2014 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Waywardism

Re: 2014 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

jz11 wrote:Is there a driver lap time chart available somewhere? I didn't see it live and was wondering how fast was DR catching FA there at the end, would have he had a chance on passing FA if the there was no finish flag error there?
The FIA website always has them.

http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f ... is_V01.pdf

Coulthard's Jaw

jz11 wrote:Is there a driver lap time chart available somewhere? I didn't see it live and was wondering how fast was DR catching FA there at the end, would have he had a chance on passing FA if the there was no finish flag error there?
The race finished as normal, it was only afterwards they decided the last two laps didn't count.

Hail22

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1NsndBBRFU[/youtube]

Ricciardo initiates class button:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rACycKJ8IuE[/youtube]

Full with Christian Horner reaction:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynHpAH_3JX8[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Guisson

I think Kimi and Sebastian's Issues are related to their driving style.. I don't know who said that before , but as they both drove a Renault powered Car these last 2 or 3 years , maybe it's because of the EBD maps ? ..On the other Hand Riccardo and Alonso ( who both drove a Ferrari powered car ) are doing a great job ..
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

gray41

Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

markn93

You beauty!

wickedz50

Whats the point in racing if team bosses are going to dictate orders on car radios? I felt strongly that if Ricardo was quick and which it seemed he truly was there was no need to Vettel on radio to let Ricardo pass. Let the guys race for a while. Eventually they will arrive at the outcome which people on the circuit will love to see. Being quick is something and getting past someone infront is something. A fair fight is all we want to see. They might as well take themselves out which could have been helpful to someone behind but thats all about racing, the adrenalin factor and driving class.
Everything apart Vettel's time with Redbull is counting. This is not going to be long we shall see Vettel make a move to Ferrari as soon as Alonso moves to Mclaren. If Alonso does not move then Vettel is moving to Mclaren.

SV: What tire is he on?

Rockie: Saem tire as you, but he's faster.

SV: Tough luck.[/quote]

I think Rocky said "Primes (same tires at the time), but he stopped later than you ".[/quote]

Correct, he did. People hear what they want it seems. They also told Vettel that Ricciardo was going to make another stop i.e. 3 stops, but that never happened.[/quote]
Last edited by wickedz50 on 20 Apr 2014, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

iotar__

RB_[Gnx] wrote:I think Kimi and Sebastian's Issues are related to their driving style.. I don't know who said that before , but as they both drove a Renault powered Car these last 2 or 3 years , maybe it's because of the EBD maps ? ..On the other Hand Riccardo and Alonso ( who both drove a Ferrari powered car ) are doing a great job ..
Other drivers don't have driving styles, why should these two be special cases? Funny how it always works one way and never exists when it's going well- on the contrary, it's a sign of talent. Without specifics and real material reasons it's only an excuse when they don't perform.
What kind of characteristics of 2014 F1 are stopping them? There was a talk about some unspecific top speed problems for S.V. in Bahrain that needed investigation and it was the last time we've heard about it. No car issue then. He looked fine in Malaysia and surely RB knows everything about his style. For the record: I wouldn't draw any far-fetched conclusions from four races apart from (repeated) observation that for the first time in his career team gives a damn about the other driver.

- Why are they showing fuel targets and energy, it's completely useless. 37,5 against 38 of fuel of whatever it is - that's pretty interesting, let me calculate what it means for racing as an advantage... nope, still useless. Now, they all used roughly third or third and a half of stored energy - who cares?
- Mercedes took care of any drama before the race and turns jokes into reality: "The result looks easier than it actually was" Bottas had no telemetry - no one cares.
- Top driver in a Red Bull wouldn't have lost to a Ferrari - Alonso or no Alonso, team orders or not

gray41

How good was the crowd today, anyone with official attendance?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

langwadt

wickedz50 wrote:Whats the point in racing if team bosses are going to dictate orders on car radios? I felt strongly that if Ricardo was quick and which it seemed he truly was there was no need to Vettel on radio to let Ricardo pass. Let the guys race for a while. Eventually they will arrive at the outcome which people on the circuit will love to see. If the Aussie all smile guy has the balls to overtake Vettel he must take on with his racing skills and not have someone from the team dictate Vettel to let him pass. Being quick is something and getting past someone infront is something. A fair fight is all we want to see. They might as well take themselves out which could have been helpful to someone behind but thats all about racing, the adrenalin factor and driving class.
Everything apart Vettel's time with Redbull is counting. This is not going to be long we shall see Vettel make a move to Ferrari as soon as Alonso moves to Mclaren. If Alonso does not move then Vettel is moving to Mclaren.

SV: What tire is he on?

Rockie: Saem tire as you, but he's faster.

SV: Tough luck.
I think Rocky said "Primes (same tires at the time), but he stopped later than you ".[/quote]

Correct, he did. People hear what they want it seems. They also told Vettel that Ricciardo was going to make another stop i.e. 3 stops, but that never happened.[/quote][/quote]

The driver are there to race, the team bosses to have all the info and the cool head to make the best decisions for the team. If letting the faster guy pass means not wasting time racing within team giving you have a chance to race for a better position from a competing team it is the smart thing to do, but it is not something you can expect the drivers to figure out for them selfs

Unc1eM0nty

iotar__ wrote:Why are they showing fuel targets and energy, it's completely useless. 37,5 against 38 of fuel of whatever it is - that's pretty interesting, let me calculate what it means for racing as an advantage... nope, still useless. Now, they all used roughly third or third and a half of stored energy - who cares?
I completely agree, these info graphics are the latest thing though so Sky and the likes just have to show them regardless.
Engine mode info would be much more relevent but the teams are not going to give this up.

I'd have thought the comentators would know better by now but they still go on and on about fuel saving, the drivers and teams say it's no worse than last year, just pack it in, please.

Kiril Varbanov

Kimi said that his driving style is probably to blame.
Figures - no official ones yet, but it was visible that there were much more people than usual. It's worth saying that ticket prices were lowered this season.

The poll for the driver of the day is now open - http://www.f1technical.net/poll/index.php?dispid=272

Emerson.F

The Massa/Fernando incident.

Btw Nico was lucky his fron left suspenion did not break with Bottas.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Ultra_Tech

The Raikonnen fans are in complete meltdown on the other forums, hilarious to watch. :lol:

The full range of excuses are coming out

"Alonso has broken Kimi mentally with his horrible mind games"

"Ferrari are treating Kimi like a number two driver"

"Stefano was the only one who wanted Kimi at Ferrari, now he's gone everyone wants Kimi out"

Hilarious to watch.

ChrisF1

Alonso pulled the same move at the start of Monaco a few years back and made Grosjean crash, for such a great driver (and probably the best starter on the grid) he often has these lapses. (Japan 2012 when he squeezed Kimi)

As for the graphics:

How annoying were those awful graphics saying 'F1 Shanghai" they kept putting on the grandstand camera on the S/F straight. Utterly pointless and distracting.