2014 German Grand Prix - Hockenheim

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

2014 German Grand Prix - Hockenheim

2012 Pole lap

Pole time: a very wet 1:40.621

Last winner: Fernando Alonso

Fastest Lap Micheal Schumacher: 1:18.725

2014 tires: Soft(prime), Super Soft (Option)

The track only has the one high speed "straight", the parabolic turn 5. The rest of the lap is characterized by tricky braking zones that dare you to late brake as much as possible, two very tricky high speed right handers(turns 1, and 12), two very tricky mid speed corners 10, 11, and 17. Three very tricky acceleration zones turns 3, 4 turn 6, and the exit of turn 8. Finally the very technical sector three which exposes any weakness in mechanical grip.

Downforce levels are somewhat in between Canada, and Austria. You need good top speed for the parabolic straight, but you also need good downforce for the high and medium speed corners and excellent mechanical grip to ride the kerbs as much as possible, particularly after turn 8.

There are three heavy braking zones turns 2, 6, and 8, one medium heavy in turn 13, and this will provide plenty of KERS energy. After that there is a lot of brake modulation involved, particularly after turn 8, and this will put a premium on braking stability and good medium speed downforce.

Despite other's mix feelings about this track, I like it, particularly from a driver's perspective, you always feel like you can find time somewhere.
Saishū kōnā

MercedesAMGSpy

Re: 2014 German Grand Prix

I don't like it to be honest, the first sector is fine, but S2 and S3 are very boring. I prefer the Nurburgring.

Waywardism

I miss the old Hockenheim

iotar__

I really hope Rosberg wins it and his first words in the press conference will be: It's a great feeling to win your home grand prix, especially on merit and speed not inherit it after technical problems.

De Jokke

Yeah like Monaco :lol:
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Racer X

I predict Hulk wins it :lol: xD

No i think here we see Hamilton pull away from Rossberg on his home soil..... :twisted:

i hope [-o<
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

godlameroso

I hope Williams keeps it up, would laugh if both Mercs DNF and Massa wins it from Alonso.
Saishū kōnā

beelsebob

This should be a strong track for Williams. High speed, and low speed, and not much in between.

djos

Waywardism wrote:I miss the old Hockenheim
Same, the blast thru the forest and around the back was amazing, the idiots ruined it! #-o
"In downforce we trust"

mikeerfol

djos wrote:
Waywardism wrote:I miss the old Hockenheim
Same, the blast thru the forest and around the back was amazing, the idiots ruined it! #-o
Indeed..

WaikeCU

Has anyone here been to a race at the old Hockenheim? I wondered if the sound of blasting through the forrest has the same effect like going through a tunnel?

Why have they decided to revise the circuit? Screaming V10-V12's, +300kph and sparks flying off the floor is what I want.

mikeerfol

WaikeCU wrote:Has anyone here been to a race at the old Hockenheim? I wondered if the sound of blasting through the forrest has the same effect like going through a tunnel?

Why have they decided to revise the circuit? Screaming V10-V12's, +300kph and sparks flying off the floor is what I want.
You'll get these sparks from 2015 :P

djos

WaikeCU wrote:Has anyone here been to a race at the old Hockenheim? I wondered if the sound of blasting through the forrest has the same effect like going through a tunnel?

Tilke took his hatchet to Hockenheim a long time ago, possibly over 10 years ago iirc.
"In downforce we trust"

WaikeCU

djos wrote:

Tilke took his hatchet to Hockenheim a long time ago, possibly over 10 years ago iirc.
Because they thought Tilke's view on revising the circuit could be an improvement racing wise and financial wise? No, thanks.

SectorOne

F1 Officials demanded the track to be shortened, and so it was.

Frankly the old circuit was just a bunch of straights with three chicanes. I´m amazed the drivers did not fall asleep there.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"