2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vary

Re: 2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

ian_s wrote:
MONEYR wrote: Well, I read that it is an ERS-related setting. As far as I remember they're not allowed to use different (higher) engine maps compared to their teammates.
the teams arent allowed to coach them over the engine modes now, so the situation they had before where one driver was using a different mode than the one they were instructed to use wont happen. its now all down to the driver to decide and Rosberg decided wrong. instead of hitting the 'overtake' button which is instant, he changed to a high output map on a dial, which understandably takes time. if you have to change a dial through 3 positions, you dont want it instantly changing to the 3 different maps.
even if he had done the right thing, it was only a matter of time until Hamilton would have been able to jump him.
As far as I know, engineers can't give instruction to improve driver's performance, but they can give instruction to improve car's performance, so engine settings is allowed...

BanMeToo

Yes they can tell them to change settings on the car... that includes the engine maps of course. Decidedly not a form of driver coaching.

NathanOlder

On the opening lap, did Rosberg simply run wide in T19 or did he have a big oversteer moment? Was there any onboard footage of this? Also, was there any onboard footage onboard Rosberg during the change of lead ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Juzh

Seemed like an instinctive reaction to come into the pits as SC was deployed just moments before. Team probably told him to stay out so he backed out of it.

komninosm

dans79 wrote:
Hobbs04 wrote:
therealjustin wrote:I thought the race was alright but definitely better near the end. The large open space of COTA really showcased just how awful the 2014 cars sound. They were barely audible on television and I suspect it was just as bad in person. When the cars were on the opposite side of the circuit you could probably hear a mouse fart :wtf:

I was in turn 5 and could hear them around the whole circuit. I can say they are awful on tv compared to in person.
I was in turn one, and it was fine as well. I could still here them coming down the back stretch. It was actually nice to be able to have a conversation with someone without having to yell. It was also nice to not need headphones or earplugs.
I agree 100%. This need for loud noise is illogical. I also prefer the turbo sound, sounds techy and futuristic.

djos

2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

komninosm wrote: I agree 100%. This need for loud noise is illogical. I also prefer the turbo sound, sounds techy and futuristic.
They sounded great in the flesh in Melbourne too, they just sounds like Crap on tv and Tbh even the v8's sounded a bit Crap on tv compared to in the flesh.

Imo they are using some really aggressive dynamic range compression or something similar.
"In downforce we trust"

Richard

NathanOlder wrote:On the opening lap, did Rosberg simply run wide in T19 or did he have a big oversteer moment? Was there any onboard footage of this? Also, was there any onboard footage onboard Rosberg during the change of lead ?
I saw that and wondered if we were going to get a repeat of Monza.

Hobbs04

I was very fond of the Ferrari power unit especially on deceleration. The sauber sounded like thunder. Often times you could hear the moment they lost traction or had wheel spin. The other thing was acceleration from 12 to 13 seemed like shifted 4-5 times in very small stretch.

On Alonso's long stint, on medium tires before finishing on softs; he was squealing his tires through the 3,4,5 complex the laps before pitting.

Hobbs04

djos wrote:
Imo they are using some really aggressive dynamic range compression or something similar.
Can you explain range compression

deterherligt

Hobbs04 wrote:
djos wrote:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dynamic+range+compression

More serious, the sound on track have a large dynamic range, and compression is used to make it more viewer freindly. But in general this is done badly and just makes the cars sound horrible.

Chase3009

Since everyone is offering impressions on the sound quality I believe I will join in. First thing, The V6's are extremely anemic sounding compared to the old V8's, some may be ok with that and some not. You really can have a conversation with someone setting beside you and the cars flying by with no problems. The cars don't even drown out the trackside commentary. It can be heard clear as day with the cars at full tilt. I was very surprised by the difference in sound from the engine suppliers. The Renault powered cars sounded decidedly wimpy compared to the others while the Mercs had a nice growl to them. The most surprising thing for me was when the Ferrari powered cars get out of the throttle they all have a very loud growl (for lack of a better word). It is very noticeable and the sound continues until they get back on the gas. I'm not quite sure what route Ferrari took with their pu design that gave them that quirk. The others seem to make no noise at all when off the throttle but both the Ferrari and Sauber cars had the same sound. Overall the sound itself isn't bad, its just very quiet. Its not what one would expect from the self proclaimed pinnacle of motorsport. The Ferrari Challenge and Porsche Cup cars were much louder on track than the F! cars.
Still, watching an F! car fly through the 3-4-5 complex with the speed and direction change is something one would have to experience to believe.

Chase3009

deterherligt wrote:
Hobbs04 wrote:
djos wrote:

More serious, the sound on track have a large dynamic range, and compression is used to make it more viewer freindly. But in general this is done badly and just makes the cars sound horrible.
Coming from a sound engineering background i can attest to this. There is a very large amount of compression on the live feed. Not sure why they chose that route but it is really quite extreme.

deterherligt

Chase3009 wrote:
deterherligt wrote:
Hobbs04 wrote:

Coming from a sound engineering background i can attest to this. There is a very large amount of compression on the live feed. Not sure why they chose that route but it is really quite extreme.
I think the problem is, that they can't get microphones close enough to the cars or using directional microhones is impractical

Their setup might have worked ok for the V8, but i do think the V6 could sound better on TV. Man of peoble are saying they sound great in the flesh, so i assume their setup could be better.

Blanchimont

Found at reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/commen ... side_mics/
Placed just behind barrier and orientated in different directions, a proper sound capturing should be possible.

Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Hobbs04

Thanks deterherligt, I thought range compression was some new tech on the engine relating to compression ratios. Had a good laugh though. But yeah I understand it now, back in the Napster days I always compressed my music so it was quicker to download on dial up internet.

Chase3009 my thoughts exactly. Watching the race on tv right now isn't the same. there is so much missing. I just realized how much I need a new tv too.

Edit spelling