2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
gray41

Re: 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

So Lewis wasn't the first to win with car 44, the first and only time was Maurice Trintignant, 1955 Monaco Grand Prix
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

djos

Can someone please explain to me how the FIA can legally penalize someone twice for the same incident?

Dan took his 10sec penalty in the race so how can they legally give him a 10 place grid penalty for the next race?

That would be like being fined twice for the same parking infringement which would be thrown out by any western court in 5 seconds flat!
Last edited by djos on 31 Mar 2014, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

Blackout

Where are the ''intermediate 1'' and 2 located ? http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f ... ds_V01.pdf
At the end of sector 1 and S2 ?

langwadt

djos wrote:Can someone please explain to me how the FIA can legally penalize someone twice for the same incident?

Fan took his 10sec penalty in the race so how can they legally give him a 10 place grid penalty for the next race?

That would be like being fined twice for the same parking infringement which would be thrown out by any western court in 5 seconds flat!
The penalty for unsafe release is 10 second and 10 places, so it's more like a fine plus a suspended license for speeding
If the teams wants to do 2.5 second stops instead of 3 second stops fine, but loose wheels etc. can be very dangerous so the
FIA want to make sure that the teams know it will not be tolerated

djos

It still seems a grossly excessive punishment - fair enuf if the unsafe release involved a collision with another car in pit lane but for a loose wheel nut!!!

His race is already ruined, wrecking his next race is just cruel (regardless of the driver involved).
Last edited by djos on 31 Mar 2014, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

gray41

Didn't something happen with a mechanic in the pit lane without all the correct gear on too?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Juzh

Blackout wrote:Where are the ''intermediate 1'' and 2 located ? http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f ... ds_V01.pdf
At the end of sector 1 and S2 ?
yes

myurr

gray41 wrote:Didn't something happen with a mechanic in the pit lane without all the correct gear on too?
Yes. A guy with a "leaf blower" came out to cool the brakes as the car was being wheeled back into its pit box. He wasn't wearing any safety gear.

Ricciardo's punishment is harsh but the team have known about the rules in advance and took a risk with their pitstop procedure. You can guarantee that Red Bull are now adjusting their procedures in an effort to make sure it won't happen again and will likely give up a little bit of time to make sure of it. I also wouldn't be surprised if other teams were checking their own procedures to make sure that they are unlikely to suffer the same kind of penalty.

So from the FIAs point of view the harsh penalty will have worked perfectly.

Rikhart

langwadt wrote:
20.4 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason.
For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a 'significant portion'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvSb0TSjfnE

Kimi turned and drove over Kevins front wing so he must have been along side. Kimi didn't look in his mirrors, Kevin expected Kimi to know he was there, they were both wrong, it was just racing.

I think Kevin mostly took the blame for costing the team points by making a too risky move very early in a long race
on a straight
on a straight
on a straight
on a straight
on a straight

Tim.Wright

djos wrote:It still seems a grossly excessive punishment - fair enuf if the unsafe release involved a collision with another car in put lane but for a loose wheel nut!!!

His race is already ruined, wrecking his next race is just cruel (regardless of the driver involved).
Considering that wayward wheels have both injured and killed people within the last few years, something pretty significant needed to be done as a deterrant.
Not the engineer at Force India

Juzh

50/50 blame imo. racing incident.

djos

Tim.Wright wrote:
djos wrote:It still seems a grossly excessive punishment - fair enuf if the unsafe release involved a collision with another car in put lane but for a loose wheel nut!!!

Considering that wayward wheels have both injured and killed people within the last few years, something pretty significant needed to be done as a deterrant.
Fully understood however I think the punishment needs to fit the crime - redbull realized their error and brought Dan to a safe halt in pit lane.

Had they not done this (iirc this happened to Ferrari with Alonso and he lost a wheel out on circuit) then I'd agree the punishment was fair and reasonable.

I guess what I'm saying is the punishment needs to fit the crime - the FIA needs a graduated penalty system for this sort of thing instead of a one size fits all punishment.

I'd hate to see a repeat of this to Alonso, Vettel or Hamilton with them in a three way fight for the title with 2 or 3 races to go - it would ruin the year IMO.
"In downforce we trust"

beelsebob

djos wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:

Fully understood however I think the punishment needs to fit the crime - redbull realized their error and brought Dan to a safe halt in pit lane.
I think the punishment does fit the crime. We've had years of very minor punishments for this offence, and teams have not adjusted their behaviour. The punishment needs to get stricter until they do.

djos

beelsebob wrote: I think the punishment does fit the crime. We've had years of very minor punishments for this offence, and teams have not adjusted their behaviour. The punishment needs to get stricter until they do.
I agree with you on the previously minor penalties, I just hope that a DR style incident doesnt cost us a great championship battle at the end of the season.

EDIT: I guess I'd just like to see a graduated penalty system. eg dont do a wheel nut up properly but safely retrieve the car before it exits pit lane and get 10sec stop go penalty vs car exits pit lane and wheel falls off on circuit and get the full 10sec stop go plus next race grid penalty.

This imo seems "more just". 8)
"In downforce we trust"

Unc1eM0nty

djos wrote:Can someone please explain to me how the FIA can legally penalize someone twice for the same incident?

Dan took his 10sec penalty in the race so how can they legally give him a 10 place grid penalty for the next race?

I hate the fact that they punish a driver for a team mistake, it's just fundamentally unfair, they should just dock the team constructor points and leave the driver out of it.

or, make the crew tidy up after all the other teams on Sunday evening 8)