2014 British GP - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
henra

Re: 2014 British GP - Silverstone

De Jokke wrote:Do you guys think Toto will go as far as threatening mechanics to lose their job if they don't "work slower/worse" on Lewis' side of the garage?? Does he has that authority? I suppose so?
Some guys on here really watched too many bad movies.
Seriously, guys....

He might have personal preferences (even that doesn't have to be the case) but asking People to work against the Team's success ????
:wtf:

Edit: Such action would definitely be a legitimate cause for immediate Termination of contract.

iotar__

Yes and by accidents they told that to Rosberg's mechanics in Canada. It's interesting that neither Massa nor Smedley are complaining like in Canada - they know where the wind is blowing. I missed it during the race - Alonso was almost length of the car in front at the start :shock:, WTH? I thought it was 30 cm or sth.

They signed special deal with Renault, they're not that good at Silverstone and Horner finally shut up about engines, now he's concerned about racing http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport ... MP=OTC-RSS: "Current rules tarnish 'great racing'" Yes, I remember Horner's outrage when one of the best overtakes of recent seasons 10 cm pushed off track ended up with "clear penalty" (I won't shut up about it). Oh no - Vettel was in front so it was OK. He only talks about it because his driver broke rules dozen of times and nothing happened. Unlike other drivers who after warnings have to stay on track for fear of getting penalties. Now hypocrites are interested in rules and enjoy low-skill off track racing. F1 is really Hulk Hogan wrestling.

SectorOne

mikeerfol wrote:Indeed, I read somewhere as well that he had an issue with a downshift at the formation lap.
This maybe? It contains both statements i believe.

http://mag.gpweek.com/#folio=8
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

iotar__

I can't help myself, driver steward giving penalties it Hungary 2013 loves Alonso-Vettel " brilliant piece of racing by both", brilliant off-track racing that is was. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/2821400 McNish "It was probably the bravest move I have seen since Mark Webber passed Alonso at Eau Rouge in the 2011 Belgian Grand Prix." Look how he loves high speed overtakes and it only proves he closed his eyes giving penalties there, brilliant rules are rules mentality and hypocrisy.

basti313

iotar__ wrote:I can't help myself, driver steward giving penalties it Hungary 2013 loves Alonso-Vettel " brilliant piece of racing by both", brilliant off-track racing that is was. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/2821400 McNish "It was probably the bravest move I have seen since Mark Webber passed Alonso at Eau Rouge in the 2011 Belgian Grand Prix." Look how he loves high speed overtakes and it only proves he closed his eyes giving penalties there, brilliant rules are rules mentality and hypocrisy.
I think you missed, that track limits were only crucial at turn 8. For the rest of the track it was more or less ok to leave it as one would not gain an advantage there.
Don`t russel the hamster!

beelsebob

basti313 wrote:
iotar__ wrote:I can't help myself, driver steward giving penalties it Hungary 2013 loves Alonso-Vettel " brilliant piece of racing by both", brilliant off-track racing that is was. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/2821400 McNish "It was probably the bravest move I have seen since Mark Webber passed Alonso at Eau Rouge in the 2011 Belgian Grand Prix." Look how he loves high speed overtakes and it only proves he closed his eyes giving penalties there, brilliant rules are rules mentality and hypocrisy.
I think you missed, that track limits were only crucial at turn 8. For the rest of the track it was more or less ok to leave it as one would not gain an advantage there.
Actually, it was turns 1 and 9 (Abbey and Copse) that they were actively monitoring. On the lap he passed Vettel went wide at 18, 1 and 9. 18 and 1 allowed him to get onto Alonso's gearbox out of 4, while 9 allowed him to break later than Alonso into copse, and complete the pass.

mikeerfol

SectorOne wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:Indeed, I read somewhere as well that he had an issue with a downshift at the formation lap.
This maybe? It contains both statements i believe.

http://mag.gpweek.com/#folio=8
http://images.cdn.realviewdigital.com/r ... ty=70&v=v2
Nope, but I can't remember where I saw it..

fets81

The BBC showed it on their post race interviews, Nico stated he felt something unusual at the beginning but it seemed to subside by the actual race start
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White

PlatinumZealot

The way the gearboxes work that particular chain of damage I suspect is triggered when Nico engages neutral then reengages the gears again.
That is why he only had the problem at the restart and after the pit stop. (every time he moves from neutral to drive).
During normal driving out of neutral the set of near critically damaged parts were not being used so Nico did not sense any problems until he set the gearbox into neutral again for the pit stop. That shifting process engaged the damaged parts once more causing maybe something to break or jam therefore completely disabling any shifting.

Nico needs to learn to be more gentle on his gearbox in the future. You only have one gearbox for five races!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Waywardism

n smikle wrote:The way the gearboxes work that particular chain of damage I suspect is triggered when Nico engages neutral then reengages the gears again.
That is why he only had the problem at the restart and after the pit stop. (every time he moves from neutral to drive).
I can't imagine Mercedes bringing Hamilton in for an unnecessary 2nd stop if that were the case.

Phil

n smikle wrote:Nico needs to learn to be more gentle on his gearbox in the future. You only have one gearbox for five races!
I disagree. I think any of the stuff relating to Lewis being too hard on his machinery (causing the DNF like the one in Canada) or Rosberg having to be more gentle on his gearbox in Silverstone to be exaggerated nonsense. F1 is an over-monitored sport. You don't build a racecar to be gentle - let alone the fact that most of the shifting is done electronically and out of the drivers control besides pressing the button. He was just unlucky, just as a lack of knowlege on the consequences from the pitwall and Lewis caused an unlucky DNF for Lewis in Canada. In hindsight, it's always easy to say the driver could have avoided that, but unfortunately none of these drivers have crystal balls to predict the future, so they race in good faith and accoarding to the intel the pitwall provides and monitors.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

mikeerfol

Waywardism wrote:
n smikle wrote:The way the gearboxes work that particular chain of damage I suspect is triggered when Nico engages neutral then reengages the gears again.
I can't imagine Mercedes bringing Hamilton in for an unnecessary 2nd stop if that were the case.
But Hamilton didn't have any problem, did he?

WaikeCU

Phil wrote:
n smikle wrote:Nico needs to learn to be more gentle on his gearbox in the future. You only have one gearbox for five races!
I disagree. I think any of the stuff relating to Lewis being too hard on his machinery (causing the DNF like the one in Canada) or Rosberg having to be more gentle on his gearbox in Silverstone to be exaggerated nonsense. F1 is an over-monitored sport. You don't build a racecar to be gentle - let alone the fact that most of the shifting is done electronically and out of the drivers control besides pressing the button. He was just unlucky, just as a lack of knowlege on the consequences from the pitwall and Lewis caused an unlucky DNF for Lewis in Canada. In hindsight, it's always easy to say the driver could have avoided that, but unfortunately none of these drivers have crystal balls to predict the future, so they race in good faith and accoarding to the intel the pitwall provides and monitors.
Yes, but the reason why it's over-monitored is because of the cost savings. Gearbox, PU's and other parts have been limited more and more over the past decade to an extent where words like 'save' and 'manage' are more mentioned than the word 'push'. It's sad to see the sport heading this way.

iotar__

Whiting: "It would have been better, if Kimi was a little more cautious in cutting back onto the track.
"The drivers should be advised that, in future, they should return to the track at a reasonable speed,"

"Advised" and "little more caution", is this some parody sketch? Like there are no rules about dangerous driving, rejoining a track or causing a collision? They need advice to know and do that? Causing it all is some white gloves beating around the bush to explain your own failure to react but Safety is hammering a barrier for 1 h. Maybe Perez should have been a little more cautious changing line (a little) when driving wheel to wheel? At least it was racing for something. Just a little and a bit of advice from us that perhaps drivers should do that in a reasonable way. In the future, perhaps, maybe, a little, pretty please? Maybe Massa too? No - 5 places, no questions asked, dangerous and unsafe. Refereeing in F1 is a complete joke.

iotar__

basti313 wrote:
It was 9 and 18 in qualifying, how many examples of Vettel going wide there do you need? Plus no - it was only zero tolerance, the rules about going off apply to every situation when you leave the track and gain advantage - like chasing other car that stays on track.
Edit: “During the race, any driver who appears to have gained a clear and lasting advantage by leaving the track at turns 8 or 18, or who repeatedly leaves the track at either of these two corners, will be reported to the stewards.”