2014 Italian GP - Monza, September 5-7

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FW17

2014 Italian GP - Monza, September 5-7

•Circuit type Race
•Circuit Length 5.793kms
•Circuit Turns 11
•Circuit Direction Clockwise
•Capacity 115,000
•Established 1922

Circuit Info

Few names are as evocative as Monza, built in 1922 and for many years one of the fastest circuits. It was the first purpose-built venue to stage a grand prix and the first to charge for entry. It was also two tracks. One, a US-style oval with two straights and two heavily-banked corners (demolished in 1938) the other a facsimile of a road circuit. But while hugely popular, it was also highly dangerous. In 1928 a driver and 27 spectators were killed, and despite safety modifications, five years later three top drivers died in one race.

A new banked circuit was built in 1955 but this only staged two grands prix before being ditched because of concerns over the stresses it imposed on cars. But even the road course was unsafe, and in 1961 Wolfgang von Trips died along with 14 spectators when he crashed. Subsequent additions of chicanes reduced speeds.

Despite numerous modifications over the years to improve safety for both drivers and spectators, the circuit faces criticism for its lack of run-off especially at the Variante della Roggia corner. Despite the ongoing safety debate the circuit is still a firm favourite with fans who can always expect an action-packed high-speed race. Legendary Ferrari fans, known as the Tifosi, turn the stands to a sea of red on race day, as they cheer on their team at their local circuit.

One of the old-school of grand prix circuits Monza has a very special atmosphere; the Italians often refer to it as "La Pista Magica" or the magic track.

Monza's iconic Parabolica has lost its gravel trap in favour of a tarmac run-off area which is being installed ahead of the 2014 Italian Grand Prix.

Parabolica, the final turn at the Monza circuit, has traditionally had a gravel trap after a section of grass to penalise drivers for running wide on one of F1's most challenging corners. But it appears the corner has been altered ahead of this year's race, with pictures emerging on Thursday of gravel being put down at Parabolica.

The change may be in anticipation of the possible return of World Superbikes to Monza in 2015, with safety officers from the series recently meeting track officials and raising concerns about the lack of run-off areas. The Italian Grand Prix takes place on September 7, with doubts still surrounding F1's future at Monza following Bernie Ecclestone's threats to drop the venue from the calendar after 2016.

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/stor ... wlYjbuA.99

Last edited by FW17 on 25 Aug 2014, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.

FW17

Re: Italian Monza September 5-7 2014

Red Bull kind of showed their had at Spa that they are capable of doing about 330 kph with almost no wings and still have plenty of grip. I guess that should be easy for Merc to have do at least 350 kph with flat wings, not sure of how much grip they will have though.

iotar__

Oh no, five pages of tarmac run offs discussion ;-). If Senna died at Parabolica we would have had tarmac there for twenty years and no one would even blink against it. General correlation and physics is not enough, only big name and death would be sufficient.

I think Mercedes is winning this one, Spa gave a quick answer to wishful thinking question if Williams can challenge them and proved opposite predictions right. No collisions this time, another "change of policy" at Merc proving they have no policies at all. I would suggest anyone not to get close to Alonso if he wants to overtake, I'm sure this another twist in "we're not giving penalties for nothing" or rather "yes we do depending on a driver" policy will turn boring season into even more boring and force drivers to take no risks at all.

mikeerfol

Re: 2014 Italian GP - Monza, September 5-7

Mercedes cars to retire, crashing into each other.

:P

SectorOne

Been looking forward to this one for quite a while now to be honest.
Hoping to see them crack 350-360km/h as the V8 years usually saw them top out at 340km/h
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

FW17

iotar__ wrote:Oh no, five pages of tarmac run offs discussion ;-). If Senna died at Parabolica we would have had tarmac there for twenty years and no one would even blink against it. General correlation and physics is not enough, only big name and death would be sufficient.
I hope the discussion is not on run-off area, but if Senna died at parabolica, it would have become a chicane.

Waywardism

Cue Vettel all 4 wheels off track at Parabolica for 90% of laps...

AnthonyG

I think tracks like these are better off without f1, in the end all they recieve is a tarmac runoff galore and te initial charm gets lost.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

alexx_88

Monza got the tarmac run-off because of Moto GP, not F1. That is what I thought initially too, though.

SiLo

I still think Merc should be 1-2 here. The only reason they haven't for so long is because of poor decision making by either the pit wall, or by the drivers and some poor reliability.

Merc 1-2, Hamilton to finally get his mojo back. Ricciardo to beat Vettel again and Alonso to be right up there with Bottas having a good fight.
Felipe Baby!

matt_b

Top speeds are going to be crazy, the double Lesmos are going be a handful for the drivers using a ruler as a rear wing.

NTS
NTS

I predict Red Bull will be extremely fast through Parabolica and the Lesmos. Only second to Mercedes because of the engine difference. Which means Ricciardo in the top 3, Vettel a bit behind and Mercedes either 1-2 or a team controversy that causes them to lose more points to Ricciardo.

Just_a_fan

WilliamsF1 wrote:Red Bull kind of showed their had at Spa that they are capable of doing about 330 kph with almost no wings and still have plenty of grip. I guess that should be easy for Merc to have do at least 350 kph with flat wings, not sure of how much grip they will have though.
Merc will be quick here. Red Bull are no longer the stand out downforce kings - the Mercedes is on a par with them. You don't run 2 seconds a lap quicker at Spa without serious downforce and top speed.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djos

WilliamsF1 wrote:Red Bull kind of showed their had at Spa that they are capable of doing about 330 kph with almost no wings and still have plenty of grip. I guess that should be easy for Merc to have do at least 350 kph with flat wings, not sure of how much grip they will have though.
Redbull changed their gear ratio settings for Spa too so it was a combination of new ERS, tiny wings and better matched ratios.
"In downforce we trust"

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote:
Merc will be quick here. Red Bull are no longer the stand out downforce kings - the Mercedes is on a par with them. You don't run 2 seconds a lap quicker at Spa without serious downforce and top speed.
2 seconds is overreacting a bit. Yes, qualli and FL were 2s quicker than the rest, but they were results of unpredictability rather than flat out speed. RB ran almost no downforce which killed them in the rain, but then kept them in good shape during the race.
Roberg's laptimes were identical to Ricciardo's when they were both on medium tires.