2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SectorOne

Re: 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

Lauda shoots from the hip, i think we all know that.
But he´s not an idiot.

It´s the same like Bernie, Bernie says some of the craziest sh*t i´ve ever heard but there´s no doubt in my mind he´s very very sharp in his mind when it really comes down to it.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

therealjustin

My top 5 for Sepang:

Rosberg
Bottas
Magnussen
Alonso
Button

Hamilton will have more problems that will likely be self-inflicted. He just doesn't seem to be able to focus. I also think Marussia will score their first point :mrgreen:

Helios

therealjustin wrote:
Hamilton will have more problems that will likely be self-inflicted. He just doesn't seem to be able to focus.
#-o

Coulthard's Jaw

Mercedes are going to have a bi advantage with the long straights, hard to see past them.

example

therealjustin wrote: He just doesn't seem to be able to focus.
Sure, that's why his engine wasn't working properly.

Dyanxx

therealjustin wrote:My top 5 for Sepang:

Rosberg
Bottas
Magnussen
Alonso
Button

Hamilton will have more problems that will likely be self-inflicted. He just doesn't seem to be able to focus. I also think Marussia will score their first point :mrgreen:
:?

Ferraripilot

Mercedes 1-2 finish, front row qualy knock out.

Ferrari should perform better here as their car per Ferrari is quick in the corners.

I'm expecting significantly higher top speeds on the two straights here than perhaps we've ever seen, pole time if dry will be in the low 1:36s upper 1:35s.

De Jokke

Phil wrote:Anyone else concerned that the problems Hamilton suffered in Australia might carry over to Sepang as well? I have a bad feeling... 5 engines for the year and misfires in Australia.... I really hope they find the cause (without losing the engine).
I here you, with all the bad luck he has had + more severe conditions (malaysia), if a merc breaks down, you can bet your money on it who it's going to be :roll:
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Juzh

Ferraripilot wrote:Mercedes 1-2 finish, front row qualy knock out.

Ferrari should perform better here as their car per Ferrari is quick in the corners.

I'm expecting significantly higher top speeds on the two straights here than perhaps we've ever seen, pole time if dry will be in the low 1:36s upper 1:35s.
More like upper 36 to low 37. and that's optimistic.

De Jokke

Helios wrote:One thing is for sure: Lewis is under massive pressure for the Malaysian GP. He's already got a 25point deficit to Rosberg and everyone in the team knows that these first couple of races are the most important ones for Mercedes, should they lose their car-advantage to RB or any other team as the season continues. Plus he really needs to avoid the inner team- pendulum swinging towards Rosberg, because despite their talk about both drivers being equally treated and free to fight they also know that at some stage they simply need to focus on one of them a tad more if they want to win the drivers championship. We have seen how wrong it can go with McLaren in 2007 for example.
If they lose their advantage, it's Lewis who'll make the difference. So actually the superb merc is now an advantage for Rosberg.

I don't think he's under massive pressure but he'll know that he can't afford many more "hick-ups" from his team.

De Jokke

Anyone concerned about the gear ratios of the merc on these long malaysian straights?

f1316

raymondu999 wrote:Let's take a look at strategy! Been a while since we did that. Melbourne was done using OOP, but I'm reasonably confident that OP was possible. In hindsight some teams could have gambled with taking on mediums at the safety car and running to the end.

I'm gonna guess that OOP and OPP will be the default strategies for Malaysia
I think the reason teams didn't go for primes at the safety car was because the difference between the two compounds was, apparently, so much and they didn't want to be losing two secs per lap for the rest of the race as it would easily outweigh the saving of one less pit stop.

I was surprised that Button, for example, immediately started doing fastest sectors once he switched to the primes, so perhaps in hindsight it would have worked, but I don't think its what they anticipated.

Ferraripilot

Juzh wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:
More like upper 36 to low 37. and that's optimistic.

What tires are we looking at for this race?

beelsebob

If you think Lewis is under massive pressure because of one breakdown in a season of 19 races, where everyone's cars will be unreliable, you're really grasping at straws.

el-Magico

It is going to be the first complete walk-over by the Scuderia Ferrari..
Alonso 1st, closely followed by Raikkonen in 2nd.. and Massa 3rd 40+seconds behind Raikkonen [-o<
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."