Driver's (bad) luck

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zeph
zeph

Driver's (bad) luck

MOD NOTE: This topic was split from the Austrian Grand Prix race thread. Basically, a silly discussion about luck.
So, move on, nothing to see here!

I just hope Hamilton didn't inherit Webber's luck.
Last edited by Steven on 16 Mar 2014, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Yin-Yang split from race thread

mnmracer
mnmracer

Re: 2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne 13-16th March

zeph wrote:I just hope Hamilton didn't inherit Webber's luck.
Vettel's luck hasn't changed either.

myurr
myurr

mnmracer wrote:
zeph wrote:I just hope Hamilton didn't inherit Webber's luck.
Vettel's luck hasn't changed either.
Eh? He's always been more lucky than unlucky.

myurr
myurr

mnmracer wrote:Ehm, no. He's had just as many mechanical failures in qualifying and in the race as Webber, just in quantity. He's lost a boat load more points than Webber because of those.
Ehm no, he's had a few but he's also had many times where he's lucked into good results or benefited from safety cars and the like. He's certainly not known as an unlucky driver. How many times do you hear people say "Oh look there goes unlucky Sebastian"?

Hamilton is unlucky, he's lost so many points over the last few years to mechanical gremlins or his team messing up. Vettel not so much.

thevlack
thevlack

myurr wrote:
mnmracer wrote:Ehm, no. He's had just as many mechanical failures in qualifying and in the race as Webber, just in quantity. He's lost a boat load more points than Webber because of those.
Ehm no, he's had a few but he's also had many times where he's lucked into good results or benefited from safety cars and the like. He's certainly not known as an unlucky driver. How many times do you hear people say "Oh look there goes unlucky Sebastian"?

Hamilton is unlucky, he's lost so many points over the last few years to mechanical gremlins or his team messing up. Vettel not so much.
Champions Luck?

mnmracer
mnmracer

myurr wrote:

I'm sorry, but it is a simple numbers game. It is a fact that Vettel and Webber have had just as many mechanical failures. I'm sorry if you don't like that, but that doesn't change the facts.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Lady luck hates Hamilton it seems.

There was a single Mercedes powered car that retired from technical issues it had to be an engine from the team that actually makes and understands the engines that failed.

And it had to be Hamilton's.

While he was starting the first race of the season from pole.
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 16 Mar 2014, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

zeph
zeph

GrizzleBoy wrote:Lady luck hates Hamilton it seems.

There was a single Mercedes powered car that retired from technical issues it had to be an engine from the team that actually makes and understands the engines that failed.

And it had to be Hamilton's.

While he was starting the first race of the season from pole.
It makes you worry that he used up all his luck in Brazil 2008...

myurr
myurr

mnmracer wrote:I'm sorry, but it is a simple numbers game. It is a fact that Vettel and Webber have had just as many mechanical failures. I'm sorry if you don't like that, but that doesn't change the facts.
Go on then, supply all the figures and prove it. And show how unlucky Vettel is compared to the other drivers on the grid, especially in terms of places lost. He's had a fair few failures in free practice or upsets in qualifying only to get a clear run in the races. He's also had an absolutely massive car advantage over the last few years, hence this being the first time he's been beaten since last July. That's 8 months of perfect reliability perfect results and an unbeatable car.

You can try and hide behind numbers and statistics, or try to rewrite history, but Vettel really isn't an unlucky driver when it comes to the car grinding to a complete halt in the race.

Juzh

myurr wrote:
mnmracer wrote:I'm sorry, but it is a simple numbers game. It is a fact that Vettel and Webber have had just as many mechanical failures. I'm sorry if you don't like that, but that doesn't change the facts.
Go on then, supply all the figures and prove it. And show how unlucky Vettel is compared to the other drivers on the grid, especially in terms of places lost. He's had a fair few failures in free practice or upsets in qualifying only to get a clear run in the races. He's also had an absolutely massive car advantage over the last few years, hence this being the first time he's been beaten since last July. That's 8 months of perfect reliability perfect results and an unbeatable car.

You can try and hide behind numbers and statistics, or try to rewrite history, but Vettel really isn't an unlucky driver when it comes to the car grinding to a complete halt in the race.
[...] Just a few i remember off the top of my head: Bahrain 2010, australia 2010, korea 2010, abu dhabi 2011, valencia 2012, italy 2012, great britain 2013.

But here you go, a complete list with all the figures:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/groups/f1/fo ... e=1&num=15
Last edited by Steven on 16 Mar 2014, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments

zeph
zeph

myurr wrote: You can try and hide behind numbers and statistics, or try to rewrite history, but Vettel really isn't an unlucky driver when it comes to the car grinding to a complete halt in the race.
Yes, anybody can grab any set of numbers/stats to support their pet theory.

Vettel is a lucky driver. Good for him.
Last edited by zeph on 16 Mar 2014, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

myurr
myurr

Juzh wrote:
myurr wrote:

Do you have a memory of a goldfish? Just a few i remember off the top of my head: Bahrain 2010, australia 2010, korea 2010, abu dhabi 2011, valencia 2012, italy 2012, great britain 2013.

But here you go, a complete list with all the figures:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/groups/f1/fo ... e=1&num=15
Ooo personal insults aren't we clever. You've ignored the central point though. For a start that thread only lists Vettel vs Webber with nothing comparing to other drivers on the list. It also does nothing to say how many points were ultimately lost.

You're able to list, off the top of your head, one race last year, two the year before, one the year before that. That's not unlucky that's normal and probably pretty average on the grid!!

Your central premise is that Vettel is unlucky and that list does not support this claim.

mnmracer
mnmracer

myurr wrote:
That's 8 months of perfect reliability perfect results and an unbeatable car.
I'm sorry, but that just proves how misinformed you are.
The fact that Vettel won in Germany (KERS), Italy (gearbox), Japan (KERS) and India (KERS) doesn't mean he had "8 months of perfect reliability".

I'm not blaming you for being misinformed, we all are at some point, but let's aim to become informed, shall we?
I don't think this is the place to go into a lengthy discussion, but you can read the match-up between Vettel and Webber here.

As for comparing to Lewis, before today, in the last 10 years Sebastian Vettel retired from, or lost, the lead 7 times due to mechanical issues. Lewis Hamilton retired from, or lost, the lead 4 times due to mechanical issues. Vettel inherited 1 win, Hamilton inherited 2.

Juzh

myurr wrote: Ooo personal insults aren't we clever. You've ignored the central point though. For a start that thread only lists Vettel vs Webber with nothing comparing to other drivers on the list. It also does nothing to say how many points were ultimately lost.

You're able to list, off the top of your head, one race last year, two the year before, one the year before that. That's not unlucky that's normal and probably pretty average on the grid!!

Your central premise is that Vettel is unlucky and that list does not support this claim.
I'll just quote myself from earlier in this thread:
Arguing with self-centric, facts omitting, excuse finding hamilton fans is really like talking to a wall.

thomin

zeph wrote:
myurr wrote: You can try and hide behind numbers and statistics, or try to rewrite history, but Vettel really isn't an unlucky driver when it comes to the car grinding to a complete halt in the race.
Yes, anybody can grab any set of numbers/stats to support their pet theory.

Vettel is a lucky driver. Good for him.
Lol, how else would you define luck but with numbers? Luck is a statistical assessment.