2013 Australian GP - Albert Park

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
atanatizante

Re: 2013 Australian GP - Albert Park

Sonic wrote: First time here. One question : why the W04 was 12km/h slower (top speed) during the race than during quali ? I can't find the solution. Could a front wing clic (even a 3 points) alterate the top speed that much ?
Sorry : somebody told me in the ear-monitor that LH did a 312km/h on lap 51. End of the story. Thanks for your response.
Indeed, on lap 51 he actually did a 314km/h when he was trying to overtake Sutil but I don`t know why this top speed didn`t show up on the FIA records !!!
Maybe this speed was registred after the speed trap point detection?

Regarding this matter I`m more puzzled about their top speed race vs. quali top speed.

These are the facts, according to FIA records:
a) Qualifying session speed trap were: http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f ... 20Trap.pdf
b) Qualifying session maximum speeds were: http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f ... Speeds.pdf
c) Race speed trap were: http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f ... 20Trap.pdf
d) Race maximum speeds were: http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f ... Speeds.pdf

From these results we could presume some interesting analysis:

1. Lotus has the best traction or the best DF, according to point b) when Grosjean and Raikkonen did a 305,9 and 304,7km/h on the finish line, bearing in mind that turn 16 require traction/DF.
They are followed by Ferrari, RBR and Mercedes.
2. Ferrari are the best in high speed corners, according to b)&d) points, being fastest in Intermediate 1 & 2. They are followed by RBR closed matched by Lotus.
3. I understand the logic of other drivers regarding their speeds in qualy and the race, but I don`t follow Hamilton and Rosbers`s speeds.
Just see the facts (Q speeds was at the same times recorded on Sunday!):
- Hamilton: Q speed finish line: 301,3 and Q speed trap: 311,1km/h Afterwards, Race speed finish line: 294,7 and Race speed trap: 299,1km/h !!!
- Rosberg: Q speed finish line: 301,8 and Q speed trap: 306,6km/h Afterwards, Race speed finish line: 280,3 and Race speed trap: 295,0km/h !!!
Then compare to other drivers:
- Alonso: Q speed finish line: 303,1 and Q speed trap: 308,3km/h Afterwards, Race speed finish line: 304,3 and Race speed trap: 308,7km/h
- Vettel: Q speed finish line: 302,5 and Q speed trap: 307,6km/h Afterwards, Race speed finish line: 302,2 and Race speed trap: 305,6km/h
And the trend is the same but Mercedes drivers ...

One can say about those speeds that most of the teams opted for a short 7th gear, except maybe Hamilton, Massa, Alonso and Sutil, but Hamy 10km/h in a couple of hundred meters is insane, even with DRS on !!!

Until lap 51, when LH did an unrecorded 314km/h, maybe the car was to heavy and they were saving fuel bearing in mind they have 10% more fuel due to Coanda exhaust system?
Another reason is they have had worn tyres and didn`t manage to take a good corner exit in order to have a good top speed. Then how about their huge delta speed between DRS active and non active?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Mui
Mui

atanatizante wrote:
Sonic wrote: First time here. One question : why the W04 was 12km/h slower (top speed) during the race than during quali ? I can't find the solution. Could a front wing clic (even a 3 points) alterate the top speed that much ?
Sorry : somebody told me in the ear-monitor that LH did a 312km/h on lap 51. End of the story. Thanks for your response.
Indeed, on lap 51 he actually did a 314km/h when he was trying to overtake Sutil but I don`t know why this top speed didn`t show up on the FIA records !!!
Maybe this speed was registred after the speed trap point detection?

Regarding this matter I`m more puzzled about their top speed race vs. quali top speed.
Traction is a possibility but maybe the wind played a factor? or 312 was just wrong.

Hail22

Such control in an unstable/unbalanced car...Bianchi has the raw ingredients to being a future F1 Champion:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTvRlnSz8lM[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

HVS5b

Very very tidy indeed. Glad see a real emerging talent in F1 =D>

raymondu999

That Bianchi has talent was always a given. IMO a big concern was his performance under pressure. He has generally not performed well in times when he has been given the label of "favorite."

Also - remember that we lack a real benchmark against which to measure Bianchi. I don't rate Chilton very highly, and that IMO is slightly flattering Bianchi.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

stefan_

I actually think that Bianchi has good raw talent and he proved it in these 2 first races. The fact that he doesn't go well under pressure is also true and he sometimes lost his head when he was under pressure (happened a couple of times last year in FR 3.5), but he is good overall and has a lot of milage in an F1 car - he has a good base to develop on. Chilton isn't bad either, but I rate him lower than Bianchi. Both did good so far and they didn't cause major problems when they had blue flags.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Nando

Let´s keep in mind he´s done 2 races only. And the Marussia although i lacks DF it might fit him like a glove balance wise.
we are all impressed by Bianchi but let´s evaluate him after 1 year instead of 2 races.

If he was a "savant" Ferrari would have picked him up but he´s in a Marussia for now so let´s wait and see.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."