2014 Singapore GP - Marina Bay, September 19-21

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
McMrocks
McMrocks

Re: 2014 Singapore GP - Marina Bay, September 19-21

I thought that the maximum race time is 2hours.

If the race is red-flagged the countdown stops counting. But the maximum race time with red flags is 4h.

That is what i understood

mikeerfol

McMrocks wrote:I thought that the maximum race time is 2hours.

If the race is red-flagged the countdown stops counting. But the maximum race time with red flags is 4h.

That is what i understood
Yeah, this is the rule since 2012.

Richard
Richard

The 4 hour rule came in after Canada 2011 was delayed by rain.

Kingshark
Kingshark

Rosberg's record at Singapore:

2008: Genius. Brilliant drive in a shitbox of a Williams.
2009: Should have taken pole if not for Barrichello's shunt in Q3. Had a great race until a silly mistake.
2010: P5. Very good drive overall, made Michael look like a rookie.
2011: P7 in an average WO2. Probably his worst drive at Singapore overall, still very solid.
2012: P5 in the WO5, which was such a bad car in the latter stages of the season that it didn't even score for the next 6 races.
2013: Outqualified Lewis by 3 spots and was 15 seconds ahead before the SC, then was unlucky with rubber stuck in his front wing. Should have finished 2nd.

MercedesAMGSpy

Rosberg is very strong here, but I don't know how good Hamilton is. He has won the race in 2009, I remember a brilliant pole lap in 2012, but he had some bad weekends too. Rosberg favourite, Hamilton unknown.

Waywardism
Waywardism

Phil wrote:I thought so, but I am fairly certain we had a race this year that extended beyond the 2 hour threshold and it wasn't due to a red flag, but due to safety cars? Or am I getting mixed up? Just trying to think back which race that was...
Silverstone went for 2h 26m due to red flag for Raikkonen's crash.

Next longest race was Hungary: 1h 53m.

NTS
NTS

It would shake things up if Ricciardo wins this one, which isn't impossible... That throws all of the tiresome "if ROS wins 2 and HAM wins 3 of the 1-2s" discussions out the window.

Based on the track there is a chance for RB and probably less for Williams than Monza and Spa. Which is good for Mercedes, because if the p2 / 3 teams split races there is no threat to them whatsoever.

f1316
f1316

I don't see Williams package being suited to this kind of track. They were better in Hungary than Monaco but I think Ferrari will be close to rb behind Mercedes.

FW17

Waywardism wrote:
Phil wrote:I thought so, but I am fairly certain we had a race this year that extended beyond the 2 hour threshold and it wasn't due to a red flag, but due to safety cars? Or am I getting mixed up? Just trying to think back which race that was...

Hungary had 2 safety cars but Singapore has 61 laps @ racing avg of 1m 58s and fastest of 1m 55s they are not going to finish within 2 hours if there is a safety car

Racer X

Force India set to have upgrades for this race a new wing.... im wondering if it will only be a new wing or also a new nose... I expect teams bringing upgrades to shake up the grid either by their upgrades working well or not working... But Nico and Hamilton are getting closer to finishing their Rivalry....
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

spin1/2
spin1/2

Waywardism wrote:

Time under red flag is not counted towards the 2hr racing time limit.

Racing time should not exceed 2hr
Total time (Racing time + Red flag time) should not exceed 4hr (This rule was introduced after Canada 2011 which had long red flagged periods.)

Kingshark
Kingshark

Ricciardo won't win.

1. The WO5 has consistently been the car to beat on every circuit, from Monaco to Monza. I see no reason to believe why Singapore will be any different.
2. Both Mercedes drivers are mighty around the Marina Bay and have been very impressive in past events, especially Rosberg.

He will need some serious luck to win this one. Then again, all 3 of his wins so far this season have came through luck (but also a great deal of his own making).

MercedesAMGSpy

Kingshark wrote:Ricciardo won't win.

1. The WO5 has consistently been the car to beat on every circuit, from Monaco to Monza. I see no reason to believe why Singapore will be any different.
2. Both Mercedes drivers are mighty around the Marina Bay and have been very impressive in past events, especially Rosberg.

He will need some serious luck to win this one. Then again, all 3 of his wins so far this season have came through luck (but also a great deal of his own making).
You never know what can happen with SC situations. The Red Bull suits Singapore and when he is in front (a bit of luck), other cars can't overtake him in the narrow streets.

NTS
NTS

Also the impact of loosing FRIC is higher on this circuit so we might see Force India or Williams surprise us a little?

SiLo

NTS wrote:Also the impact of loosing FRIC is higher on this circuit so we might see Force India or Williams surprise us a little?
I'd pretty much forgotten about that seeing as most of the teams have either figured out a way to get similar results, or because they were all running it, it didn't shake things up as much as we thought it would.
Felipe Baby!