2014 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Godius

Re: 2014 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

thomin wrote:
ringo wrote:Force India to be second best or Williams. With one of the longest straights on the calender the mercedes powered cars can make up time on the straights and save tyres in the corners if they wish.

I'd say Hamilton for the win, and he doesn't have to have the fastest setup, i think he can race Rosberg again and put him into submission. Though in some way i don't mind they not clash again.
Williams looks quicker but also has tire issues, so my money would be on Force India as I believe them once again to be more consistent. Plus, Force India seems to focus on high speeds more than anyone else. They've always been fast and this year with their long gears they may have an advantage over Williams with their very short gears.
Yes but don't forget that the Williams is a front limited car and that kind of suits the characteristics of the Shanghai circuit that demands more from the front tyres than the rears.

ringo

Don't mind the gearing of the williams. I think they intend to use the rest of the rev range with some KERS to compensate for any power drops.

WIll we get rain this year?

China and rain is a good mix.
For Sure!!

Multi21

I'm imagining a pretty intense fight off the line and during the first lap if both Mercs are on the front row. Will buxton was saying that the pole position start box was dirty in Bahrain and that all the pole sitters in the support races had bad getaways. Seeing as the racing line is not on one side of the track like in Barcelona but goes from the right at the last corner to the left at the first, there shouldn't be a traction advantage from starting on either side. Does anyone think that if paddy Lowe sees them fighting hard early on, there will be an an attempt to split strategies?

Juzh

Top speed predictions? It was hinted by rosberg in pre-season testing 360kmh is possible in china, but that seem a bit like pushing it. I say 342 kmh in quali and someone with merc engine will hit 353 kmh in slipstream during the race.

basti313

Juzh wrote:Top speed predictions? It was hinted by rosberg in pre-season testing 360kmh is possible in china, but that seem a bit like pushing it. I say 342 kmh in quali and someone with merc engine will hit 353 kmh in slipstream during the race.
I think this is a little bit too high. In Malaysia everyone was finished off by drag at round 300kph, like the year before. Slipstream in the race was good for 20kph.
Last year in China everyone was hitting the rev limiter, but 2012 the Saubers were finished off by drag at 320kph.

So I expect 320kph in average, maybe some cars (Williams) getting near the 330kph in Q. The slipstream and power of the engine at these speeds should not be good for additional 20kph...so 340kph max in the race.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Juzh

basti313 wrote:
Juzh wrote:Top speed predictions? It was hinted by rosberg in pre-season testing 360kmh is possible in china, but that seem a bit like pushing it. I say 342 kmh in quali and someone with merc engine will hit 353 kmh in slipstream during the race.
I think this is a little bit too high. In Malaysia everyone was finished off by drag at round 300kph, like the year before. Slipstream in the race was good for 20kph.
Last year in China everyone was hitting the rev limiter, but 2012 the Saubers were finished off by drag at 320kph.

So I expect 320kph in average, maybe some cars (Williams) getting near the 330kph in Q. The slipstream and power of the engine at these speeds should not be good for additional 20kph...so 340kph max in the race.
I'm saying of course with DRS open. Top race speed in bahrain was 335.7kmh (was probably even a bit higher than that as cars still accelerate for a small amount of time after the speed trap). bahrain speed trap
China has a longer straight (1205m for bahrain, 1397m for china) and a high speed approach which should yield at least additional 10 clicks imo, probably more.

Vasconia

Rosberg is usually very,very fast at this circuit.

So I expect this:

1. Rosberg.
2. Hamilton
3. Bottas
4. Vettel
5. Hulkenberg
6. Button
7. Magnussen
8. Alonso
9. Massa
10. Raikkonen

A little bit of rain would be perfect too.

basti313

Juzh wrote:
basti313 wrote:

I'm saying of course with DRS open. Top race speed in bahrain was 335.7kmh (was probably even a bit higher than that as cars still accelerate for a small amount of time after the speed trap). bahrain speed trap
China has a longer straight (1205m for bahrain, 1397m for china) and a high speed approach which should yield at least additional 10 clicks imo, probably more.
Well, I would say you need more downforce in China than in Bahrain to be fast. Redbull was even cutting pieces out of their rear wing in Bahrain...I think you can not do this in China without loosing too much time in the high speed corners, especially the last corner.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Phillyred

Mercedes 1/2 for the race, but the best of the rest battle will probably come down between Williams and FI considering they will have the power/speed on the straights
and with having DRS this will obviously only help. Mclaren is a wildcard and could slot in the top 5 and will probably cause some trouble for Red Bull and Ferrari. I would actually like to see Vettel have a "trouble free" weekend and see his true pace in comparison to Ric's.

Multi21

Vasconia wrote:Rosberg is usually very,very fast at this circuit.

So I expect this:

1. Rosberg.
2. Hamilton
3. Bottas
4. Vettel
5. Hulkenberg
6. Button
7. Magnussen
8. Alonso
9. Massa
10. Raikkonen

A little bit of rain would be perfect too.
Hamilton has won there twice as well though, as well podiums in 2010, 2012 and 2013.

TheGkbrk

It will certainly be close between Hamilton and Rosberg. Hopefully we can see some in-race battles for the lead like the one in Bahrain. Otherwise races turn out to be boring.

lebesset

dans79 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:Double Mercedes retirement, with a Ferrari win.
Lol
didn't know monte had a superlicence
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

PlatinumZealot

TheGkbrk wrote:It will certainly be close between Hamilton and Rosberg. Hopefully we can see some in-race battles for the lead like the one in Bahrain. Otherwise races turn out to be boring.

Rosberg has tyre issues. His set up burns tyres quicker under braking. I expect him to struggle massively in tyre life with these engines!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Shrieker

This is one of Hamilton's better circuits. I can't really see Rosberg beating him here, though factors like mech. problems, debris, backmarkers or a safety car can always throw a spanner in the works as was the case in Bahrain and Melbourne. If Hamilton pulls it, it'll be the third straight time he's beaten his teammate, and Nico will psychologically be on the back foot thinking what he has to do to beat Hamilton. Not to mention it'd be the first time ever Hamilton's won three on the trot which would add insult to injury.

All this makes it a very important weekend for Nico. DRS zone is long here, so maybe he can mess up with and prevent Lewis from having a straightforward race even if Nico lacks pace a bit. Same goes for Lewis if he lacks pace instead. This race can turn out to be very interesting. Rosberg will still retain the lead even if he finishes 2nd to Lewis tho.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

SamH123

Godius wrote:
thomin wrote:
ringo wrote: Yes but don't forget that the Williams is a front limited car and that kind of suits the characteristics of the Shanghai circuit that demands more from the front tyres than the rears.
Interesting, how do you know already the Williams is front limited?
What do you reckon for the all the other cars