally softer ...but the track conditions were better
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

LionKing
LionKing

Does anyone know the engine usage situation for the top teams going into the last 3 races?

I would think Ferrari would be in the best position as they get good mileage out of their units.

CHT
CHT

LionKing wrote:Does anyone know the engine usage situation for the top teams going into the last 3 races?

I would think Ferrari would be in the best position as they get good mileage out of their units.
I believe everyone on the grid will be using used engines from earlier races from now on. No much difference in mileage between them.

raymondu999

lebesset wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
kris wrote:I feel pirelli erred in their tyre choices for this race.. they seem to be too coonservative.. 1 stop races seem to be too dependent on alonso for kicks..
They saw it coming last year, and they still didn't change it for this year. Sigh.
this years compounds are generally softer ...but the track conditions were better
Still would've seen it from a race like Silverstone. The trend in all the races this year has been that the winning strategy has gone one stop less than whatever it was last year
LionKing wrote:Does anyone know the engine usage situation for the top teams going into the last 3 races?

To be fair different engines lose power differently over time anyways. I remember reading a report once that the Cosworth had the worst longevity of the current engines. They would start out as competitive engines, but over more mileage, they became worse than their 3 rivals.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

siskue2005

Forza wrote:
“During that first stint I started having a downshift problem – I was having to change down with my right hand instead of my left, so the team elected to change the steering wheel,” said Hamilton. “I’ve never had to change a steering wheel during a race before. We’ve done it in Barcelona testing before, but never in a race. Even so, the guys did it fantastically quickly, under immense pressure, so I want to say ‘well done!’ to them all. I took the wheel off before I’d even stopped the car, and threw it out. The team then fitted a new one, I clicked it into first gear, and I was away – all in just a bit over three seconds flat.” link
The 2008 world champion came into to pits to change to hard tyres, but also had time for the mechanics to pop a new steering wheel on in just 3.3 seconds, before going on to to finish in fourth place. BBC
]
That was impressive work
I was surprised to see how fast they changed it without losing any time
It required shone great coordination from Lewis and the mechanics
Fantastic

raymondu999

I remember RBR were testing it last year too in Valencia practice
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Vanja #66

CHT wrote: I believe everyone on the grid will be using used engines from earlier races from now on. No much difference in mileage between them.
Nope, Ferrari still have one more new engine to use, and I think we'll see it (hear it actually) in FP3 in Austin for the first time. I don't see much use in putting new engine for Abu Dhabi. Vettel will be having to juggle them (#7 and #8), Webber not so much. McLaren also (#6-Spa engine and #8), that's my best guess.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mzivtins
mzivtins

Great race by F.Alonso and Ferrari, good pit stop strategies, he faced no issues with traffic and the tyre stints were perfect. If anything they are the strongest in terms of team work in the field, where mclaren again show things really arent working right for them, still a good car though, without the car and drivers being so good i would have expected to see mclaren swamped by renault/lotus etc.

I must say i am a bit surprised that the pole lap wasn't challenged, as vettel had all 4 wheels off of the race track on the inside curb coming out of a chicane, apparently he gained nothing, but having said that the fact is he left the track on a timed lap, the logic does not make sense to me. You must complete a lap within the confines of the white lines for it to be classified as a lap? Some good wishy-wassy rules coming into play again. And a very interesting part about his floor.

The race itself was a bit difficult to watch, did the track designers not think about this mist problem that happens? it looked dank and horrible, not a nice thing to watch really, although i was wrong, my first impressions were smog :lol:

Vettel won the race on paper, but Alonso and Ferrari won the fans race, yet another race of 2012 where we are left in awe at how well Alonso drove that car, and how solid the strategy and team work was. Bravo.