2013 Canadian GP - Montreal

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
myurr

Re: 2013 Canadian GP - Montreal

It isn't about blocking attempts to overtake though, it's about the number of blue flags ignored. Sutil had blue flags waved at him from around turn 3 onwards, that I saw on the TV. It wasn't until the straight that he "let" Hamilton past. That's not far off an entire lap. Sutil is even quoted as saying he let them past after "just" a lap. But that's not how the rules are written and supposed to be applied.

The problem that the blue flags tries to counter is that of turbulence. As soon as Hamilton closed with a second or so of Sutil he couldn't progress any further due to the loss of downforce at the front of the car. The blue flags are to stop lapping cars from being held up too long in this situation, as it's often very hard for the leaders to pass slower cars in a timely fashion doubly so when it's an out of position fast car like Sutil.

Sutil failed to give way within the requisite 3 blue flags and received a penalty. Utterly fair in my opinion.

Mandrake

iotar__ wrote:Vettel, who cared so much about racing, was "enjoying every lap" of tyres nursing at 95%, and not having any competition or having to do any kind of racing. Still managed to went off track. He enjoyed every second of tyre related RB advantage in qualifying and in the race. Hypocrisy and care for safety, give me a break. And you wonder why people boo him.
Why do you say Tire-related advantage? We discussed the matter for weeks and now suddenly RB got on top of it and actually have a tire advantage? I'm sure, but it appears you're using this for your own agenda. -0,087s vs HAM is a very small gap in Qualy.

All the cars where lapping visually faster than in Monaco and Spain. I enjoyed seeing them push the car again. It was very different from the Tire saving we saw in earlier races. Vettel was driving at least fast enough to be able to leave the road....

After Spain and Monaco I abandoned my plans to watch the race at the Nürburging, just because I wouldn't want to see cars driving around slowly to save their tires. If they continue to drive like in Canada I might rethink my decision.

GrizzleBoy

Its a bit weird (but nice) how all of a sudden the fastest cars are now setting the fastest laps, compared to Gutierrez racking them up :p

I guess everybody understands their rubber now.

jamsbong

DOTD Vettel.
I know he cruised to the finished with a huge gap and lapping cars up to 5th place.
Still, it was his amazing talent and teamwork to set up the car so that it works so well today. Webber should have been 2nd or 1st place considering he is driving the same car. But he end up only 4th.

Perhaps it is too early in the season, but Alonso looks to a lot more casual this year than last. He was crazy hard-working last year and dragged that slow Ferrari so close to the championship. Has he lost some steam? To me, Vettel is another level this year, he is fast becoming the Maestro like Michael Schumacher. That brings me so much JOY to see him grow! :D

I always wonder why Webber and Alonso never gets scolded from the team when they pop up fastest laps. Only Vettel gets lots of annoying radio complaints.

turbof1

Because when Alonso and Webber do it, they have a reason to do so (except Alonso in China, but then he was put down by his team). Not that I have anything against Vettel doing that; it's good to see a driver tries to be multidimensional competitive, even when the stakes aren't high.

I do fear this is another walk away season for Vettel. Perhaps not like 2011, but certainly easier then 2010 and 2012. Red Bull will have utterly dominated the current generation; only the first year, 2009, of it has remained out of their hands and even then they ended second.

Next year we get to a complete new generation. It can break the Vettel-RBR streak.
#AeroFrodo

raymondu999

turbof1 wrote:Next year we get to a complete new generation. It can break the Vettel-RBR streak.
It could renew it, too. Don't forget Newey's the most successful designer for new regs. Of course it hinges on the engine, too...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FoxHound

raymondu999 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Next year we get to a complete new generation. It can break the Vettel-RBR streak.
It could renew it, too. Don't forget Newey's the most successful designer for new regs. Of course it hinges on the engine, too...
Too early to say, but it will depend on the ratio of Tyre/Aero/Engine/Mechanical performance. If it remains primarily Aero dominated but Tyre limited, then we will probably see another Newey rocket.
JET set

WhiteBlue

raymondu999 wrote:
That crossed my mind as well.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

munudeges

The Renault engine isn't exactly the best right now in terms of top end performance. Red Bull getting a very good Renault turbo that Newey himself has personally seen to would fill me with trepidation.

raymondu999

Yea. Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull I see as having an aero advantage thanks to their engine relations.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

turbof1

Of course it will depend on who has the better engine. Renault however will have to deliver due they have the most expensive engine. It would be a real disgrace for them if Ferrari, being cheaper by around 10m, ends up being the better one.
#AeroFrodo

Websta

raymondu999 wrote:
It could start a Raikkonen-Vettel battle if the speculated driver change occurs, so we could still see the Vettel-RBR streak end even if RBR remain the class of the field

munudeges

One thing is for sure, Red Bull simply can't afford Webber to be where he is now. With all the other drivers who can guarantee that off the market then Raikkonen is the obvious choice.

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

mx_tifoso

RIP to the poor Marshall.

I'll be splitting that sad topic into its own thread so that we can talk about it in separation from the normal GP events. So all posts before this one will now be in an another thread.

:arrow: Marshall accident in Canada
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.