2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

2013 Pole Lap

1:19.398

2014 tyre selection
Prime = Medium
Option = Soft

One of the most boring races of the year, with only one real overtaking zone. This year's lack of downforce will push down lap times to make it even more boring. I'm guessing pole will be in the 1:23 range. It is very hot there during this time of year, and the key to a fast lap time is high amounts of mid speed downforce to keep the highest amount of momentum through the second sector. Sector 1 is all about engine power, and sector three is characterized by slow never ending turns.

Weather forcasts are claiming a 38C temperature for the weekend which is the hottest of the year so far. I don't think it will rain, although I'm kind of hoping it does for the race.

Hamilton is massive around here, if nothing catastrophic happens he'll walk away with this one. This may be Red Bull's best chance to have a good result, although the Ferrari is slowly getting better. I don't think the Williams will do as well here as it has in the last two tracks because mid speed downforce is so important.
Saishū kōnā

Kingshark

Re: 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix

Hamilton is massive around here, if nothing catastrophic happens he'll walk away with this one.
Then again, many said the same thing about Canada, and Nico took pole there.

MercedesAMGSpy

Kingshark wrote:
Hamilton is massive around here, if nothing catastrophic happens he'll walk away with this one.
Then again, this is another race. We will see.

SamH123

Surely RB will beat Williams this time

Williams were very bad at Monaco although maybe they have improved a little since then.

raymondu999

I wonder if the focus on cornering here will even put RB in the contention for the win. Not that hard on brakes to give them the chance they had in Canada though.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Sevach

raymondu999 wrote:I wonder if the focus on cornering here will even put RB in the contention for the win. Not that hard on brakes to give them the chance they had in Canada though.
After watching some of Vettel's onboard, no i don't think so, the Renault response isn't as good as the Mercedes and they struggle on the exits.

Also even if they, maybe, had the best chassis early on i don't think that still applies.

raymondu999

Not many important exits in Hungary though - traction is only important out of Turn 2 and the last corner.
I'm intrigued. What makes you say Red Bull no longer has the top chassis?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SilverArrow10

No one mention Canada :lol: am still getting over that, the race where Hamilton was supposed to destroy Rosberg. So we don't know what's going to happen here. But Hamilton really needs a pole and win just as a confidence boost. He hasn't beaten Rosberg while both finished since Spain. #-o
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Sevach

raymondu999 wrote:Not many important exits in Hungary though - traction is only important out of Turn 2 and the last corner.
Mercedes seem to hit the apexes easier than they do, and of course better exits (not just the heavy accelerations).

I expect Red Bull to be better than the Williams but pose no threat to Mercedes.

SectorOne

I think if there´s one place on earth where Hamilton can switch the momentum to his side it´s in Hungary.

One more win here and he´s got the most wins on this track edging out Schumacher.
However winning the race three years in a row is gonna be tough.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

raymondu999

Sevach wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Not many important exits in Hungary though - traction is only important out of Turn 2 and the last corner.
Mercedes seem to hit the apexes easier than they do, and of course better exits (not just the heavy accelerations).

I expect Red Bull to be better than the Williams but pose no threat to Mercedes.
I beg to differ - I don't think that's necessarily a sign of a better chassis. The Merc since 2011 has always had a stronger turn in than the Red Bull.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mkay

Kingshark wrote:
Then again, many said the opposite thing about China, and Lewis crushed Nico there.
[We can go on an on]

Rules are different, cars are different. So much can happen.

SiLo

It's probably safer to say that Hamilton won't be slow, he's always been good here, but Rosberg has been on form all year and will likely give him a run for his money.
Felipe Baby!

iotar__

- Medium and soft, why? As Alonso-Vettel in GB and Germany race showed only different strategies and degradation can give us a bit of racing,
- What will be Hamilton's psychological weapon that backfires?
- Weird track, if Red Bull suck here and are clearly behind Williams they have no excuses. Did you notice how after contract signing Horner stopped his weekly Renault whining routine?
- Q: 1. Ham 2. Rosb - LH can't be awful at qualifying forever, percentages.

Sevach

raymondu999 wrote:
Sevach wrote:

I beg to differ - I don't think that's necessarily a sign of a better chassis. The Merc since 2011 has always had a stronger turn in than the Red Bull.
Maybe, but what they gained on entry they lost on the exit back then, now they smoke RBR on exits.

Early on Red Bull had a very good front end, seeing them go through the stadium last weekend they had a lot more understeer than the Mercedes.

And compared to the Merc the Renault engine looks like it has old school turbo lag.