2013 British GP - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: 2013 British GP - Silverstone

Good thing that it was a Mercedes in the lead then? :lol:

Formula 1 race director Charlie Whiting has revealed that he came close to red-flagging the British Grand Prix in the wake of the multiple tyre failures.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108466
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

iotar__

beelsebob wrote:
munudeges wrote:If I were Lotus I would grab di Resta and Hulkenberg.
That or DiResta and Riccardo, but yeh, that's very sane.
Yeah right It is possible that RG lost his touch, that's what castrating blown up penalties, wife, kid ;-) and 1,5 season of team treatment can do to a driver but you can't tell it now. No proper environment to judge. As for possible "sane replacements": Hulkenberg was outraced and outqualified by ancient Rubens, and di Resta by below average Sutil, Ricciardo is slightly better than the mess of a driver Vergne is , if you prefer to play that game. Yet two of them somehow "recovered" from that. BTW why the interest in Lotus suddenly, new fans everyday, media suddenly interested? Trying to squeeze their overrated drivers somewhere, I though they were all going to McLaren, Red Bull or Ferrari :twisted: ?

You can pretend that multiply team orders don't mean anything and don't affect a driver in a negative way. To explain it here I really need it to happen to a local driver and half an hour special on Sky. At worst it has to be Massa or Webber ;-). One: Lotus type multiple team orders are a tip of an iceberg, visible part of a policy that affects other areas. Two: from driver's percpective they really have an affect: approach, goals, expected treatment from the team in any race situation, confidence. With F1 driver performence consisting of 100 small things TO are not a small part. Also there has to be logic and result, there's none here.

For the team part Lotus is simply not maximizing their results, which would have been better if they'd decided to back up both drivers. They had a unique chance to beat McLaren or Ferrari, instead they were content with fourth and got involved with fake Raikkonen for a championship campaign. McLaren with a better driver and car after unlucky DNF while leading in Singapore announced end of championship hopes. Lotus after bad qualifying, lucky climb to sixth (Schumacher-Vergne crash) and team orders for fifth were continuing with "we're still fighting for championship" nonsense. Then Suzuka spin in qualifying. You tell me if it was healthy based on reality approach. This season is much worse and a car much better.

Cocles

nhojekim wrote:I don't think brawnGP had a skeleton crew, brawnGP was built with full workforce with Honda money.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear; we're talking about two different things. Yes, the BGP-001 was designed with a full workforce and Honda money. I was specifically referring to the car's 2009 in-season development, which was done with a skeleton crew.

Cam

Remember last year? Random winners. You only had to fluke the setup to win. Anyone who thinks Merc did not gain an advantage from that test is kidding themselves. They did. But that's not the whole story. Merc have obviously been working to solve the issues outside of that test and its just as probable that they were close to solving them anyway. Arguably the tire test gave them answers on direction, direction they already had and needed data to prove. Merc have a very strong team, a will to win (at all costs by the test saga story) and a very quick car over one lap. It's not that hard to join the dots. Merc have done well, played the game, and got results. Isn't that what F1 is all about?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Hangaku

Merc has been a factory F1 team for the last 4 years, but I believe that these claims that the step forward is all down to the tire test, is forgetting how many years experience the team has in it.

Brawn alone has been working in F1 since 1991 - 22 years
Bob Bell was working at McLaren in 1982 - 31 years
Paddy Lowe (who as Brawn stated on Sky F1 the other day, is already giving input) has been in F1 since 1987 - 26 years

So just between those three, there is combined 79 years of experience - and those are just the big names, that doesn't count any of the other 1,000 members of staff. So Mercedes are a 4 year old team that are floundering, and don't you forget it :lol:
Yer.

SectorOne

I'm of the opinion that it's track related meaning, put on Spain tomorrow and Merc would be chanceless.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

beelsebob
beelsebob

iotar__ wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
munudeges wrote:If I were Lotus I would grab di Resta and Hulkenberg.
That or DiResta and Riccardo, but yeh, that's very sane.
Yeah right It is possible that RG lost his touch, that's what castrating blown up penalties, wife, kid ;-) and 1,5 season of team treatment can do to a driver but you can't tell it now. No proper environment to judge. As for possible "sane replacements": Hulkenberg was outraced and outqualified by ancient Rubens, and di Resta by below average Sutil, Ricciardo is slightly better than the mess of a driver Vergne is
The stats disagree about DiResta at very least. Ricciardo has been ahead of Vergne by a wider margin for most of the season. That doesn't make me trust your assessment of Hulkenburg much ;).

beelsebob
beelsebob

Hangaku wrote:Merc has been a factory F1 team for the last 4 years, but I believe that these claims that the step forward is all down to the tire test, is forgetting how many years experience the team has in it.

Brawn alone has been working in F1 since 1991 - 22 years
Bob Bell was working at McLaren in 1982 - 31 years
Paddy Lowe (who as Brawn stated on Sky F1 the other day, is already giving input) has been in F1 since 1987 - 26 years

So just between those three, there is combined 79 years of experience - and those are just the big names, that doesn't count any of the other 1,000 members of staff. So Mercedes are a 4 year old team that are floundering, and don't you forget it :lol:
Indeed, it's just all the Merc haters trying to latch onto some reason why the Team isn't/shouldn't be successful.

myurr
myurr

beelsebob wrote:The stats disagree about DiResta at very least. Ricciardo has been ahead of Vergne by a wider margin for most of the season. That doesn't make me trust your assessment of Hulkenburg much ;).
What's more those stats aren't taking into account the cock ups by the team in the last three races for DiResta. They've likely cost him a lot of points in those races.

turbof1

Yeah he fought himself back to the points every time. Chances are good he could have scored a podium if the team did their job properly. Paul will be leaving Force India, that I am sure about.
#AeroFrodo

iotar__

beelsebob wrote:
iotar__ wrote:
beelsebob wrote: That or DiResta and Riccardo, but yeh, that's very sane.
Yeah right It is possible that RG lost his touch, that's what castrating blown up penalties, wife, kid ;-) and 1,5 season of team treatment can do to a driver but you can't tell it now. No proper environment to judge. As for possible "sane replacements": Hulkenberg was outraced and outqualified by ancient Rubens, and di Resta by below average Sutil, Ricciardo is slightly better than the mess of a driver Vergne is
The stats disagree about DiResta at very least. Ricciardo has been ahead of Vergne by a wider margin for most of the season. That doesn't make me trust your assessment of Hulkenburg much ;).
With DiResta I was talking about 2011 season, or combined if you want. Ignoring that and conveniently jumping into 2013 makes ME distrust your assessment of Hulkenberg (I don't know why, it's your logic not mine). And yes it did happen Hulkenberg was out-paced and out-raced by ancient Barrichello and I don't mean even stats but general trend during the season. Not only regarding Hulkenberg.

Looks like we're not going to agree, it sometimes happens, even in places like internet boards or youtube comments section. Although I can accept the fact that someone may think that Lotus should fight with top teams to acquire services of drivers like Vergne, Sutil or Barrichello I can't really relate to that logic and I'd put in not connected to reality fantasy land :wink:

Particularly Ricciardo as a potential Lotus driver is interesting. He had no more than five solid at best races and his only point of reference is messy Vergne. I can't see any other team trying to hire him but Lotus suddenly should? Is this some kind of goldfish memory logic because one of those five races happened two days ago? Yes statistically "he is better by a wider margin than Vergne" but could you expand this one a bit? Which particular races make you sure about his abilities?

It's a bit OT but I wonder how media selling some drivers and not the others affects public perception and creates let's replace Grosjean with Ricciardo and Hulkenberg as a super star ideas. Tell me you didn't notice how, to use a popular example, Brundle approaches every overtake/crash with a preconceived notion. Then when reality doesn't match it he gradually loses confidence (voice) and ends with some cop out or ploughs through it. I don't mean being behind local drivers and it's not only about Grosjean but these were most amusing. Every highlight overtake (Button-Silverstone-12, Hulkenberg-Malaysia-13, Schumacher-USA-12) resulted with "faith in the other driver" mantra, when you know if it were Hamilton he'd be salivating. Another funny example was Malaysia and two Lotuses overtaking, depending on a driver and result it was "top speed advantage" or "car not working".

iotar__

Cam wrote:Remember last year? Random winners. You only had to fluke the setup to win. Anyone who thinks Merc did not gain an advantage from that test is kidding themselves. They did. But that's not the whole story. Merc have obviously been working to solve the issues outside of that test and its just as probable that they were close to solving them anyway. Arguably the tire test gave them answers on direction, direction they already had and needed data to prove. Merc have a very strong team, a will to win (at all costs by the test saga story) and a very quick car over one lap. It's not that hard to join the dots. Merc have done well, played the game, and got results. Isn't that what F1 is all about?
Are you serious or ironic? If serious (hopefully not and I apologise if that's the case), no I don't "remember" such thing because it didn't happen. I remember a season in which two teams won 70% of the races and should have won every single race.

About the second part: Are you saying that Formula 1 is all about R. Brawn cheating and getting help from J.Todt and FIA? I wouldn't go that far describing tyre test situation but it's an interesting point of view with a hint of deja vu. As for solving fundamental tyres problems without the help from conservative compounds choices, I've heard some smart people saying it's unlikely.

Cocles

Cam wrote:Remember last year? Random winners. You only had to fluke the setup to win. Anyone who thinks Merc did not gain an advantage from that test is kidding themselves. They did. But that's not the whole story. Merc have obviously been working to solve the issues outside of that test and its just as probable that they were close to solving them anyway. Arguably the tire test gave them answers on direction, direction they already had and needed data to prove. Merc have a very strong team, a will to win (at all costs by the test saga story) and a very quick car over one lap. It's not that hard to join the dots. Merc have done well, played the game, and got results. Isn't that what F1 is all about?
+1

zoro_f1

too shame for all drivers which had puncture on left rear tyre. i hope that everyone will learn the lesson and that is a new tyre supplier. FIA must change the rules and all teams, drivers, fans must keep calm and carry on...

Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Chuckjr

The Merc dialog has been fascinating. I enjoy the opinions. Thx mods for allowing the drift from topic. I think it's too strict at times, so extra thanks for the exception.

I havnt heard this discussed, and maybe thats because it doesn't matter, but Massa's (outstanding start btw) tire blew before he hit the corner apex. You can see it and hear it. I couldn't find it on youtube or on the web so I just shot it from my iPhone so sorry for the crap quality but you can clearly hear the tire blow before the apex as Massa's hands go opposite lock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaAsstLGU8A

Great drive back to fourth by ham. You could see his disappointment he could not get by Alonso for a podium. That would have been exceptional. Would have been nice to see those two race a few more laps.

Wow DiResta vs Ham in the race was fantastic the little I saw. Can someone leave a link of an in car of that or at least standard tv coverage or pm me please with a link? Often the USA race action coverage leaves a lot to be desired.

Great to see Webber allowed to go all out. Every race for that guy now that he's leaving will be every man for himself. He's got nothing to lose now but trophies. The next half of the season will be good times watching MW. And please, somebody fire or retrain the clutch team or for gods sake fix the starting issue Mark. How can a driver be that bad that often? Something's wrong and it needs to be addressed. Just fix it whatever it is.
Watching F1 since 1986.