2013 Canadian GP - Montreal

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
bdr529

Re: 2013 Canadian GP - Montreal

Juzh wrote:
Hobbs04 wrote:I actually felt bad for vettel up on the podium. The audio picked up a lot of the crowd booing. It clearly bothered him.
Pathethic stuff on the fans behalf. But what can you do. It's canada after all. All ferrari there, much like monza.
You would think I'd change my avatar before I say this, were not all Ferrari fans here in Canada, granted there is a good size Italian community in Montreal and with Gilles driving for Ferrari we do have a soft spot for them.
I'm not a fan of booing someone just because he beat your favorite driver or team, If he does something stupid in the race then sure have at it,
I totally agree for anyother reason is just classless
by the way I think they were booing in French :P

MOWOG

It's true. I saw a transcript in French and what they were shouting was "Boux! Boux!"

:twisted:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

ced381

MOWOG wrote:It's true. I saw a transcript in French and what they were shouting was "Boux! Boux!"

Quite cocky for someone living in Rhode Island...

:twisted: :twisted:

Just kidding, mate.
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

sknguy

MOWOG wrote:It's true. I saw a transcript in French and what they were shouting was "Boux! Boux!"
Vettel shouldn't feel too bad... Here's a Justin Bieber highlight from the 2012 Grey Cup half-time show. The Grey Cup is a "grid-iron" football event here in Canada. http://youtu.be/9lXa6_1qemI
Sports crowds are always the toughest. I'm not much of a bouxer myself.

Pierce89

GrizzleBoy wrote:Its a bit weird (but nice) how all of a sudden the fastest cars are now setting the fastest laps, compared to Gutierrez racking them up :p

I guess everybody understands their rubber now.
It's just that Montreal is a track that produces very little heat degradation. In Silverstone, Ferrari will be much better on the tires than Red Bull again.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

iotar__

GrizzleBoy wrote:Its a bit weird (but nice) how all of a sudden the fastest cars are now setting the fastest laps, compared to Gutierrez racking them up :p

I guess everybody understands their rubber now.
All of the sudden? What fastest laps you're talking about?
Australian Kimi Räikkönen Lotus-Renault 1:29.274
Malaysian Sergio Perez McLaren-Mercedes 1:39.199
Chinese Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:36.808
Bahrain Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:36.961
Spanish Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari 1:26.217
Monaco Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:16.577
Canadian Mark Webber Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:16.182
Of course Gutierrez's and Perez's fastest laps had nothing to do with them pitting last on 54th laps and being on fresh tyres. And what those fastest lap by "fastest cars" prove exactly? Just a reminder from 2009, I thought I remembered some weird names from that season, and here you go: Sutil, Glock, Trulli, Massa, Rosberg , Alonso. Buttonx2 for comparison

"Everybody understands tyres" another predictable reaction when results are more preferable. Yes, especially Lotus understood tyres well in Canada and of course it was representative of their speed. What's going on here? Was someone (Sky type media) selling Montreal as great pure, pushing 110% racing back? Hamilton on podium = pure racing back, all too predictable nonsense. All the racing part was only possible because of DRS passes which were too easy and faster cars starting behind.

iotar__

I was right, this time it's Coulthard's turn to pushing 100% (I mean 95% of course) agenda. Is he still on RB's payroll, if he isn't he certainly sounds like he is. This is horrible
"When Red Bull's drivers can push, they are able to exploit the performance of the car; when they're not able to push it plays into the strengths of some of the other cars.'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22845247

How about other car that couldn't push 100% (I mean 95% of course) because of hmm tyres? Is RB special little flower racing in their own bubble. Is there special racing formula only for RB or maybe they're racing against other team that like for example Ferrari had problems in qualifying getting energy into hmmm tyres. What a dishonest one-sided approach. What about FI's 56 laps stint? Were they pushing 100% (I mean 95% of course).

This all is debatable but saying Vettel f.. ups while leading the race are a proof of some on the edge driving is complete bollocks. 1. He used to that on all kind of tyres. 2. What if he had flawless day, would that be a proof of not pushing 100% (I mean 95% of course). Nonsense. Lastly: these are the SAME tyres as in any other race this season, what kind of "proof'" Canada can be then? I think Coulthard simply liked the result.

SectorOne

Racing at it´s finest....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXRbgnqIG_Q[/youtube]
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

myurr

iotar__ wrote:I was right, this time it's Coulthard's turn to pushing 100% (I mean 95% of course) agenda. Is he still on RB's payroll, if he isn't he certainly sounds like he is. This is horrible
"When Red Bull's drivers can push, they are able to exploit the performance of the car; when they're not able to push it plays into the strengths of some of the other cars.'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22845247

How about other car that couldn't push 100% (I mean 95% of course) because of hmm tyres? Is RB special little flower racing in their own bubble. Is there special racing formula only for RB or maybe they're racing against other team that like for example Ferrari had problems in qualifying getting energy into hmmm tyres. What a dishonest one-sided approach. What about FI's 56 laps stint? Were they pushing 100% (I mean 95% of course).

This all is debatable but saying Vettel f.. ups while leading the race are a proof of some on the edge driving is complete bollocks. 1. He used to that on all kind of tyres. 2. What if he had flawless day, would that be a proof of not pushing 100% (I mean 95% of course). Nonsense. Lastly: these are the SAME tyres as in any other race this season, what kind of "proof'" Canada can be then? I think Coulthard simply liked the result.
He's still on their payroll as a consultant and demonstration driver.

The problem with his position is that others have designed their cars to the tyres, and have done a better job (arguably) than Red Bull. So when the tyres perform conservatively then Red Bull can exploit the fact their car is designed to extract the most from that type of tyre. When the tyres perform like Pirelli said they would other cars exploit those characteristics to a greater extent.

So yes, if Pirelli change the tyres characteristics to suit the Red Bull and it's design parameters then they will go faster. In the same way that if Pirelli change the tyre characteristics to suit any particular car it will go faster. Mercedes could (probably) legitimately claim that if Pirelli kept the front spec the same but made the rears harder then they'd be faster in the races, whereas others would probably struggle with the balance and getting heat into the rears.

It's a stupid argument in my opinion.

SectorOne

myurr wrote:The problem with his position is that others have designed their cars to the tyres, and have done a better job (arguably) than Red Bull.
It´s just not true. It all comes down to pure coincidence that this years Ferrari and Lotus happened to work best with these 2013 constructions.

Just as Lotus have no idea why their car is so good with the tires, you can ask them why their car was 1,5 seconds off pace in Canada because they could not switch on their tires.
Sounds a bit crazy saying it´s a lottery but when teams have no power to control their tires you know it´s a bit of a roulette game.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Blackout

SectorOne wrote:
myurr wrote:The problem with his position is that others have designed their cars to the tyres, and have done a better job (arguably) than Red Bull.
It´s just not true. It all comes down to pure coincidence that this years Ferrari and Lotus happened to work best with these 2013 constructions.
Just as Lotus have no idea why their car is so good with the tires, you can ask them why their car was 1,5 seconds off pace in Canada because they could not switch on their tires.
#-o

Chuckjr

SectorOne wrote:Racing at it´s finest....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXRbgnqIG_Q
Sounds like Fred lifted after the corner and mid straight. You can see Ham jump forward when Fred lifts.

Wonder why he lifted (if that is indeed what happened)?
Watching F1 since 1986.

Richard

Because they both wanted the other to be first at the DRS line.

raymondu999

richard_leeds wrote:Because they both wanted the other to be first at the DRS line.
Yep. A repeat of Raikkonen - Massa at India last year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SectorOne

Chuckjr wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Racing at it´s finest....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXRbgnqIG_Q
Sounds like Fred lifted after the corner and mid straight. You can see Ham jump forward when Fred lifts.

Wonder why he lifted (if that is indeed what happened)?
Not lifted but hit the brakes. Hamilton was trying to catch him out, exit out of the corner slowly, get Alonso alongside then just hit the brakes near the DRS line.
Obviously Alonso figured this out and bided his time very well.