2014 Monaco Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
The_Truth

Re: 2014 Monaco Grand Prix

Hi guys, I was wondering if you guys can help me to find some data from the qualifying on Monaco.

What I need is the overall best sector times from the qualifying. Lewis said he was tow tenths faster on the first sector during his final lap before the yellow flags, but the problem is that I cant find any information about it on the F1 website.

Does any one know where I can get it? Thanks.

Juzh

The_Truth wrote:Hi guys, I was wondering if you guys can help me to find some data from the qualifying on Monaco.

What I need is the overall best sector times from the qualifying. Lewis said he was tow tenths faster on the first sector during his final lap before the yellow flags, but the problem is that I cant find any information about it on the F1 website.

Does any one know where I can get it? Thanks.
He wasn't. He was up on his best S1 time, but not rosbergs.

http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f ... es_V01.pdf

otbsti

^ This is true, but if he was up on his personal best by 2/10ths just in sector 1, as long as he equalled his other sectors, he would have had pole as he was fastest of all in S2 during Q3. http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... s=7346&p=3

(this shows a hypothetical best lap if all driver's personal best sector times are used...)
"Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that."
-Ayrton Senna

Mercedes AMG Petronas
Lewis Hamilton #44

djos

Cam wrote:
djos wrote:I'll stick with the honest and upfront guys like Fernando...
Well, Alonso has done some pretty dishonest stuff. Did you overlook that or simply not know? FYI, he escaped sanction by turning dibber dobber and selling everyone out.
"The e-mails show unequivocally that both Alonso and de la Rosa received confidential Ferrari information," FIA said in a 15-page explanation of the World Motor Sport Council's decision to fine McLaren a record US$100 million and expelled it from this year's constructors' championship.

"Both drivers knew that this information was confidential Ferrari information," it said.
Funny how words such as 'great' and 'best' are used to describe a sports person sometimes.
Tbh I'd forgotten about that episode.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

2014 Monaco Grand Prix

Juzh wrote:
djos wrote:
Traction wrote: ..but don't forget the lying.. :lol:
I'll stick with the honest and upfront guys like Fernando, Daniel and formerly Mark .... Heck even Kimi!
Am I reading this right? Mark?? :lol: :lol: :lol: Alonso :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Show me where Mark has been less than honest and upfront with folks?

Ps I'd forgotten about Alonso's spy-gate etc so ignore him.
"In downforce we trust"

SGeorge

Rosberg, whether intentional or not, has shown up yet again a major weak point in Hamilton's game. There is an almost "pre-set" reaction that the team is against him - Not the qualy incident (be that on purpose or not) but with Hamilton almost deperate pleas via his radio messages - he is saying he doesnt think the team back him, and openly questioning strategists on game plan. If he doesnt feel comfortable with the team, and they end up having a titanic battle all year, I can see there being internal fireworks that Rosberg will benefit from.

No question Hamilton is a gifted driver, one that is the fastest on his day - but this petulance is not making him endearing, and maybe his downfall in the long run!

Fully expect a Hamilton victory next time out in Canada, but he cannot allow his head to be clouded with anger and suspicion as it has done before. He seems to be a driver that needs harmonious atmosphere but seems unwilling to work to create it.

Anon123

SGeorge wrote:Rosberg, whether intentional or not, has shown up yet again a major weak point in Hamilton's game. There is an almost "pre-set" reaction that the team is against him - Not the qualy incident (be that on purpose or not) but with Hamilton almost deperate pleas via his radio messages - he is saying he doesnt think the team back him, and openly questioning strategists on game plan. If he doesnt feel comfortable with the team, and they end up having a titanic battle all year, I can see there being internal fireworks that Rosberg will benefit from.

No question Hamilton is a gifted driver, one that is the fastest on his day - but this petulance is not making him endearing, and maybe his downfall in the long run!

Fully expect a Hamilton victory next time out in Canada, but he cannot allow his head to be clouded with anger and suspicion as it has done before. He seems to be a driver that needs harmonious atmosphere but seems unwilling to work to create it.
Monaco often brings out the worst in Hamilton probably because it's such a frustrating track, I expect things to get better from now on.

SGeorge

Anon123 wrote:
SGeorge wrote:Rosberg, whether intentional or not, has shown up yet again a major weak point in Hamilton's game. There is an almost "pre-set" reaction that the team is against him - Not the qualy incident (be that on purpose or not) but with Hamilton almost deperate pleas via his radio messages - he is saying he doesnt think the team back him, and openly questioning strategists on game plan. If he doesnt feel comfortable with the team, and they end up having a titanic battle all year, I can see there being internal fireworks that Rosberg will benefit from.

Monaco often brings out the worst in Hamilton probably because it's such a frustrating track, I expect things to get better from now on.
In general demenour though, he has often shown himself to be culpable to outbursts - this isnt new. Button came out today and said if they had a disagreement, he would often destroy him the next race. WIll no doubt be back to normal next race, but I think he has shown some easily exploitable weakness. Ham is the fastest driver, he has an amazing talent to drive fast - he is realistically, the fastest. But for all that ability there is an inherant frailty to his mental state during a race, we see it quite often in questioning team calls on radio - this comes across as Trust as much as anything. Rosberg may be able to exploit this in future races to his advantage. Button was, over 3 seasons, the higher performer in points scoring. Hamilton maybe fast but he really needs to sort his head to deliver over the course of what will be a fraught season.

SparkyAMG

SGeorge wrote:
Anon123 wrote:

In general demenour though, he has often shown himself to be culpable to outbursts - this isnt new. Button came out today and said if they had a disagreement, he would often destroy him the next race. WIll no doubt be back to normal next race, but I think he has shown some easily exploitable weakness. Ham is the fastest driver, he has an amazing talent to drive fast - he is realistically, the fastest. But for all that ability there is an inherant frailty to his mental state during a race, we see it quite often in questioning team calls on radio - this comes across as Trust as much as anything. Rosberg may be able to exploit this in future races to his advantage. Button was, over 3 seasons, the higher performer in points scoring. Hamilton maybe fast but he really needs to sort his head to deliver over the course of what will be a fraught season.
Comparing points scored over 3 seasons is one of the most ridiculous things as the relative performance of the cars change each season and indeed throughout each season.

Every time Jenson brings up that statistic I cringe.

Another way of looking at it:

Head to Head (LH v JB) - 12 v 7
Retirements (LH vs JB) - 3 v 2
Points (LH vs JB) - 240 v 214

Summary; Lewis finished ahead on 5 more occasions, despite retiring one more time.

Head to Head (LH v JB) - 9 v 10
Retirements (LH vs JB) - 3 v 2
Points (LH vs JB) - 227 v 270

Summary; Jenson edged Hamilton in the head to head, despite this season being Hamilton's worst according to many.

Head to Head (LH v JB) - 11 v 9
Retirements (LH vs JB) - 5 v 2
Points (LH vs JB) - 190 v 188

Summary; Lewis finished ahead of Jenson 11 times to 9, despite retiring 5 times to Button's 2.

Overall

Head to Head (LH v JB) - 32 v 26
Retirements (LH vs JB) - 11 v 6
Points (LH vs JB) - 657 v 672

My comments are biased towards Hamilton to show how easily it is that statistics can be manipulated. The truth about who performed better over 3 years is probably somewhere in the middle of what their head to head stats say and what their overall points say.

In my opinion Hamilton edged it though.

Juzh

djos wrote: Show me where Mark has been less than honest and upfront with folks?
How about hypocritical? Whining in malaysia 2013 about multi21 and then keeping a silly long face for the entire season until his retirement, yet at the same time conveniently forgetting silverstone 2011.
And let's not forget fw drama the year before. Webber saying he felt new fw didn't bring any benefits and only wanted it so seb, who openly said he prefers it, couldn't use it. Then making himself a martyr to the press so everyone knew about it.

SGeorge

SparkyAMG - you say it there, stats can be manipulated. Fact is, over 3 seasons in the same car, Button was better at getting points. There is no argument for that, it is a fact.

I am not saying Button is better, but Hamilton has shown he is fearsomly fast but at times emotionally fragile. He has been exemplary in the 4 races prior to Monaco, but he came out with some petulent comments indicating favouratism and openly questioning his team.

Ham comes with a big billing, as the fastest driver. And justifiably so. But he (for me) hasnt lived up to that billing yet over a year (2007 /8 aside).

For the record, I am a Hamilton fan (as much as it seems not).

George-Jung

SGeorge wrote:SparkyAMG - you say it there, stats can be manipulated. Fact is, over 3 seasons in the same car, Button was better at getting points. There is no argument for that, it is a fact.
Due to 5 less retirements Button scored a total of 15 points more :roll:
At least one of the retirements of Hamilton was from the leading spot at Abu Dhabi, which costed Hamilton 25points.

SGeorge

George-Jung wrote:
SGeorge wrote:SparkyAMG - you say it there, stats can be manipulated. Fact is, over 3 seasons in the same car, Button was better at getting points. There is no argument for that, it is a fact.
Due to 5 less retirements Button scored a total of 15 points more :roll:
At least one of the retirements of Hamilton was from the leading spot at Abu Dhabi, which costed Hamilton 25points.
I get the retirement piece, and how it obviously has affected the results - but Hamilton was off form in 2011 due to personal things, he wasnt the same driver he usually was - things affect him too much sometimes.

Point is, he is a better driver than his results show - and things like him reacting like this in Monaco seem to show him almost having a metnal weakness. If he blocked things out, he would perform better.

I hope he wins the Championship, but he needs to cool his head.

And I wish he would stop the American twang.

thomin

SparkyAMG wrote:
My comments are biased towards Hamilton to show how easily it is that statistics can be manipulated. The truth about who performed better over 3 years is probably somewhere in the middle of what their head to head stats say and what their overall points say.

In my opinion Hamilton edged it though.
I agree, but I still find it somewhat troublesome. Lewis is without a doubt one of the most naturally gifted drivers on the grid, he should have annihilated Button who may be consistent, but who is also far from being exceptional.

What I would say Hamilton should do is to stay away from the media for a while and to cool down a bit. He doesn't need to be Rosberg's friend, he doesn't have to like Rosberg, in fact he may very well despise him, but he should respect Rosberg. Otherwise, all he'll achieve is to get himself down every time Rosberg finishes ahead of him. If you're beaten by someone you don't respect, you either perceive yourself as even worse, or you start ruminating about the terrible circumstances that led to this. Neither is healthy or productive.

On the other hand, when Rosberg was confronted with Lewis' claim that he's less hungry at the press conference, he dismissed the question, saying that he doesn't read the press, that he distrusts the press and that they are quick to alter the meaning of what was being said, so he wouldn't take that seriously unless Lewis' told him so himself and he certainly won't comment on it. Now that's a mature way to handle such things...and also very true. When I read some of the articles that contained quotes or interviews with Lewis, the headlines were usually very twisted versions of what he actually said and don't encapsulate at all Lewis' sentiment, like for instance the "I need to dominate Rosberg" headline, etc. The media of course preys on this, they want to have a juicy story and I'm afraid that Lewis might get sucked into this dynamic which can only harm himself.

Harsha

The Only man who can beat Lewis Hamilton is Lewis Hamilton