2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
feni_remmen

Re: 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

Splitting strategies makes sense when the race is a bit of a lottery. McLaren could have gambled on 1 car perhaps in Hungary. As it turned out, only 1 car would've suffered.

ringo

f1-neil wrote:
enigmatic enthusiast wrote: Mercedes splitting the tire strategy between the two cars really makes sense if the two are only fighting each other.
Yeah but if you think about it. If this was a normal race with a Merc 1 and 2, which ever driver was put onto the mediums strategy would have being a total unfair sitting duck to the driver given then two soft strategy.

Even going back to Bahrain, that was a crazy situation (it happened elsewhere again) where Rosberg coming up behind had the superior strategy/tyres.

It seems Merc and McLaren have wierd ideas of equality, they seem to think if they disadvantage one of their drivers then its some how equality.
They want equal outcomes as i said in the team thread. They don't want equal opportunity or maximum potential. They like converging strategies; even if it means on car is slightly hampered in doing so.
For Sure!!

f1-neil

ringo wrote: They like converging strategies; even if it means on car is slightly hampered in doing so.

To what purpose.

dans79

f1-neil wrote:
ringo wrote: They like converging strategies; even if it means on car is slightly hampered in doing so.
To what purpose.
they are trying to dominate, but instead of letting it happen naturally, it's pretty obvious they are micro managing.
197 104 103 7

komninosm

iotar__ wrote:reality wasn't like that at all, mediums weren't slow at all, 2. after getting up to speed they weren't in a good condition, as was evident from Ricciardo overtake mistake and inability to overtake "gone soft tyres" Alonso.
:roll: :roll:
Oh you mean the alternate reality the one in your head

Troll ignored...

komninosm

Shrieker wrote:Inter, soft, soft, soft was best. It won the race. Inter soft, soft was second best, it took Alonso to second. Inter soft, medium was the worst strategy, and Hamilton wouldn't have managed a podium with it if he wasn't ruthless on the last lap.

I still do not understand why they put Hamilton on mediums. At no point in the weekend it surpassed softs in longevity. And were 1 to 1.5 seconds slower... It's like shooting yourself in the foot.
I gave a possible explanation earlier.
Initially Mercedes strategy was to put Hamilton on mediums so he could avoid traffic and gain positions without overtaking. That was assuming no Safety Car probably no inters either, dry race. Remember a lot of people said if the race was dry they would use soft tires all the way and put mediums just for a lap or two. Somehow Mercedes thought mediums aren't that bad, we can make it if we try (wrong!). And then the race happened, and there were safety cars and they did NOT change their strategy because they were lazy. timid, unfair (to Ham) take your pick (could be more than one). :roll:

strad

You're beating a dead horse Image
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

komninosm wrote:
Shrieker wrote:Inter, soft, soft, soft was best. It won the race. Inter soft, soft was second best, it took Alonso to second. Inter soft, medium was the worst strategy, and Hamilton wouldn't have managed a podium with it if he wasn't ruthless on the last lap.

I still do not understand why they put Hamilton on mediums. At no point in the weekend it surpassed softs in longevity. And were 1 to 1.5 seconds slower... It's like shooting yourself in the foot.
I gave a possible explanation earlier.
Initially Mercedes strategy was to put Hamilton on mediums so he could avoid traffic and gain positions without overtaking. That was assuming no Safety Car probably no inters either, dry race. Remember a lot of people said if the race was dry they would use soft tires all the way and put mediums just for a lap or two. Somehow Mercedes thought mediums aren't that bad, we can make it if we try (wrong!). And then the race happened, and there were safety cars and they did NOT change their strategy because they were lazy. timid, unfair (to Ham) take your pick (could be more than one). :roll:
Lauda said Mercedes panicking when they made that stupid decision.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

Kingshark

Re: 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix

Kingshark wrote:I have a good feeling about Ferrari (don't ask me why), maybe Alonso will be as competitive here as he was in China, but that's mostly wishful thinking..
:mrgreen: 8)