2014 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2014 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal

Hamilton seems to be a bit softer on the tyre than Nico this year so I expect a little struggle from Nico with the heavy breaking nature of the track compounding it. Hamilton however will suffer as well due to him being the less fuel thirsty of the two Mercedes drivers. He will have a heavier car near the later stages of the race because of it, and this time he WON'T be allowed to burn off that extra fuel as the "power boost" fuel mode is banned via team orders.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

johnsonwax

Well, Canada has a high standard to meet. 2011 was possibly the finest drive I've ever seen in F1, in the most enjoyable race I've ever seen in F1. How often do you see a driver move from last to first let alone doing it entirely in the 2nd half of the race? Let's hope this year is comparable.

raymondu999

n smikle wrote:Hamilton however will suffer as well due to him being the less fuel thirsty of the two Mercedes drivers. He will have a heavier car near the later stages of the race because of it, and this time he WON'T be allowed to burn off that extra fuel as the "power boost" fuel mode is banned via team orders.
Or he could do the smart thing and carry less fuel thanks to his "less fuel thirst"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

George-Jung

n smikle wrote:he WON'T be allowed to burn off that extra fuel as the "power boost" fuel mode is banned via team orders.
Could someone explain this to me, because I don't understand..
Why are Hamilton and Rosberg not allowed to change engine settings during the race, and what can the team do to prevent it from happening?

Thanks in advance!

tim|away

George-Jung wrote:
n smikle wrote:he WON'T be allowed to burn off that extra fuel as the "power boost" fuel mode is banned via team orders.
Why are Hamilton and Rosberg not allowed to change engine settings during the race, and what can the team do to prevent it from happening?

Thanks in advance!
My understanding is that both drivers have been instructed to bring the car home and not to use up more of the engine's life than is necessary (i.e. avoid using power boost).

I don't think the team can (or will) do anything to physically stop drivers from changing engine maps. I believe Toto Wolff sat down with both of them and told them quite clearly that they are not supposed to change engine maps without approval, as there would otherwise be consequences. What those consequences are, one can only speculate.

alexx_88

Given that modifying the car's settings from the pits is prohibited, I think that the only thing they can do is deal with it after the race. Or if they're feeling extra confident in their pace, they could map the engine settings on the steering wheel differently (max power setting to actually be a safe setting chosen before the race).

George-Jung

ah ok, so it would be more like a gentlemen agreement between the drivers and team?

siskue2005

George-Jung wrote:

Thanks in advance!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114138
Mercedes Formula 1 team-mates Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton's relationship was at breaking point even before the Monaco Grand Prix, due to a bust-up in Spain a fortnight ago.

Although the breakdown in the team-mates' relations was made public in the wake of Rosberg's controversial pole position in Monte Carlo, the pair had already fallen out after the race at Barcelona.

That was when it emerged that, in a bid to keep his lead, Hamilton went against team protocol and turned up his engine settings to maximum performance in the closing stages.

His actions left Rosberg feeling that he had been robbed of a chance of victory through unfair means - which forced an apology from Hamilton.

It was against that backdrop that tensions surfaced in Monaco, which is why team boss Toto Wolff is not surprised that Hamilton felt so angry after the qualifying controversy.

"It was the other way around on the Sunday in Barcelona," explained Wolff about his drivers' suspicions of each other.

"Nico had felt aggrieved by what had happened in the race and I guess this is really normal.

"Everybody has their own absolute reality, and absolute belief. And I guess it is like arguing with somebody. You think you are right and the other person thinks he is right. It is never black and white. There is sometimes grey."

DRIVERS TESTING LIMITS

Hamilton revealed after the Monaco GP that Rosberg had used a similar aggressive engine setting in his bid to snatch victory in Bahrain earlier this year.
Toto Wolff

Wolff said that their actions have now forced a clampdown on the drivers, with neither now allowed to play around with the mappings settings on their own.

"It's never going to happen again," declared Wolff.

"I think they are probably exploring how far you can step up above the line and what the consequences are. But isn't that normal?

"You have a chance of winning the championship and as long as it is not detrimental to the team spirit, as long as it is not underhand, we will handle the situation in the way we did before.

"The moment it goes in the direction where we believe it is not the spirit of Mercedes Benz we will act accordingly."

Waywardism

I'd love to see what Wolff would do if they did this again. He strikes me as the kind of guy that wouldn't stand for any nonsense.

Anyway, really looking forward to this race, Canada is almost always a great race to watch. I think that Hamilton will walk it and Vettel will just get the better of Ricciardo here.

tim|away

iotar__

[From above] Wolff "I think they are probably exploring how far you can step up above the line and what the consequences are. But isn't that normal?" Huh, it's not normal that you allowed it, is it? Twice. Makes you wonder how much faster was Rosberg than "unbeatable", 10/10 Hamilton in Barcelona. Looking at Merc you really need to start praying for Red Bull catching them however painful it may be ;-). I want them to disrupt perfectly planned strategies and force drivers to make mistakes. It's the only chance for something interesting on track, drivers soap opera might be entertaining at times but not in racing terms with the advantage they have now.

From here: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/06/h ... rand-prix/ 2012 but should apply in essence if not numbers:
Full throttle – 67% of the lap (quite high). 15 seconds unbroken full throttle on main straight.
Time spent braking: 17% of lap (high). 7 braking zones. Brake wear- Very High.
Loss time for a Pit stop = 11.2 seconds (very fast)
Total time needed for pit stop: 15.2 seconds.
Fuel consumption – 2.0kg per lap (average/high)
Fuel effect (cost in lap time per 10kg of fuel carried): 0.28 seconds (low)
I may be wrong but if Hamilton has small fuel saving advantage and even though Canada is high fuel track with long straights it should be easier to manage it for NR, these are stages of fuel saving not full race. How much more does he need to have or to save if they start equal? From cryptic race graphics I remember 48-50 type of differences.
Two stops or maybe one?

turbof1

The issue is that the team can't change the settings externally. They don't allow it, but can't do anything about it if the drover chooses to ignore the request.

Unless of course next race on the team removes the option from the steering wheel.
#AeroFrodo

WaikeCU

turbof1 wrote:The issue is that the team can't change the settings externally. They don't allow it, but can't do anything about it if the drover chooses to ignore the request.

Unless of course next race on the team removes the option from the steering wheel.
Then they'll start playing with ERS settings.

inb4 that gets removed from the steering wheel.

turbof1

I don't exactly know the details how it gets operated, but either changes to hardware on the wheel or software should block drivers from using it.

Of course that also means they can't use during qualy, which leaves them more vulnerable to other teams. No solution will be easy and without disadvantages.
#AeroFrodo

Waywardism

I would just tell them that the test driver will take their place at the following GP if they don't respect the team's authoritah.