2013 British GP - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2013 British GP - Silverstone

myurr wrote:
Vasconia wrote:That test in Barcelona made the difference, I would like to know what they checked because the improvement in only a few races has been impressive and very suspicius. Brawn has done it once again, it was illegal but he knew that FIA doesnt want to push Mercedes too hard because of the risk of leaving F1. Clever guy Brawn. :mrgreen:
Prove it. How did that test make a difference. Why did Merc's test make such a difference when Ferrari's testing with a 2011 chassis but 2013 mechanicals and aero (presuming Horner's accusation is accurate) not make such a difference?

If it was all such a clever ruse by Brawn then why did he ask, and obtain, permission from Charlie Whiting and why did the tribunal rule that they acted in good faith?
Oh please, I can say exactly the same, prove that this amazing change is ONLY because of the hard work. :roll:

Even if they have the same mechanics and aero is not this years car so the advantage taken by Ferrari cannot be the same.

Anyway, perhaps Mercedes could have prepared some solutions and this test gave them the chance of checking all of them and decide which one was the correct. Withouth this test they would need 3-4 races before they obtain the same result.

Because F1 is about politics, if Mercedes is banned for some races they could decide to leave F1, the pressure was great so what is has happened its not a surprise.

iotar__

Cocles wrote:
Cam wrote:Remember last year? Random winners. You only had to fluke the setup to win. Anyone who thinks Merc did not gain an advantage from that test is kidding themselves. They did. But that's not the whole story. Merc have obviously been working to solve the issues outside of that test and its just as probable that they were close to solving them anyway. Arguably the tire test gave them answers on direction, direction they already had and needed data to prove. Merc have a very strong team, a will to win (at all costs by the test saga story) and a very quick car over one lap. It's not that hard to join the dots. Merc have done well, played the game, and got results. Isn't that what F1 is all about?
+1
No it should -999999 for this nonsense. What kind of two characters post is that anyway?

It's another visible evidence of failure of post scoring system. What random winners? Webber, Vettel, Hamilton and Button? I can give you a small question mark about Barcelona with McLaren tyre management problems, the rest is easy: McLaren should have won Abu Dhabi, China, Malaysia and Red Bull Germany in normal circumstances. Random and fluking.

beelsebob

iotar__ wrote:
Cocles wrote:
Cam wrote:Remember last year? Random winners. You only had to fluke the setup to win. Anyone who thinks Merc did not gain an advantage from that test is kidding themselves. They did. But that's not the whole story. Merc have obviously been working to solve the issues outside of that test and its just as probable that they were close to solving them anyway. Arguably the tire test gave them answers on direction, direction they already had and needed data to prove. Merc have a very strong team, a will to win (at all costs by the test saga story) and a very quick car over one lap. It's not that hard to join the dots. Merc have done well, played the game, and got results. Isn't that what F1 is all about?
+1
No it should -999999 for this nonsense. What kind of two characters post is that anyway?

It's another visible evidence of failure of post scoring system. What random winners? Webber, Vettel, Hamilton and Button? I can give you a small question mark about Barcelona with McLaren tyre management problems, the rest is easy: McLaren should have won Abu Dhabi, China, Malaysia and Red Bull Germany in normal circumstances. Random and fluking.
Given Hamilton's performance overtaking the leaders (including the RedBulls) at that race, I'd suggest that McLaren should have won Germany under normal circumstances.

iotar__

beelsebob wrote: Given Hamilton's performance overtaking the leaders (including the RedBulls) at that race, I'd suggest that McLaren should have won Germany under normal circumstances.
Overtaking RB while leading the race from pole (normal dry race) wouldn't have been easy in Germany. Add to that tyre management advantage (Button-Vettel comparison) but it's splitting hair and doesn't change the main point.

Cam

iotar__ wrote:
Are you serious or ironic? If serious (hopefully not and I apologise if that's the case), no I don't "remember" such thing because it didn't happen. I remember a season in which two teams won 70% of the races and should have won every single race.

About the second part: Are you saying that Formula 1 is all about R. Brawn cheating and getting help from J.Todt and FIA? I wouldn't go that far describing tyre test situation but it's an interesting point of view with a hint of deja vu. As for solving fundamental tyres problems without the help from conservative compounds choices, I've heard some smart people saying it's unlikely.
Tough crowd. The early races last year saw a real mixed bag of winners and the teams had no idea why. Hence the lottery term was used, a lot. Remember?

Swimming in the 'grey area' is where performance advantages are found. One could argue that Merc found some advantage through that test. It's smart. If it was deliberate it payed off brilliantly, don't you think? But that test was not the crux of improvement. They have a fast car. Ask any team what they prefer, fast or reliable. What do you think they would choose? Lotus is very reliable. Always in the points. Not fast. It's easier to improve reliability than gain pace. This is what Merc have done. I'm no Merc fan. But I respect what they've done.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Juzh

beelsebob wrote: Given Hamilton's performance overtaking the leaders (including the RedBulls) at that race, I'd suggest that McLaren should have won Germany under normal circumstances.
Hamilton on new tyres, leaders in the middle of the stint. Big difference.

Regle

Cam wrote:
iotar__ wrote: Are you serious or ironic? If serious (hopefully not and I apologise if that's the case), no I don't "remember" such thing because it didn't happen. I remember a season in which two teams won 70% of the races and should have won every single race.

About the second part: Are you saying that Formula 1 is all about R. Brawn cheating and getting help from J.Todt and FIA? I wouldn't go that far describing tyre test situation but it's an interesting point of view with a hint of deja vu. As for solving fundamental tyres problems without the help from conservative compounds choices, I've heard some smart people saying it's unlikely.
Tough crowd. The early races last year saw a real mixed bag of winners and the teams had no idea why. Hence the lottery term was used, a lot. Remember?

Swimming in the 'grey area' is where performance advantages are found. One could argue that Merc found some advantage through that test. It's smart. If it was deliberate it payed off brilliantly, don't you think? But that test was not the crux of improvement. They have a fast car. Ask any team what they prefer, fast or reliable. What do you think they would choose? Lotus is very reliable. Always in the points. Not fast. It's easier to improve reliability than gain pace. This is what Merc have done. I'm no Merc fan. But I respect what they've done.
They had a fast car in Qualifying which was nowhere to be seen in the race. That is not the same as unreliable. It's not like their alternator was failing on a regular basis and they could fix that by changing their supplier.

SilverArrow10

Deleted
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Joie de vivre

Deleted.