2013 United States Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
danielk
danielk

Re: 2013 United States Grand Prix

I must say the race was fairly boring due to everyone protecting tires and pushing for a 1 stop race. People were not able to push and i rarely am getting board with this protect your tires stuff!

Option 1: Make the tires super durable that you can push and push but bring back refuelling.

Option 2: Make tires that degrade by a certain amount no matter how hard you push on them, none of this im driving slow to save tires (this may be very hard to do)

Option 3: enforce a mandatory number of pit stops whether this be 2 or 3 (race dependant), this way cars will simply pit when they have finished getting the maximum from the tires and will push more throughout the race as they no there is no point protecting the tires as they have to get rid of them anyway.

Redragon

danielk wrote:I must say the race was fairly boring due to everyone protecting tires and pushing for a 1 stop race. People were not able to push and i rarely am getting board with this protect your tires stuff!

Option 1: Make the tires super durable that you can push and push but bring back refuelling.

Option 2: Make tires that degrade by a certain amount no matter how hard you push on them, none of this im driving slow to save tires (this may be very hard to do)

Option 3: enforce a mandatory number of pit stops whether this be 2 or 3 (race dependant), this way cars will simply pit when they have finished getting the maximum from the tires and will push more throughout the race as they no there is no point protecting the tires as they have to get rid of them anyway.
As F1 is heading to be greener and option 2 it would be a dream but don't think is possible. I really like your 3rd option.

Pup
Pup

Phillyred wrote:Not sure if this has been brought up, but being an American fan living IN America I was pretty pissed that I couldn't find the race live on TV here. Usually the race is broadcast on NBCSHD, but when the race was live they had the friggin' Olympic Trials and it was women's curling.. I had to find a live Sky F1 Sports stream online which is fine because I like Sky, but come on??!! The race was finally rebroadcast "live" at 5:30pm local time... With social media it is almost impossible not to have the race spoiled before you see it.
The race was live on NBC. But women's curling was probably better.

gray41

Shorten the races to around a hour worth of laps, have one set of tyres that can be used flat out for the whole race.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Phillyred
Phillyred

Pup wrote:
Phillyred wrote:Not sure if this has been brought up, but being an American fan living IN America I was pretty pissed that I couldn't find the race live on TV here. Usually the race is broadcast on NBCSHD, but when the race was live they had the friggin' Olympic Trials and it was women's curling.. I had to find a live Sky F1 Sports stream online which is fine because I like Sky, but come on??!! The race was finally rebroadcast "live" at 5:30pm local time... With social media it is almost impossible not to have the race spoiled before you see it.
The race was live on NBC. But women's curling was probably better.
Damn it! I should have looked harder! Oh well.. Again, I do enjoy Sky's coverage better though. =D>

FW17

Yurasyk
Yurasyk

MOWOG

Actually, in the course of the weekend, practice appeared on NBC Sports, qualfying was on CNBC, and the race was on the main NBC channel. All very confusing and highly irritating for the fans. :evil: It also confuses most DVR's, so when you get home, settle into your comfy chair wearing your Villenueve hat and Stewart Grand Prix T shirt, you get the local dog show or some such drivel. Maddening is what it is. :wtf:

NBC has NBC network, MSNBC, CNBC, NBCSP and NBCFN and they shuttle programming around among the various channels to suit their own convenience (and maximize their ad revenue, one supposes.) :(

Actually, that women's curling is pretty heady stuff! \:D/
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

xDama
xDama

lebesset wrote:
Donuts wrote:Romain Grosjean, what a performance! Heikki Kovalainen give the "car keys" to Davide Valsechi!
romain...drive of the day

heikki ....car problems
Indeed. Heikki did a good job. Lost it a bit at the start and then car problems. Shame, could have been a points finish maybe!
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

atanatizante

On the podium Vettel was yawning heavily and after the race he said on RTL that unfortunately he was taking a nap between lap and 4 and 52 ...

Another interesting thing is drivers top speed in the race : http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f ... 20Trap.pdf, compared to qualy ones : http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html ...
Now what puzzles me is the fact that Rosberg was almost the fastest in the race and in qualy when he has had the lightest car he was 5kph slower and further more he has gain the most from all of the drivers between qualy and the race.
And Lewis was the slowest in the race ... maybe he didn't used the DRS in the race or has had a faulty one?

And again about Lewis's non DRS top speed: he was easily passed by Webber but the latter couldn't pass Grosjean knowing the Frenchman was at least 5kph slower then Lewis : http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html
Yeah, those speeds were with DRS on but you can say that Lotus's non DRS top speed was higher than Lewis's one?
Or maybe Lewis let him past in order not to destroy his tyre management is the real reason and in addition Grosjean used his entire KERS after the T11in order to get a better exit and the best top speed on the DRS zone?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Hail22

Mark Webber in Austin on why he is quitting Formula 1:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgYYxkrFo1Q[/youtube]

He tells it like it is, its a shame Formula 1 is becoming a procession.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

atanatizante wrote: Or maybe Lewis let him past in order not to destroy his tyre management is the real reason and in addition Grosjean used his entire KERS after the T11in order to get a better exit and the best top speed on the DRS zone?
Eh? Hamilton got caught out by an opportunistic move by Webber.

Phil

atanatizante wrote:what puzzles me is the fact that Rosberg was almost the fastest in the race and in qualy when he has had the lightest car he was 5kph slower and further more he has gain the most from all of the drivers between qualy and the race.
I would guess that might be down to being able to use the tow of a car AND drs along the long straight during the race (at least if the situation presents itself). Maybe it was also partly (or in combination) of different track conditions. Wasn't there quite a lot of wind on Saturday too?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

komninosm
komninosm

danielk wrote:I must say the race was fairly boring due to everyone protecting tires and pushing for a 1 stop race. People were not able to push and i rarely am getting board with this protect your tires stuff!

There's another option that I mentioned earlier. Make pit stops faster by making entries and exits faster and smaller. Then bring back refueling too so pit stops increase your average speed even more. Then you'll actually see strategies with more pit stops.

dans79

Phil wrote: I would guess that might be down to being able to use the tow of a car AND drs along the long straight during the race (at least if the situation presents itself). Maybe it was also partly (or in combination) of different track conditions. Wasn't there quite a lot of wind on Saturday too?
It was cooler and windier on Saturday. Gusts on Saturday reached 29 MPH.
197 104 103 7