2014 Singapore GP - Marina Bay, September 19-21

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Multi21

Re: 2014 Singapore GP - Marina Bay, September 19-21

strad wrote:
You must be the only person still breathing who thinks that Hamilton was in anyway at fault in his retirement at Spa. Even Rosberg has admitted it was his fault!
Under duress mate,, under duress.
AND in my mind it was Lewis not giving the room he should have.
I've said it wasn't very smart of Nico, but he was far enough up that Lewis was obligated to leave room.
First of all that right-left combination after the straight is not one of the best corners for an outbraking maneuver so for Lewis to have to leave room, Rosberg would have had to have been either exactly side by side or a nose ahead of Lewis entering the corner. On corner entry Hamilton was more than half a car length ahead and due to the flow of the corner, taking the right hander at a normal speed, the car would naturally be pulled left towards the left handed apex. For Lewis to leave space for the left hander( which he shouldn't have to because he was ahead and on the inside) he would have had to go much slower than the optimum entry speed and compromised the next series of corners. Did Hamilton not get drive through penalties for hitting Massa in the same manner at Singapore in 2011 and people claimed the penalty was justified and yet when Maldonado in Valencia or Rosberg at Spa do the same, its Hamilton who should have left room....

djos

Well this is boring, I may not be a Mod but last time I checked the topic was listed as:

"2014 Singapore GP - Marina Bay, September 19-21"

NOT

"Nico vs lewis battle for most number of DNF's while still winning the WDC"

#Fail
"In downforce we trust"

andartop
andartop

But it's all about Lewis vs Nico, isn't it... :roll:
I fear what this forum is going to be like after the last race this year.
It's a no win situation.
Either going to be like:
'see, Lewis is the best driver ever and totally smashed Nico despite having the team against him and Webber's luck.'
or
'Nico is not worth of this championship, if it wasn't for Monaco and Spa Lewis would of (sic) been 3 points ahead now, and if you count all the points he lost (as if he had them in the first place!) with all the bad luck he would of been 103 points ahead.'
or
'see, Lewis is not that great after all, even Nico beat him, and I don't consider Nico a good driver.'
Then every thread will go on forever arguing for and against such un-arguable non arguments, always ending up talking about 2008, Lewis vs Button, Nico vs Schumi etc.'
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

turbof1

I also feel that way - hence why I am getting at the point they start back on equal foot, so that this discussion finally gets to the end of the tunnel.

I mean yes, it's all too bad that Hamilton had more issues; should that spoil the fun now?
#AeroFrodo

Richard
Richard

Lets get back on topic...

It was incredible that Magnussen needed a medical check because his seat back got so hot, also his water bottle was too hot to drink. I know the relentless hunt for weight reduction and optimum aero means cockpits are hot but water being too hot to drink seems to be a design failure?

Harsha
Harsha

richard_leeds wrote:Lets get back on topic...

It was incredible that Magnussen needed a medical check because his seat back got so hot, also his water bottle was too hot to drink. I know the relentless hunt for weight reduction and optimum aero means cockpits are hot but water being too hot to drink seems to be a design failure?
This is the important topic and also i may add KVYAT drink bottle failure before the race start.
In such a tight 2 hr race if driver has no water to drink how he can cope with strain the race puts on. its easy for FIA to rule restrictions like Radio ban and so on but they keep on tightening the most important rules like Weight issues and so -on and designers also tightening the things for performance sake and forgetting the most important performance factor "DRIVER" and his "Needs".

RZS10

The pitstops aren't long enough^^ Otherwise they could have WEC-style interchangeable bottles or they could simple drink during the stop... The current cars are so packed with tech that there's no feasible place for the water to go, it has to be close to the driver, the driver almost sits on top of batteries and has the engine behind him^^

Miguel
Miguel

WTF driver needs? ALONE and UNAIDED I say.

Now, seriously, I can't believe F1 is still "racing" in singapore, with essentially no track changes. We've had some proposals over here, but cutting two corners in monument square seems like a no brainer. Additionally, the underside passage to the marina section seems silly. It's like we're adding 4 corners for the sake of it. One could say that, yes, if you go ahead with those changes, then the track depends much more on top speed and may remove a bit of driver skill. Hell, yes, but having a bit of overtaking plus reducing this 2h borefest can't be a bad thing, right?

And Bernie got rid of Sakhir, for Fangio's sake... At least Suzuka is next.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. When I write Sakhir in the top, I mean Buddh
Last edited by Miguel on 23 Sep 2014, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

mrluke
mrluke

Monaco is only 260km rather than 300km because it is a slow city track, cant we just make the same exception for Singapore taking us down to ~100 minute race.

SectorOne

for what reason? They had an 18 minute Safety Car period but still almost managed to finish the race properly (give or take one lap)
We usually get F1 every other week and now people want to cut down the amount of Formula 1?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

kalinka
kalinka

RZS10 wrote:The pitstops aren't long enough^^ Otherwise they could have WEC-style interchangeable bottles or they could simple drink during the stop... The current cars are so packed with tech that there's no feasible place for the water to go, it has to be close to the driver, the driver almost sits on top of batteries and has the engine behind him^^
They could have obligatory water-refill connectors on the side of the cockpit. I'm sure they can come up with a fast enough pump to suck out half a litre of hot water and change it to fresh water in less than 3sec :D
Or the FIA just can fix the place of the bottle at a more "friendly" place next year.

Shrieker

When Rosberg was interviewed during the race, he was asked what he thought about the past races and he responded by saying that he didn't live in the past and that the past is past. He strikes me as a rational person from that comment. He's fast there's no doubt, maybe not as much pure speed as Hamilton's got but certainly his mind is what's keeping him in the title hunt.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

strad

you know what I think about every time they go to Singapore?
All the people who were adamant that to have a night race would be dangerous because among other things they would never be able to light the circuit well enough and the shadows would add to that danger. I laugh my ass off. They argued with me so hard that it would never work. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

The Egg
The Egg

Does anyone have any more details on ricciardo's ERS failure? He managed to keep up pace OK during the race, just wondered what the failure was and how much time it potentially cost him.

CHT
CHT

I am just wondering so much of the spectacular races we seen this season is down to Safety Car? I would imaging that without the SC period in Singapore, this race would have been unbearable to watch?