2014 Singapore GP - Marina Bay, September 19-21

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Juzh

Re: 2014 Singapore GP - Marina Bay, September 19-21

Racer X wrote:Im gona go ahead and call ForceIndia as a prime candidate for the fight for 4th while at the same time Williams in the fight for 3rd... With a locked out Mercedes-Benz front row..
Lol & lol

MrBigglesworth

Kingshark wrote:On another note, I expect Ferrari (or at least Alonso) to go well on this circuit.

1. Ferrari were pretty good around both Monaco and Hungary, which are closest to Singapore characteristically.
2. Pirelli are bringing the SS and S tyres to this race, so the hard tyre issue minimizes.
3. Alonso has always excelled around this track. Kimi not so much though.
I agree in that I see Ferrari battling up there, for 5/6th. Behind Mercs and RB.

But I can imagine that there might be some interesting results coming up - with no engineers chiding Ros and Ham for turning their engine settings up - who's to say one won't push the engine over the edge, or run out of fuel...

Phil

I wonder what the likelyhood is of a Mercedes car not winning this this weekend. A safety car could ruin the day easily for one of them and if the RedBulls are in the mix and close, perhaps one of them could benefit. Perhaps this will be one of Vettels weekends. He's been on pace in qualifying the last couple of races and perhaps a bit unlucky on strategy... I think a strong weekend for him is just around the corner.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

MercedesAMGSpy

I think Lewis Hamilton isn't a big Brembo fan after Hockenheim.

NTS
NTS

I'm curious how critical the fuel will get for some. Could be interesting to see what is basically a very advanced game of chicken between some drivers: who dares to turn it down the latest.

The Egg

Here's a question for those of you in the know...

If a driver retires from a race as a result of running out of fuel, can they get a free gearbox (or even engine) change?

mipade

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:I think Lewis Hamilton isn't a big Brembo fan after Hockenheim.
Is Lewis back on Brembos or is he still using the Carbon Industries brakes he was forced to use after the Hockenheim crash??

adrianjordan

If this race is as heavy on fuel as some are suggesting, will Lewis be able to take advantage of the fact that he has, pretty consistently from what I recall on the BBC coverage, used less fuel than Nico?

Or are Merc still locking both drivers to using the same engine settings for some stupid reason?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

basti313

adrianjordan wrote:If this race is as heavy on fuel as some are suggesting, will Lewis be able to take advantage of the fact that he has, pretty consistently from what I recall on the BBC coverage, used less fuel than Nico?
It is and always has been a marginal difference. And in Monaco it was the other way round, so I would not read anything into it regarding Singapore.
adrianjordan wrote:Or are Merc still locking both drivers to using the same engine settings for some stupid reason?
They can't anymore. Every driver has to find his own settings now.
Don`t russel the hamster!

PlatinumZealot

Four percent is not marginal by any stretch. In monaco even with hams problems i dont think nico saved more there either... I might be wrong though but i remember keeping a keen eye on that. For fuel hungry tracks like monza we saw Nico being told to save mid race. It is certainly going to be interesting...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

astracrazy

I'm pretty sure Nico has used more fuel than Lewis every race this season...

SectorOne

basti313 wrote:It is and always has been a marginal difference.
Depends on your definition of marginal.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

MercedesAMGSpy

I have heard a lot of radio messages asking Nico to save fuel this season.

prince

SectorOne wrote:
basti313 wrote:It is and always has been a marginal difference.
Depends on your definition of marginal.

http://i.imgur.com/VAS0Y9g.jpg
Assuming that both Nico and Lewis starts with equal load of fuel; With that kind of fuel consumption difference, Lewis carries performance penalty in the later stages of race as he would be carrying more fuel than others. Although he would be free to go much faster than others, the remaining fuel load will nullify that advantage.