2014 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: 2014 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

Godius wrote:Yes but don't forget that the Williams is a front limited car
Really? Why do you figure that?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote:
Godius wrote:Yes but don't forget that the Williams is a front limited car
Really? Why do you figure that?
I think Claire Williams mentioned it during an interview.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

lebesset

the williams car appears to be a long way behind the mercedes due to lack of rear grip and traction .....massa made some comment after OZ where the wet exacerbated it
see stephens article of 29march
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Godius

I can't find the exact videos and articles back, but there was a lot of news coming from both Claire and her drivers stating that the rear end of the car lacks grip and that the car suffers from relatively high rear tire degradation, just like Mercedes had in the past years.

raymondu999

If the grip and tyre life are limited by the rear, that's rear limited, not front limited.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Godius

raymondu999 wrote:If the grip and tyre life are limited by the rear, that's rear limited, not front limited.
I was talking to thomin about the Shanghai circuit in relationship to the Williams car. My sentence construction is probably a bit off because of the translation from Dutch to English. What I'm trying to say is that such a car like the FW36 suits the characteristics of the Shanghai circuit that demands more from the front tyres than the rears (front-limited circuit).

zioture

Video Pirelli of 2014 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

FrukostScones

rain on Saturday will keep RB in the game
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

gray41

Lewis Hamilton
It's been good to have a bit of a break after such a long stint away but I'm already looking forward to getting back in the car. The last race in Bahrain was fantastic: not just for us as a team but for the sport and I'm sure it won't be the last time we see a great show this year. I'm in a really good place at the moment and walking around the garage too, you can see the positive energy within the team right now. Everyone is focused on getting the maximum from these early races and continuing to build beyond the strong start we've made to the season. I've had some ups and downs in China. On one side I've only finished outside of the podium places twice at this circuit. On the other, in my first season in Formula One I threw away a championship lead here by going into the gravel coming into the pits. Generally, though, I'm getting stronger every time I come to this track and it suits my driving style quite well. The aim, as always, is to win and if I could make it three in a row this weekend that would be incredible.
From Lewis' Facebook page, crazy to think he's never done 3 in a row in F1.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Juzh

gray41 wrote: From Lewis' Facebook page, crazy to think he's never done 3 in a row in F1.
Not really.

gray41

Considering the car he had in 2007, 2008 and 2012 I think it is.

Maybe without failures/shunts in 2012 he might have done it at the last three GPs end of the season.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

turbof1

In 2012 he had same bad luck that didn't allowed him to have his first 3 in a row - He absolutely dominated Abu Dhabi before his car broke down, won Austin and then get bowled out in a winning position at Brazil by a slippery Hulkenberg.

In 2008 he actually had his 3 in a row for a moment: the british, german and belgian gp. We all know what happened next... .

Just looking throughout his career, it's mostly either bad luck or just not being in position to win a particular race for a 3 in a row. I think he ruined it perhaps for himself on one or two occasions.

Let's see if he can get it right this time. He never had a more dominant car and the reliability is there. The only ones that can defeat Hamilton this race weekend are Rosberg, his car or himself.
#AeroFrodo

Anon123

I think he's in the right mood to win again this weekend, I just have a horrible feeling that he'll DNF from a comfortable lead, seen it a few times as a Hamilton fan. Should be another cruise for Merc though especially with the back straight, the Renaults will be swamped there.

ChrisM40

IIRC the last McLaren driver to win 3 in a row was Senna in the 91 season. Its not been a McLaren thing traditionally, they either havent been dominant enough, or have been unreliable. Lewis has a chance now in the Merc though.