2014 Italian GP - Monza, September 5-7

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Kingshark
Kingshark

Re: 2014 Italian GP - Monza, September 5-7

henra wrote: Still quite remarkable against a team mate Lewis Hamilton who was always considered among the masters of the single lap.
Indeed. I really hope that Rosberg matches Senna's record although I'm not holding my breathe for it.

As far as I'm concerned, Nico and Lewis have a 50-50 chance for pole around Monza. At Singapore however, Nico is definitely the heads-on favorite in my book.

matt_b
matt_b

I take it Ferrari wont be doing their annual slip stream attempt in qualifying this year.

gray41

matt_b wrote:I take it Ferrari wont be doing their annual slip stream attempt in qualifying this year.
You never know. :mrgreen:
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

djos

matt_b wrote:I take it Ferrari wont be doing their annual slip stream attempt in qualifying this year.
Somehow I think Kimi would have a contract clause that prevents Ferrari from using him the way they did Massa. :lol:
"In downforce we trust"

NTS
NTS

I'm waiting for Williams to do it this year :mrgreen:

SectorOne

Lotus technical director Nick Chester believes speeds at Monza could hit 360kph (223mph) during the Italian Grand Prix weekend.

The 2014 power units and aerodynamic regulations have seen increased straight-line speeds this season. With Monza the fastest race of the year and requiring special low downforce aerodynamic packages, Chester said speeds topping 220mph given the right conditions on one of the circuit's long straights.

“It will depend on the downforce and drag levels that the teams will run but I expect it will be higher than last year,” Chester said. “It might be possible to achieve 360kph on the straight, depending if the car is getting a tow with DRS.”

That figure is still less than Juan-Pablo Montoya managed at Monza while driving the V10-powered McLaren MP4/20 in 2005 as he registered just over 372kph. However, Chester says he is looking forward to seeing drivers trying to handle increased levels of torque this year.

“They will be a little bit trickier [to drive] than last year's car being a bit lighter in downforce and with more torque in the turbo engines so I think the exit of the chicanes can be quite tricky. We have seen in all the cars this year how the cars move under acceleration out of a corner and at Monza which is the circuit where we run the cars in their most slippery configuration, we will see some acrobatics from the drivers as they manage the cars on power at mid-corner and also on the exits.”

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/208152/1/m ... mpaign=rss
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

NTS
NTS

SectorOne wrote:That figure is still less than Juan-Pablo Montoya managed at Monza while driving the V10-powered McLaren MP4/20 in 2005 as he registered just over 372kph.
And at that time DRS did not exist yet, so this 372 km/h was with a full rear-wing.

SectorOne

They had a 900 horsepower V10 instead though :)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

NTS
NTS

Those were the days :)

Juzh

605 kg

SectorOne

NTS wrote:Those were the days :)
I can´t disagree with that :)
Although i have to say that the whole powerplant of today is quite impressive, i mean looking at the onboard race of SPA and watching the Merc´s out of corners is just pure insanity, the thing just picks up and goes like nothing else.
(Especially bus stop toward La Source, just incredible how it gathers speed)

I´d love to have V10´s back but just in terms of power i think these power units are very impressive in what they manage to accomplish.

I was never really a fan of the V8´s as i was of the screamers like V10´s and V12´s.

djos

Indeed they were, the FIA should increase the fuel flow limit so we can have 900 hp PU's - that'll really sort the men from the boys!
"In downforce we trust"

ackzsel

djos wrote:
Indeed they were, the FIA should increase the fuel flow limit so we can have 900 hp PU's - that'll really sort the men from the boys!
I can deal with the 100 kg race limit but I would love to see the 100 kg/h disappear. The peak power output of these PUs could be amazing and really boost qualifying performance.

NTS
NTS

That would allow extreme power in qualifying, because there is no limit on boost. The only limit is how far the engineers can push it without reliability issues and within the 5 engines per season.

djos

2014 Italian GP - Monza, September 5-7

NTS wrote:That would allow extreme power in qualifying, because there is no limit on boost. The only limit is how far the engineers can push it without reliability issues and within the 5 engines per season.
Exactly and that would be fun!!! :D

We'd be back to more reliability issues as the engineers tried to balance performance with engine life again. I miss the days of 1 engine per weekend!
"In downforce we trust"