2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ecapox

Re: 2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne 13-16th March

Hopefully the less experienced drivers will crash out quickly. Then we can see the true drivers handle a new car with a new powerband with surgical precision. I'm excited!

PlatinumZealot

They won't be crashing without taking a few victims with them!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Hail22

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FUFn6sGpJ8[/youtube]

The Roars preview and tips for this weekends grand prix:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/03/10/20 ... +Sports%29

Though I have to probably agree that Hamilton and Rosberg will lock out the front row...the rest of the grid is quite "Ballsy" to predict.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

ergenomic

I went for a run around Albert Park on a visit to Melbourne in the last week of February, it was so interesting and got so excited that I rushed back to to the hotel to do another lap and take some photos. Unfortunately I am not going this weekend, last time was 2 years ago.

It was getting late in the evening, so the photos are dark but I thought you may find these interesting. One thing that was quite apparent to me running around the track was the abrasiveness of the road, it is nowhere near as smooth as nice bitumen roads being laid in high traffic areas. Also some interesting shots of the tire walls, ripple strips and astroturf. Hope you find this interesting:

Chuckjr

Interesting. Some think the factory Mercs will leave Oz with only a handful of points. Makes you wonder what's up with the gearbox.

Source: http://peterwindsor.com/2014/03/06/rob- ... cks-eight/

"In addition, I asked Rob Wilson (above, with a disguised F1 Racing Editor, Anthony Rowlinson, pictured after a recent TRE filming session) for his top eight. Rob is not only one of the world’s leading driver coaches and regular guest on The Racer’s Edge but also a remarkably perceptive motor racing observer. His list is a little specialized, as you would expect with a guy who also plays bass for Grand Prairie, but he nonetheless diligently exercised his grey cells when we asked him for his selections. And don’t forget that Rob has worked closely with ten of the F1 drivers who will be starting the 2014 season in Melbourne. This is his top eight for the Australian GP:

1 Kimi Raikkonen

2 Sergio Perez

3 Valtteri Bottas

4 Jenson Button

5 Felipe Massa

6 Nico Rosberg

7 Esteban Gutierrez

8 Kevin Magnussen

Obviously Rob’s counting on a few of the fancied runners (Lewis, for example, and Fernando) having mechanical dramas and he’s also clearly discounting the Renault runners at this stage (although he did nominate Daniel Ricciardo to finish P9)."
Watching F1 since 1986.

iotar__

"Remarkably perceptive motor racing observer" puts top eight based on random mechanical DNFs and wishful thinking? It must be a joke on Windsor - literally. Two drivers from McL, Williams - one from Mercedes, why (statistics)?

Its funny how Mercedes engine teams drivers are already reading prepared lines about how great new rules are - more driver dependent (Magnussen) etc., let's put Renault engine in your car and see what you can do with it. Reliability and fuel saving driver dependent(?) - pinnacle of motorsport.

More bad news - time to install Java :cry:.

ironrose

Scuderia Ferrai gets two pit garage locations :? :? :? .. One next to redbull and one next to mercerdes

Scuderia Ferrai gets two pit garage locations :? :? :? .. One next to redbull and one next to mercerdes

dren

Vettel massa raikkonen for my ballsy prediction

Hamilton rosberg massa for my likely prediction
Honda!

mikeerfol

Hoping for rain on Sunday :D

raymondu999

mikeerfol wrote:Hoping for rain on Sunday :D
Been too long since our last we don't-see-slicks race. I'd love one of those.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bauc

raymondu999 wrote:
If the start of the new F1 era was not already spiced enough and now we have rain forecast as well .....LOL this will be fun \:D/
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mikeerfol

bauc wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
If the start of the new F1 era was not already spiced enough and now we have rain forecast as well .....LOL this will be fun \:D/
Indeed, just 10 or so laps on inters in Malaysia. I think 2013 was the driest season ever :P

SiLo

I want a dry race, just to get a better picture one on the pace of the cars. It can rain at the second race though :P
Felipe Baby!

turbof1

Oh that's possible yes. It was the japanese GP in any case.

I's say if raining conditions are heavy but predictable and constant, just like then, Hamilton has a very good shot. If it switches constantly between wet, half dry and full dry, it might be a typical Button scenario.
#AeroFrodo

markn93

What effect does a wet race have on fuel consumption? Ignoring the likelihood of more safety cars that is.
Last edited by markn93 on 10 Mar 2014, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.