2013 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Hail22

Re: 2013 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzZnNQ4X8u0[/youtube]

That victorious tail slide in F1 has been missing for a long time now.......beautiful to see it once more and not see the typical "save the engine" attitude.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

So with the tyre discussion calming down a touch - I'd like to take this lull to discuss some of the nuances of strategy, in the absence of adrenalin and bias-affected discussion.

Some of the things I picked up on:

Lotus managed a 2-stop race simulation in the 2nd Barcelona test - Grosjean did Hard-Medium-Medium. So why was it that they had to go 3 or more stops here? Perhaps they were having to manage the tyres too much - or perhaps they were helped by the colder weather pumping less thermal energy in the tyres.

Another thing I found interesting was that even in the race, Rosberg was told that it was important to look after the tears. If that's the case even in such a front-limited circuit, wow.

It's quite interesting to see that McLaren clearly preferred the prime, and Lotus seemingly preferred the option, based on Raikkoen's OOOP strategy. I think that shows that in terms of managing these 2013 Pirellis, the important thing was to keep the tyres in the window. Looking at this race and past races, generally teams clearly had a single preferred tyre. For example in Melbourne, force India were able to make the primes work for a two stop, but not the option. Mercedes could make the supersofts work for a 2 stop, but not the primes. Vettel in Bahrain had better pace AND tyre life on the options, Webber on the primes. Looking at this in hindsight - I think what we are seeing is teams being able to get the setup hooked up for one compound, but not necessarily both. Perhaps the real problem is that setting up for one set of tyres means compromising the other compound performance. Some people will inevitably point me to Pirelli's chart of working temps for the tyres, but that's not the same thing. A tyre's optimum temperature range will not be the same as how easy (or difficult) it is to get into (and stay in) those working ranges. IMO this is the key behind Rosberg managing a 3-stop. He was able to slow down just enough to keep his tyres in their happiest temperature.

I have also been saying that the key to having more pitstops, and hence more pushing, is to make the tyres less sensitive to management - ie in economics vernacular, make the tyre life management-inelastic. IMO this race was just such a race. Looking at the data, and looking specifically at the teams that started off on a 3-stop but converted to 4, there were generally increases in pace - quite massively. This shows that in order to save the tyres - they had to manage the tyres more, losing more time than a pitstop. I think this underlying concept was good about the Spanish Grand Prix - just a touch too many stops. I'd like the same management-inelasticity of tyre life, except with 2 vs 3 stops.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MOWOG

Interesting post, sir. But may I humbly suggest that the sport COULD elect to require a minimum of 2 stops, or 3 stops, or 4 stops or 10 stops if it so chose. The beauty of mandated stops would be that the tires could be made so as to promote actual racing in between. :lol: =D>
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

komninosm
komninosm

fiohaa wrote:its not even remotely important how many stops anyone did......couldnt care less if it was 2 stops or 10.
what is important is exactly what Coulthard says in his article........
" All tyres get slower through their lives. I never knew an F1 tyre that did not have a peak of performance when it was new and then degraded and wore out as you drove on it
What does seem to be completely clear, though, is that the drivers are not pushing right to the limit in the race. To what degree, depends on who you listen to. But after winning the race on Sunday, Alonso said he had been pushing at 90% most of the way.
In my whole career, I very rarely drove at only 90%. Usually, I'd be coughing up a lung. During my very first win, I remember thinking that if Michael Schumacher behind me didn't slow down, I was going to crash because I couldn't keep the pace up.
Most of the time, chasing my team-mate Mika Hakkinen - as I usually was, unfortunately - I couldn't go any faster. Not because I was having to manage the tyres, but because I physically could not go any faster within the grip the tyres generated.
There are many sports that are not about extreme physical endeavour, but F1 has for me always been about man and machine taken to the limit, and if you go beyond that limit there is damage or there is death. Of course, F1 is still dangerous, but that gladiatorial aspect has been lessened."
" Not everyone is complaining about the current situation, but many of those who are remember the refuelling days, which ended after 2009, when drivers were able to lap in the race within two seconds of their qualifying time.
Even in 2010, the last year of Bridgestone tyres, race lap times were usually within two seconds of qualifying times.
On Sunday in Spain, the fastest lap was 5.5secs slower than the pole time.
That's because the drivers are not pushing to the peak of the aerodynamic performance of the car because the tyres do not allow them to. Do that, and the tyre's performance drops off too quickly. In the past, the tyres were more consistent.
As recently as 2009, I remember Alonso asking for the Singapore Grand Prix race distance to be shortened because everyone was physically spent after the first race there in 2008. No-one asks that anymore because the extreme physicality has gone out of it. Drivers go several seconds a lap slower and manage their tyres."

I cannot put it any better myself. If people genuinly prefer this kind of tyre based racing, i do not see how they enjoy racing. What we have currently is a completely different sport to the sprint based formula of racing.
Epic post Fiohha!

MOWOG

I agree with Coulthard. =D>
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

SectorOne

He´s stating the obvious and i´m glad he does.

Can´t wait for the time when proper tires comes back in F1. I´d like refuelling back as well and rather have one overtake per race then 500 passes where the other guy can´t do anything to defend himself.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

raymondu999

I'm slightly confused really. The cold in winter testing supposedly induced cold tear on the tyres. And yet Lotus did POO in testing and OOOP in the race. What gives?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pierce89

raymondu999 wrote:I'm slightly confused really. The cold in winter testing supposedly induced cold tear on the tyres. And yet Lotus did POO in testing and OOOP in the race. What gives?
Maybe they pushed a lot harder in the race. That would make sense,no? Or,in the winter, the cold temps didn't prevent them from getting into the correct temp window, but the cold might've been just enough to slow down the thermal degradation.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher