2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jonnycraig

Re: 2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

mikeerfol wrote:Will it be just a 6th engine for Alonso? So only 10 place penalty?
With the additional penalties for each extra component, it makes no sense to not change everything and take a pitlane start, especially with only 18 cars.

Presuming Alonso is able to, of course.

Juzh

Half the grid to start from the pitlane.

SectorOne

Sources people, takes two seconds to add a link for convenience, that way we dont have to go around looking where that was written.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Feuerdrache

Jonnycraig wrote:
Moose wrote:So this means we'll lose 4 in Q1 and 2? Or do we lose 5 and have a top 8 shootout?
Rules will be unchanged. 2,6,10. Vettel isn't bothering though, and rumour is that Alonso won't either due to 6th engines.
If you are right, and only 2 cars will not make it into Q2 and knowing that Alonso and Vettel may not even bother with Q1 due to their planned pitlane start, then Q1 might end up with everyone else only driving an installation lap and going back to the pits to save tyres.

I actually thought 4 cars each would be eliminated in Q1 and Q2.

Juzh

That's right lol. If alo and vet don't take part in Q, then no one will run in Q1 at all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hail22

Imagine if Alo and Vet decide not to run at all and the stewards decide to not allow them to race on the Sunday from pit lane due to not meeting the 107% rule (that is if Alo / Vettel can set a decent time during P3)...It would most certainly be on the front page of most newspapers / gazette(s) in the world "mmmmm money...."
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

ParkerArt

Jonnycraig wrote:Confirmed that Caterham & Marussia are both skipping Austin.
Doesn't that automatically mean they miss Brazil too? Not like either team can afford to charter a 747 themselvesand the flying circus head directly from the US to Brazil.

MercedesAMGSpy

Hail22 wrote:Imagine if Alo and Vet decide not to run at all and the stewards decide to not allow them to race on the Sunday from pit lane due to not meeting the 107% rule (that is if Alo / Vettel can set a decent time during P3)...It would most certainly be on the front page of most newspapers / gazette(s) in the world "mmmmm money...."
Won't happen, you don't send two world champions home.

By the way, at the moment F1 must be happy with every driver/team after the Caterham/Marussia debacle.

BanMeToo

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:
Won't happen, you don't send two world champions home.
+1

They have let Caterham get away with it before (don't remember the exact set of circumstances) , it certainly will be ok in this situation. It's not like they are going to skip practice too....

Burgess

HRT weren't allowed to race once IIRC. 2011 AUs I think? For not making 107%.

PlatinumZealot

That was because they did absolutely no testing at all before the race and allowing them to tace would have been a huge risk to everyone including themselves.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mikeerfol

And 2012 as well.

Andres125sx

Burgess wrote:HRT weren't allowed to race once IIRC. 2011 AUs I think? For not making 107%.
107% rule is to avoid too slow cars on track that may be laped too many times. HRT didn´t make 107% because they were that slow, or they didn´t participate on FP and since they usually struggle to make 107%, with no FP they will never make it, so it´s normal they weren´t allowed to race.

Alonso and Vettel obviously will comply with 107% no matter if they do not participate FP or Q1, so thinking they could not be allowed to participate is nosense

Andres125sx

zioture wrote:Brembo Facts USA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdVYZarvcrg
I never get used to these numbers.... From 320km/h to 80 in 104m.... :o :shock: :wtf:

Juzh

2014 cars dont get anywhere near those numbers.