2014 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SectorOne

Re: 2014 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

Nords
Suzuka
SPA

Just the way it is.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Chuckjr

foxmulder_ms wrote:Bar reliability problems, if Lewis wins this, I see no chance Niko coming back.
It will be car reliability which will determine the WDC this year, not driver skill. The Merc has proven to be very fragile this year and it undoubtably will be which driver has the better luck with his car, unfortunately. Just one of the many problems of single team total domination. It would be great to have both Mercs fully viable these last races so it could be the drivers which determine the final tally, but that's not realistic considering the track record of the W05.
Watching F1 since 1986.

sectionate

I wouldn't say that 5 retirements out of 28 entries is fragile. Both Williams and Red Bull have had 4 retirements a piece.

turbof1

Chuckjr wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:Bar reliability problems, if Lewis wins this, I see no chance Niko coming back.
It will be car reliability which will determine the WDC this year, not driver skill. The Merc has proven to be very fragile this year and it undoubtably will be which driver has the better luck with his car, unfortunately. Just one of the many problems of single team total domination. It would be great to have both Mercs fully viable these last races so it could be the drivers which determine the final tally, but that's not realistic considering the track record of the W05.
Unfortunaly that is true. Ok, relative to the competition the technical failures are excegerated. However, the altruïtion level is still more then high enough to influence the championship. With some luck this gets corrected with the double points in Abu Dhabi, with some bad luck it deals a double blow.

The one positive thing is that the issue are of none-structural nature and thus are fixable on the very short term. Maybe Mercedes can turn the tide. And the next circuits do seem to be less tough on the cars.
#AeroFrodo

henra

sectionate wrote:I wouldn't say that 5 retirements out of 28 entries is fragile. Both Williams and Red Bull have had 4 retirements a piece.
But they had much more instances where they had to reduce pace significantly to avoid a DNF. Especially Rosberg. He had some cases of unexplicable drops in pace which suddenly recovered a couple of laps later. In some cases both Drivers had to slow down in parallel.
So far the Merc has rarely tolerated continuous maximum pushing. Especially at the hotter races.

Mr Alcatraz

Chuckjr wrote:

This, and also who wins Abu Dhabi, because I will not be the least bit surprised if the double points punks one of the two.

As for reliability Paddy Lowe said after Singapore:
“I’ve said internally from the beginning of the year, when it was clear we had the dominant car, that my biggest concern is that we will decide the championship on the basis of car breakdowns.”

“I’m not going to pretend it’s good enough because it isn’t. It’s one of the weaknesses that we have. We’re doing a lot of work behind the scenes to turn it around but it’s a long-term project. It’s not something you can hit in five minutes. It takes a lot work. We are making progress but we’ve got further to go.”

“It’s one of the features of motor racing that cars break down. It always has been. The racing car is incredibly complicated these days. The number of things that don’t go wrong in a race is immense. The trouble at the moment is that Nico has seen his championship lead wiped out in one afternoon. That’s really tough.”
BTW I don't have a favorite in this battle, so please don't call me on that last line by Lowe. Thanks in advance.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

zioture

F1 2014 Brembo Brake Facts GP Japan Preview

dieguezzz

zioture wrote:F1 2014 Brembo Brake Facts GP Japan Preview
Still 112 kg of force needed for the brake-by-wire system?

mrluke

Your leg is more sensitive to pressure exerted than distance extended, thats why they always have a very stiff pedal.

mikeerfol

Looks like a typhoon could hit the track on race day!
https://twitter.com/fergieweather/statu ... 0016370688

Richard

Less than 2 laps within 4 hours of the start time = no points. Everyone packs up and goes to the next circuit.
FIA Sporting regs wrote:6.5 If a race is suspended under Article 41, and cannot be resumed, no points will be awarded if the leader has completed less than two laps, half points will be awarded if the leader has completed more than two laps but less than 75% of the original race distance and full points will be awarded if the leader has completed 75% or more of the original race distance.

Tim.Wright

dieguezzz wrote:
zioture wrote:F1 2014 Brembo Brake Facts GP Japan Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkanIYBK2tg
Still 112 kg of force needed for the brake-by-wire system?
The regulations limit the master and caliper cylinder diameters I believe. This effectively limits the power of the brake system to whatever the driver can press on the pedal.
Not the engineer at Force India

turbof1

richard_leeds wrote:Less than 2 laps within 4 hours of the start time = no points. Everyone packs up and goes to the next circuit.
FIA Sporting regs wrote:6.5 If a race is suspended under Article 41, and cannot be resumed, no points will be awarded if the leader has completed less than two laps, half points will be awarded if the leader has completed more than two laps but less than 75% of the original race distance and full points will be awarded if the leader has completed 75% or more of the original race distance.
But can they pospone the race or perhaps even make it happen at an earlier time? For instance I remember that not so long ago they posponed a qualy session on Suzuka.
#AeroFrodo

Caerdroia

Likely track for the typhoon is to hit on race day, but it's still early and could yet change. Last circle is 0000 UTC Sunday, red dot is suzuka:

SiLo

Caerdroia wrote:Likely track for the typhoon is to hit on race day, but it's still early and could yet change. Last circle is 0000 UTC Sunday, red dot is suzuka:
http://i.imgur.com/9kIodsA.jpg
Or the weather vaguely holds off, but the huge winds will see cars spinning off left right and centre!
Felipe Baby!