2014 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

Re: 2014 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

Word of caution using the 06/18Z versions of the GFS. It has limited upper air data in those hours as routine balloon launches are done at 00Z and 12Z. I have seen weird stuff in the 06/18Z time frame due to this and tend to trust them a little less.

FWIW

http://www.ral.ucar.edu/hurricanes/real ... /wp182014/

Here is the latest forecast track. (Note time is NOT local) it is US EDT. Sun 2 PM US EDT is Mon 3 AM local. I wanted to show the closest approach to Suzuka in the image, not the location of the storm at race time (especially given potential track/speed errors).

Couple things to keep in mind. The large cone is based on forecast error data and basically shows where the center could track. Keep in mind the center could still end up outside the cone. Even if it is on the edge of the cone the storm is not a point so its effects would extend well outside the cone. The wind radii (blue is 34 kt, yellow is 50 kt, and red is 64 kt) are broken into quadrants and delineate the maximum possible distance from the center a certain wind speed may be experienced within that quadrant. It is quite possible to not experience 34 kt or even 25 kt within the 34 kt wind radii.

Also a strong tropical system often causes a ring of hot/dry weather outside the storm itself. Air being exhausted by the storm will sink around the storm's perimeter causing warming and drying. The current forecast track/strength could very well cause this at Suzuka (tho timing for the race itself is in question).

Richard
Richard

Does Japan shut down major events when a typhoon is forecast? I'm thinking that even though the typhoon might not hit the actual race there might be concern about public safety for people who'd have to travel home in a typhoon after the race.

ps - Please can we move on from the Vergne ying yang?

mikeerfol

Buxton said that the race can't occur on Monday either way because the teams have to leave for Sochi.. Also,
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/517584278461231104

Harsha
Harsha

Back to Component usage

MOWOG

Early darkness could become a problem.
Not to mention projected winds of 130 mph or more! :o
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Richard
Richard

Verstappen/Vergne chatter took a life of it's own so it now has it's own special place :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=20294

mrluke
mrluke

Awful Mercedes reliability shown in that table, just awful.

Caerdroia
Caerdroia

mrluke wrote:Awful Mercedes reliability shown in that table, just awful.
On that note: If the start time isn't changed and there's a high likelihood the race won't go ahead, then now would be a fantastic opportunity to take your 6 engine... effectively a free one.

FrukostScones

no-one was talking about Merc PU reliability in the reliability context... so what are you trying to say? that Merc team has no reliability problem?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FrukostScones

race has to be starte on Saturday now, rain will be too hard all sunday...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Caerdroia
Caerdroia

FrukostScones wrote:
no-one was talking about Merc PU reliability in the reliability context... so what are you trying to say? that Merc team has no reliability problem?
I'm fairly sure it was meant to be a joke to emphasise how great the reliability is... but the sarcasm didn't translate to the internet very well :D
FrukostScones wrote:race has to be starte on Saturday now, rain will be too hard all sunday...
I wouldn't go that far yet. I'm following the latest precip models and a sunday morning start does currently appear possible, but I'm not prepared to commit to a time yet of what I think is the latest possible start time. Precip models arn't the most accurate thing in the world :)

Caerdroia wrote:I wouldn't go that far yet. I'm following the latest precip models and a sunday morning start does currently appear possible, but I'm not prepared to commit to a time yet of what I think is the latest possible start time. Precip models arn't the most accurate thing in the world :)
QFT

Not to mention that a lot of times as tropical systems are recurving the precipitation distribution shifts to the eastern side of the storm. Still a lot of uncertainty right now. I realize they have to make a decision soon but another 24 hours would make things much clearer.

Sevach
Sevach

LOL at Perez, so used to getting coached...

MercedesAMGSpy

Well done Max V.

Juzh

Sevach wrote:LOL at Perez, so used to getting coached...
What happened?