2014 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MountainBiker

Re: 2014 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona

Yes the early switch to next years car won't help as much this year with there being no changes to the regs, the teams will know which updates / developments will carry over into next year and will concentrate on these towards the back end of the season.

prince

For next year, the only possible design regulation change, might just be related to the nose. There has been a talk of bringing aesthetics into the look of the next year's cars. If that happens, then some of the front design philosophy changes and is worth starting with a new design. Otherwise, there is no reason to drop the current development and look for next year as the there are no major regulation changes for next year, unless someone realizes that they have a bad design base for this year. A lot of teams have been banking on the upgrades they are planning for this race, despite that if no one comes close to Merc, its worth putting money for 2015.

majki2111

So by reading few posts here I remembered that Nico Hulkenberg said during Malaysia F14T is accually very good at corners. I certainly wouldn't discount that car in terms of downforce.

f1316

I had every intention of parlaying my (tiny) grand national winnings into a bet on alonso for podium in China but completely forgot. Kicking myself now, of course because the odds were decent.

Nevertheless I think I'm going to go each way on alonso for win in Spain. I think it's still likely to be merc and rb may be there abouts depending on upgrades but I also think Barcelona is good for Ferrari relative to merc and I have been encouraged by the success of Ferrari's updates so far.

Worth a punt, I reckon.

foxmulder_ms

I cannot imagine anyone but a merc winning the race. I don't think that much of pace difference can be closed even when the circuit favors RB or Ferrari.

My bet for top three is HAM, ROS, VET. Vettel will be fighting his teammate and Alonso. I expect a better race from Raikonnen, too.

khaliweed

Well, last year, Alonso was very fast at this track. What were the characteristics of that Car? I thought RB9 had increadible downforce but could not hold the Ferrari!

mikeerfol

khaliweed wrote:Well, last year, Alonso was very fast at this track. What were the characteristics of that Car? I thought RB9 had increadible downforce but could not hold the Ferrari!
Remember though, Red Bull had lots of problems with their tyres and Spain was probably the worst circuit for tyres. Correct me if I'm wrong but Hulkenberg last year used all of his sets in the race!

prince

khaliweed wrote:Well, last year, Alonso was very fast at this track. What were the characteristics of that Car? I thought RB9 had increadible downforce but could not hold the Ferrari!
In the beginning of last year, RB9 wasn't the fastest car. Lotus, Ferrari and Merc were all very competitive. RB9 won in Malaysia last year, when Fernando collided with Vettel on the first lap then retired and Merc started having fuel consumption problem. Then China and Barcelona went to Ferrari. RB9 only managed to dominate after the return of 2012 tyres.

oT v1

Alonso went for more tyre stops straight away and destroyed them, I dont think it would have so easy if everyone else wasnt so fixed on conserving instead of using them up.
The Power of Dreams

iotar__

prince wrote:
In the beginning of last year, RB9 wasn't the fastest car. Lotus, Ferrari and Merc were all very competitive. RB9 won in Malaysia last year, when Fernando collided with Vettel on the first lap then retired and Merc started having fuel consumption problem. Then China and Barcelona went to Ferrari. RB9 only managed to dominate after the return of 2012 tyres.
That's not how I remember it.
- Australia was an odd race tyre wise (SS) - but podium and pole means they were fast from the beginning, Mercedes didn't have "fuel problems" in Malaysia - they exchanged/overestimated fuel-performance trade-off, RB had the best car
- They won Bahrain - again without Alonso and with Lotus situation - but still very fast, won Canada, lost Monaco because you can't overtake and Merc had freaky (tyres) qualy performance, they should have been second at least in Silverstone
- Change of tyres didn't automatically bring back Red Bull's domination - in Germany (modified tyres?) they were "lucky" with safety car and Lotus's team orders. Hamilton won in Hungary (new tyres?) and Vettel couldn't get pasty Raikkonen. There's no doubt new tyres helped them and they started dominating after updates from Spa onwards.

MercedesAMGSpy

Don't forget the Spanish GP start/finish straight is long and Merc will have some updates as well. I think they will be hard to beat again.

SamH123

If quali is wet, we will see a battle imo
RB lost too much time on the straights in Malaysia and China but in Australia, Ricciardo almost took pole.

mnmracer

SamH123 wrote:If quali is wet, we will see a battle imo
RB lost too much time on the straights in Malaysia and China but in Australia, Ricciardo almost took pole.
I think you have Australia and Malaysia mixed up. Ricciardo was 0.3 off pole in Australia; Vettel almost took pole in Malaysia (0.055 seconds).

iotar__

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns27869.html Red Bull is trying to pull mini chassis stunt for Vettel. Just a regular change, but they need to investigate if everything is OK (if). This is funny and enraging at the same time, seeing that 2010 chassis myth still perpetuates. Red Bull: how to sell a bridge chapter 12. I thought it was sensitivity to corner entry and not feeling well with new cars in 2014. Words of wisdom from H. Marko, if a chassis flaw is not the problem (it's not):
""This year is so complex that even the engineers don't understand everything," he said. "That makes it even harder for Seb to tune the car to his needs." #-o

monsi

I like the way that Seb is said to need a stable rear. Better lay off the twerking lessons then.