2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Hall_Green_Wolf

Re: 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

That has to be one of the worst team order calls in recent history.

Well done lewis for the reply.
Sometimes your the bat, sometimes your the ball.

Shrieker

f1-neil wrote: Thank you. I was only watching for a sky TV ipad App, so my view might not have being the best, but wouldn't the safety car have caused them to bunch up and the spin not cost lewis places?
Very interesting read about the subject here: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/07/27/2 ... -charts-2/

Seems like i was wrong about the first safety car, Hamilton was in 14th and from the graph it looks like gained 1 place in the pits. It was only after the second safety car period that he climbed up to 7th place.

Then my argument should revolve around how many places he'd have gained before the first safety car without his spin, and whether that would've offered him a chance to be placed higher than 7th in the second safety car period. Needs looking into really. If my memory serves me correct, yes. But then again, it didn't serve me correct about the safety car periods to begin with.
Hall_Green_Wolf wrote:That has to be one of the worst team order calls in recent history.

I think Hamilton handled it brilliantly. "If he tries to pass, i'll let him go". Which he couldn't.
Last edited by Shrieker on 27 Jul 2014, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

langwadt

Hall_Green_Wolf wrote:That has to be one of the worst team order calls in recent history.

inthe interview on german tv Lauda almost said that it was the wrong call from the pits, and also that he fully understood that Ham wasn't going to let Ros past unless they were side by side

Hall_Green_Wolf

langwadt wrote:

inthe interview on german tv Lauda almost said that it was the wrong call from the pits, and also that he fully understood that Ham wasn't going to let Ros past unless they were side by side
I was gobsmacked when i heard it come through it was ridiculous and fuels the flames for F1 haters. Lewis was challenging a ferrari at the time ffs merc looked like amateurs today.

Shrieker

This is where Rosberg lost the chance to win:
Hamilton immediately pounced on Bottas, Esteban Gutierrez and Nico Hulkenberg, then profited from Sergio Perez going off to gain four places in half a lap. At the same time Alonso got past Vettel. But Rosberg made a poor restart and was passed by Kevin Magnussen’s intermediate-shod McLaren.

The next time by Rosberg tried to re-pass Magnussen but couldn’t – and Jean-Eric Vergne’s Toro Rosso capitalised. And while Rosberg braked cautiously for turn ten Alonso zapped around the outside of him. Now only Vettel’s Red Bull separated pole sitter Rosberg from Hamilton, who had started in the pit lane.
To his credit, this was just after the sc period where smoke was coming out of his rear left brake.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

SectorOne

The only mystery left is the Mediums. I just don´t understand why they would put him on a tire that´s about 1 second slower per lap and wasn´t really better in the long run.

the guys in front of him took softs, Rosberg took softs yet they felt Mediums was key for some reason.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

dans79

Shrieker wrote:This is where Rosberg lost the chance to win:
Hamilton immediately pounced on Bottas, Esteban Gutierrez and Nico Hulkenberg, then profited from Sergio Perez going off to gain four places in half a lap. At the same time Alonso got past Vettel. But Rosberg made a poor restart and was passed by Kevin Magnussen’s intermediate-shod McLaren.

The next time by Rosberg tried to re-pass Magnussen but couldn’t – and Jean-Eric Vergne’s Toro Rosso capitalised. And while Rosberg braked cautiously for turn ten Alonso zapped around the outside of him. Now only Vettel’s Red Bull separated pole sitter Rosberg from Hamilton, who had started in the pit lane.
I think that's because Nico is driving in safety mode, always trying to protect the lead. Only after he realized he could lose points to Lewis did he start to show any conviction.
197 104 103 7

dans79

SectorOne wrote:The only mystery left is the Mediums. I just don´t understand why they would put him on a tire that´s about 1 second slower per lap and wasn´t really better in the long run.

the guys in front of him took softs, Rosberg took softs yet they felt Mediums was key for some reason.

Gotta remember the merc rule, the lead driver gets the preferred strategy!
197 104 103 7

SectorOne

Yea the thing is he was in the lead, he had a full pit stop on Rosberg. Like in Bahrain, he was the first guy in the pits and led every lap after that, got the best Strat.

Did he have Softs left? Maybe that´s why.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Hall_Green_Wolf

Gotta remember the merc rule, the lead driver gets the preferred strategy!

Or in this case gets a bull5hit team order.

deterherligt

SectorOne wrote:Yea the thing is he was in the lead, he had a full pit stop on Rosberg. Like in Bahrain, he was the first guy in the pits and led every lap after that, got the best Strat.

Did he have Softs left? Maybe that´s why.
As he didn't compete in qualifying he had all tires he would want, so thats not the reason they put on the mediums...

dans79

Since he had half a qualifying lap, I can't see how he wouldn't have 2 brand new sets.
197 104 103 7

SectorOne

Oh yea that´s right, wasn´t even thinking about that..

Maybe the pudding is in the radio transcripts that should come on Tuesday around there on F1Fanatical.

Waywardism

SectorOne wrote:The only mystery left is the Mediums. I just don´t understand why they would put him on a tire that´s about 1 second slower per lap and wasn´t really better in the long run.

They gave Rosberg softs on lap 32 with the intention of pitting him again.

Lap 39 when Hamilton pitted they guessed the best way to go would be brand new mediums and go to the end.

Pretty simply really. That's not to say it was a good call.

EDIT: I guess they felt at the time that the softs were good for 20ish laps and the mediums for 30ish.
Last edited by Waywardism on 27 Jul 2014, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

De la Rosa said even Mediums could struggle to finish the race (32 laps remaining), as they had never last more than 30 laps. When Alonso took softs he assumed he was going to do two stints...

It must be track conditions (temp) what made possible the softs to last that long, and you see how they finished, Ricciardo was more than 1 sec faster than them when his tyres were not new either (12 laps when get passed Alonso)

It was a risky bet by Ferrari to fight for victory, and they almost succed. Hamilton did the usual strategy, mediums for a long stint (31 laps), and Ricciardo did the usual strategy with softs for one more pit-stop

It was only Alonso/Ferrari who made something weird, but that´s what they´re forced to do to have some chance for victory. That´s also what people is asking them for quite a long time, they´ve been too conservative lately

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/07/27/2 ... pit-stops/