2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
f1316

Re: 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

raymondu999 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Bahrain as a circuit will not suit their car, so I expect them to be further away.
Don't forget they did dominate the last 2 races here though - and in 2012 that RB8 wasn't dominant at that stage in the season
I think Alonso's problems in the race actually robbed us of a close race between the two last year. Seb did a vital move of getting back past Alonso on the first lap, but if all had been well I think they would have been close once Alonso was past Rosberg. If you look at the quali times, I can't remember the Ferrari being that close to the RB in that whole era (edit: I should say they rarely were; of course they even got some dry poles in 2010), and they usually stepped up a little in the race relative to quali.

But I digress...

I suspect Ferrari will be close to RB this weekend as well and therefore have a chance of being best of the rest. Alonso stated that they seemed to struggled (slide) more on the harder tyres, so the inclusion of the soft might play to their strengths more.

Could even be, and perhaps I'm clutching at straws, that Mercedes' tyre usage is still worse than some others on softer compounds; could be that their car gets them into the harder compunds' window better but overheats the softer ones. Likewise, Ferrari looked the worst car on tyres in Malaysia but the reported sliding could be because they're not getting them into the window quickly enough (and then the problem compunds itself).

Like I say, possibly wishful thinking.

Noemfster_ZA

Any thoughts on the race being a night race this year ? . Still cant see anybody beating the Mercs , but I think we might see a few surprises with colder surface temps than usual and what the teams experienced in winter testing

f1universe

f1316 wrote:
I suspect Ferrari will be close to RB this weekend as well and therefore have a chance of being best of the rest.
You are too optimistic

mclaren_mircea

Ferrari again and Ferrari all over again. Be realistic. Bahrain will be much of traction and straight line speed, and all of us knows that Ferrari is inferior to the top 5 teams on this aspects. I expect them to struggle not only behind Red Bull but also behind Mclaren because of the traction and behind Williams because of their efficiency down the straights. And remember, that Ferrari won't have updates until China or even Europe, only software modifications. =D>

Phillyred

We all have seen Alonso's stellar ability to handle and over-achieve with Ferrari's underwhelming cars in the past so this lends me to believe that Kimi's performance with this year's car is probably a better representation of the car's overall pace despite rumors of Kimi having braking issues which he has flat out denied recently.

Darknight

lio007 wrote:a little bit OT: after the Bahrain-GP on Tue and Wed there is the first in-season-testing for all teams.
With the same procedure like winter-testing: one car per team during testing?
Currently 7:45pm and I am sitting outside. Temp is 22c which is much much cooler than during the day. Given the extremely high grip tarmac at the Bahrain International Circuit and the weather, I would dare say that this years race will be nothing like the years before. Meaning all the data that the teams had for the track would be irrelevant. I've been to the track with the lights on and its nothing but amazing!!! Cant wait for the weekend.

Also the teams will be testing right after the race weekend. I would say Bahrain has done well this year! 8 days testing pre season, 3 day race weekend, and 2 days testing in season. The track should be a blast to drive on after the F1 cars leave with all that rubber (going to attend track day event right after) :D

Darknight

Also, its still Tuesday so if anyone wants to hop over and watch the race there is still time!!!! PM me if you need expedited help in arrangements :P

Gridlock

I feel it's important to point out that, even without fanfare or attention, this race is still being held against a backdrop of tear gas and molotovs.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/bahrain/b ... -1.1312405
Protests in villages surrounding Manama began earlier this week, with witnesses reporting masked demonstrators staging rallies chanting: “No, no to Formula 1”.
The rallies have been broken up by police firing tear gas and sound grenades, with protesters hurling petrol bombs and throwing stones, according to witnesses.

dans79

Gridlock wrote:
Protests in villages surrounding Manama began earlier this week, with witnesses reporting masked demonstrators staging rallies chanting: “No, no to Formula 1”.
The rallies have been broken up by police firing tear gas and sound grenades, with protesters hurling petrol bombs and throwing stones, according to witnesses.
I highlighted the important part.
197 104 103 7

gray41

The race will go ahead, and the problems in Bahrain will go unnoticed.

The same as when F1 heads to many other areas in the world.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Gridlock

dans79 wrote: I highlighted the important part.
Let's not turn this into a politics thread, eh? You have no clue what's going on there, and neither do I, other than the reported facts - violence is occurring.

iotar__

dans79 wrote:
Gridlock wrote:
I highlighted the important part.
No you did not, you highlighted a part. That's what protesters do everywhere, those cool, embraced by TV stations and audience too, like Kiev and wherever bread helmet guy was from, or those anonymous/non-existent in Bahrain. Let's leave it at that.

dans79

iotar__ wrote: No you did not, you highlighted a part. That's what protesters do everywhere, those cool, embraced by TV stations and audience too, like Kiev and wherever bread helmet guy was from, or those anonymous/non-existent in Bahrain. Let's leave it at that.
I highlighted the part that put the protest in proper context. The article itself states that the a portion of protesters are non violent and largely ignored by the authorities. If memory serves a large portion of the protesters are the non violent ones. But as is typical of the press they get all hysterical about the fact that the authorities used tear gas on the militant protesters. I don't know what part of the world you're from, but in the states throwing a molotov cocktail at the cops is a good way of getting shot.
197 104 103 7

Pierce89

mclaren_mircea wrote:Ferrari again and Ferrari all over again. Be realistic. Bahrain will be much of traction and straight line speed, and all of us knows that Ferrari is inferior to the top 5 teams on this aspects. I expect them to struggle not only behind Red Bull but also behind Mclaren because of the traction and behind Williams because of their efficiency down the straights. And remember, that Ferrari won't have updates until China or even Europe, only software modifications. =D>
Ferrari has a front suspension upgrade now, and they have parts for China. I understand that you like Mclaren, but don't get all crazy just because someone thought Ferrari might do well. Besides, with Mclaren's lack of DF, software upgades to help power delivery should be all Ferrari need to help stay ahead of Macca.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113226
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Rikhart

Phillyred wrote:We all have seen Alonso's stellar ability to handle and over-achieve with Ferrari's underwhelming cars in the past so this lends me to believe that Kimi's performance with this year's car is probably a better representation of the car's overall pace despite rumors of Kimi having braking issues which he has flat out denied recently.
Why are you making --- up? He has not denied that in any way shape or form. And everyone knows its true, just look at his car, especially in melbourne.