2014 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2014 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

Shrieker wrote:This has been one of Hamilton's unlucky tracks. He hasn't performed particularly well either - maybe with the exception of 2010 when he was fighting with gearbox troubles. In 2009 he managed to grab 2nd from Trulli but later lost it, arguably he shouldn't have. 2010 was his stand out performance at Suzuka, very well driven until one of the dog rings let go. 2011, lackluster. 2012, suspension component damaged. 2013 - puncture damage put him out. He'll be having his fingers crossed for better luck this time round.
I think he is due some good luck, or just a lack of bad luck this year.
197 104 103 7

AnthonyG

SectorOne wrote:SUZUKA!! \:D/

For me the best driver´s track in the world, no other place with this kind of flow to it that i have come across.
Designed by a genius that went by the name of John Hugenholtz that also designed Zolder and the roller coaster Zandvoort.
I concur, one of the most underrated tracks among fans, it's an absolute beauty, more than spa...

It's a track that seems to be inert, spectacular whatever car is driving on it. (An f1 or a slower road car...)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Kingshark

Who do you think will take 130R flat out in qualifying?

My guess: Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari.

Mattyw

Is this the one kimi ruined everyones quali and when he was asked 'so kimi what happened out there?' They go 'i spun'

Or is that another track?

Looks crazy fast in that webber clip vs todays clips, is it placebo of the camera angle and high revs drama or are the old cars really that much faster around here!?

Just_a_fan

AnthonyG wrote:
I concur, one of the most underrated tracks among fans, it's an absolute beauty, more than spa...
Which fans? Those who really follow F1, rather than just follow a driver, know the quality of Suzuka.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

It's possible this race could almost live up to the race of 2005, especially with the fight at the front.
Felipe Baby!

SamH123

Tim.Wright wrote:
SamH123 wrote:One of the most disappointing things this year is the almost total lack of any car development
When you say total, you are of course referring to the 5 parts you can see from the outside?

I'm quite certain that the 1000's of other parts under the bodywork have been significantly developed (or reworked in the case of the suspension)
Yeah sorry, forget to express myself properly sometimes
I mean there has been no 'relative' car development between the cars, the pecking order is very stagnant

The only thing obvious movement was is Lotus were amongst the new teams very early on, and then lifted themselves to lower midfield quite quickly
RB/Mercedes/Williams/Ferrari appear same strength as Australia, just with different strengths/weaknesses so they shuffle around a bit sometimes
Maybe Force India have slipped back a little as well

kooleracer

Kingshark wrote:Who do you think will take 130R flat out in qualifying?

Webber's speed through 130R in 2013 during qualifiying was 300 kph. The new cars will have higher entry speed, but I think it maybe won't be flat-out but the corner speed will be higher 310-315 kph.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Juzh

kooleracer wrote:
Kingshark wrote:Who do you think will take 130R flat out in qualifying?

Webber's speed through 130R in 2013 during qualifiying was 300 kph. The new cars will have higher entry speed, but I think it maybe won't be flat-out but the corner speed will be higher 310-315 kph.
Vettel took it at 318 with drs open in 2012. Also 2011. I'm fairly positive it will remain flat.

SectorOne

It will be flat undoubtedly. They still got more downforce then they need there imo.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

foxmulder_ms

Bar reliability problems, if Lewis wins this, I see no chance Niko coming back.

Ozan

Welcome to annual 130r flat out topic :D

speedy56

I think they´ll go through 130R flat out without any problems. They went flat-out through Eau Rouge this year and with opened DRS through 130R back in 2012

SiLo

foxmulder_ms wrote:Bar reliability problems, if Lewis wins this, I see no chance Niko coming back.
That's a very big if.
Felipe Baby!

ParkerArt

AnthonyG wrote:
SectorOne wrote:SUZUKA!! \:D/
...more than spa...
Dems is fightin' words.