2014 German Grand Prix - Hockenheim

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
djos

Re: 2014 German Grand Prix

SectorOne wrote:F1 Officials demanded the track to be shortened, and so it was.

Frankly the old circuit was just a bunch of straights with three chicanes. I´m amazed the drivers did not fall asleep there.
They were going to fast to fall asleep! I loved driving the circuit on various F1 games too ... just sooo much fun! 8)
"In downforce we trust"

beelsebob

I have to say, I didn't really like the old Hockenheim. It's roughly as exciting as Monza - i.e. not very. That said, the new circuit seems very micky mouse. The complex they added to the old loop was never a great addition. To me, they need to tweak that, and the silly micky mouse section coming away from the hairpin. The first few corners I think are great.

This is where I'd go with the current layout to try and get something out of it:

The idea being to provide a decent overtaking opportunity into the complex by removing the aero section from the middle of the back straight, and tightening up the entry corner to increase the size of the braking zone. Then to get rid of the silly non-chicane which is flat out in the complex by tightening up the exit of the hairpin. Finally, tightening up the final corner should make it easier to stick behind someone into there, and increase overtaking.

beelsebob

Actually, slight tweak:

This gives room for a decent sized gravel trap at the end of the straight, and complicates braking into the final corner, increasing the chance of mistakes.

FW17

beelsebob wrote:Actually, slight tweak:
http://cl.ly/image/2R1Y0D430o3n/Hockenheim2.jpg

This gives room for a decent sized gravel trap at the end of the straight, and complicates braking into the final corner, increasing the chance of mistakes.
Why bother!

This the last f1 race at Hockenheim

SectorOne

And the organizers just shot themselves in the foot. They offered a 11 euro discount for every goal Germany did against Brazil.
So anyone who buys tickets will get a 77 euro dicsount.

http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/09097
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

djos

Lol, that is hilarious!
"In downforce we trust"

zioture

F1 2014 GERMAN GP: LEWIS HAMILTON IN THE F1 SIMULATOR

iotar__

What, they didn't let Rosberg in the simulator? I knew it :cry: , disadvantage Rosberg, Lowe only likes L.H.

beelsebob

It's pretty amazing actually to hear him literally stamping on the brake pedal. I always interpreted that to be a bit of an exaggeration, but he really does just hammer his foot down.

RicerDude

iotar__ wrote:What, they didn't let Rosberg in the simulator? I knew it :cry: , disadvantage Rosberg, Lowe only likes L.H.
According to the videos Rosberg hasn't been in the simulator all season.

SectorOne

beelsebob wrote:It's pretty amazing actually to hear him literally stamping on the brake pedal. I always interpreted that to be a bit of an exaggeration, but he really does just hammer his foot down.
Everyone does at high speed, otherwise you are not maximizing the brakes while you have the downforce on the car.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

ringo

RicerDude wrote:
iotar__ wrote:What, they didn't let Rosberg in the simulator? I knew it :cry: , disadvantage Rosberg, Lowe only likes L.H.
According to the videos Rosberg hasn't been in the simulator all season.
The Germans think it's Lewis who hasn't had a go all season.
For Sure!!

iotar__

Rosberg ("not a real German") is pure, natural racer "shut up and let me drive" style , he doesn't need simulators or coaching about brakes so after re-thinking I'm fine with that. =D>

What else is there to get excited about this season/race apart from R-H soap opera? FRIC or standing restart? Turns out all teams agreed to them so every driver who complained publicly: shut up and go whine about it to your own team, or next time don't forget to mention that was "our" idea. How about that tough guys, not cool to critisize your own employer, biting a hand that feeds you, not a "team player"?

SectorOne

iotar__ wrote:Rosberg ("not a real German") is pure, natural racer "shut up and let me drive" style , he doesn't need simulators or coaching about brakes so after re-thinking I'm fine with that. =D>
So you seriously think that because Hamilton has done PR laps as part of his contract (similar to Vettel in previous years) Rosberg do not run the simulator?

WaikeCU

I think it's just how driver's think of driving a simulator. Some like it and some don't. I think Kimi is one of those who doesn't really think it's a massive improvement to his driving. I think every natural racing driver uses their bottom to feel how the car behaves and that I think is something that probably isn't reproducible in a simulator. So perhaps Rosberg doesn't mind not using the simulator, because he probably thinks it doesn't add much to his game.