2014 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mikeerfol

Re: 2014 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona

Is it true that Alonso was using more power from the MGU-K than allowed in qualifying?

MercedesAMGSpy

mikeerfol wrote:Is it true that Alonso was using more power from the MGU-K than allowed in qualifying?
Ted Kravitz claimed that during his notebook and asked Ferrari to comment, but he was waiting for a response.

djos

2014 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona

I must admit that that the first 90% of this race bored me to death but at least the ending was entertaining.

That said, I've enjoyed most of the year so far.
"In downforce we trust"

monsi
monsi

I must say that I rather enjoy the team mate battles this year, and I don't mind the dominance of one team. I remain a little surprised at the lack of detailed technical car comment on this forum this year, there seemed to me to be a bit more last year, while I would have expected more to comment on and analyse this year because of the large changes.

siskue2005

Pierce89 wrote: So, when have Ferrari ever claimed to have the policy of driver in front gets first stop? Do you think Kim i went into this blind? As a Ferrari fan first and foremost, I've always gotten a kick out fans of driver X complaining that Ferrari favors driver Y. Ferrari has always favored a driver and probably always will.
that was the norm last year with Massa atleast
The decision to put Alonso on a 3-stop strategy which ultimately allowed him to finish ahead of his teammate,
who had the advantage for much of the weekend, was more about the presence of top brass management from Santander.
~ Chris Balfe
http://www.pitpass.com/51578/Mattiacci- ... mmediately

AnthonyG

Small question: why don't we have a thread on this forum about the 2 day test? Why aren't there any live feeds with updates from the track on the usual websites? (forgive me if it's a silly one)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Richard
Richard

AnthonyG wrote:Small question: why don't we have a thread on this forum about the 2 day test? Why aren't there any live feeds with updates from the track on the usual websites? (forgive me if it's a silly one)
Feel free to start one.

Godius

The only thing I know is that it was raining in Barcelona this morning. There wasn't that much track action going on.

basti313
basti313

Mandrake wrote:I might be blind for the good racing, so please enlighten me. Vettel from P15 to P4 ---> 2nd fastest car was always gonna land somewhere there given no driver or strategic errors.
Well...2012...when Alonso did something like this with bad Q and the second fastest car in the race he was the god of F1 Racing...
Honor to whom honor is due.
Phil wrote: If the main gripe is Mercedes dominance - then I don't see how this is better or worse compared to RedBulls dominance - which they effectively had at the end of last season once the tyre reverted back to older spec. With the exception that the team-battles are way more interesting this year.
Well, you have to divide that:
Now Mercedes is just a second per lap ahead, driving their own race. This was never the case for Redbull.

Take Mercedes away and you have now the end of last season: RedBull on the edge of domination. They dominate in aero and a bit more power from the engine and they will also be ahead of Ferrari in races like China.

Without the Merc in another league everyone would still be whining about Redbull dominance. So now is even worse: One contender has taken himself out of the competition... :lol:
Phil wrote: It's still a long season and I think it can still change. Perhaps not to the degree some are hoping, but even if RedBull can close the gap, we'd have a lot more excitment on our hands. Then there's 2015 coming up, with Honda... and I'm sure Renault and the rest will have learned a lot too...
Come on...this season is gone. Hamilton goes for WDC, Rosberg second as Rosberg will not beat Hamilton continuously in Q which is the basis for the superior strategy. The only thing that is still interesting is the battle between Ric and Vet. And if Kimi can beat Alo with his Nr.2 status.

Next season? Also not interesting: Everyone has to copy the Merc layout first. So they will be slower as no one could reach RB the last years. Honda will not change anything as McLarens problem is not the engine and I do not expect Honda to be competitive from the start.
iotar__ wrote:Rosberg:
"There was a misunderstanding from my side because we were going to go prime second stint: there were two variables. There was one where we go prime second stint if we have graining in the first stint or I go prime second stint to try and beat Lewis, if I feel that pace-wise I can be quicker and have a shot at it. I thought they were going prime because they thought I had graining but I didn’t have graining, so that’s why I was confused but then I understood: it was to offset my strategy so that I would have a chance to fight Lewis at the end, so it was fine, and just what I wanted"
? Apart from the fact that Rosberg is happy with strategies and always chooses them even if he doesn't what kind of choice is that between primes and primes (graining or not)? Is it about pitstop timing or should there be option instead? [Against planned strategy?]
Rosberg is a nice guy...too nice. He will never say anything against the team.
No matter what you say about strategy, leaving him out long at the first stop was something you would never do if you want to overtake a contender. Alex Wurz was completely astonished when they left Rosberg out...and I think he really knows what to do.
Don`t russel the hamster!

F1NAC

Not looking good for Ferrari, is it another wasted testing? Tough luck

Juzh

Vettel overtakes (important ones):

video

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Pierce89 wrote: So, when have Ferrari ever claimed to have the policy of driver in front gets first stop? Do you think Kim i went into this blind? As a Ferrari fan first and foremost, I've always gotten a kick out fans of driver X complaining that Ferrari favors driver Y. Ferrari has always favored a driver and probably always will.
??

That is what I am saying!

You will never see a team mate battle there which is a shame from my point of view. Sad thing is, this makes me even think that drivers at Ferrari are never on quite the equal hardware. If there is a better engine (no two engines are equal), it will go to driver Y; if there is an update for single car, it will always go to driver Y; if the pit calls are critical, driver Y will be favored. Then, people will think driver Y is awesome.. meh.....

George-Jung
George-Jung

Juzh wrote:Vettel overtakes (important ones):

video
The "overtake" on Alonso was not really an overtake like all others..
He just drove by when Alonso came out of the pit.

All others were nicely done though!

thomin

George-Jung wrote:
Juzh wrote:Vettel overtakes (important ones):

video
The "overtake" on Alonso was not really an overtake like all others..
He just drove by when Alonso came out of the pit.

All others were nicely done though!
Yes, he had to overtake on the break as he couldn't get by on speed. Since that's exactly where he struggled in the previous races, it seems as if the new chassis helped.

Harsha
Harsha

thomin wrote: Yes, he had to overtake on the break as he couldn't get by on speed. Since that's exactly where he struggled in the previous races, it seems as if the new chassis helped.
Yeah, He seem to find his Confidence on breaking but is that true that he had anti roll failure before race when he was going to grid ??