2014 Brazilian Grand Prix - São Paulo

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
search

Re: 2014 Brazilian Grand Prix - São Paulo

Waywardism wrote: Why did Bottas lose out so much more than Massa?
because Bottas was facing traffic most of the time I guess, resulting in a lot of dirty air and lower downforce, while Massa more or less had a clean race, being on his own most of the time. Although it still was strange Bottas was struggling to keep Maldonado behind (who was on a similar strategy) at one point of the race

gray41

rajs41 wrote:Who was Mercedes man or mechanic on the podium?
Chief mechanics at Mercedes wear the green, I guess this guy was Rosbergs ( I saw another guy in the same green with the other mechanics which might have been Hamiltons )
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Kingshark

Rosberg better hope that the tyre wear in Abu Dhabi is very low and he can do qualifying laps throughout the entire stint, like he did in Sochi. His tyre wear is clearly worse than Hamilton's, shown today.

EDIT: Pirelli are bringing the SS and S to the next race.

dans79

Kingshark wrote:Rosberg better hope that the tyre wear in Abu Dhabi is very low and he can do qualifying laps throughout the entire stint, like he did in Sochi. His tyre wear is clearly worse than Hamilton's, shown today.

EDIT: Pirelli are bringing the SS and S to the next race.
he has to hope for a lot of things, because his fate isn't in his hands. I think it was really telling that today he again told his engineer to stop telling him the Delta to his teammate. It has to weigh heavily on his mind that no matter what he does Lewis always closes up on him in a race.
197 104 103 7

Skippon

rajs41 wrote:Who was Mercedes man or mechanic on the podium?
He was Matt Deane - who is the team's chief mechanic......

and is both Rosberg and Hamilton

Kingshark

I just realized that Rosberg tends to perform best when Pirelli bring the SS and S tyres to the race.

Monaco
Canada
Austria
Germany

4 of his best drives this season, all came when Pirelli brought the SS and S tyres.

That's something working in his favor, but he needs Lewis to have a problem.

astracrazy

Kingshark wrote:I just realized that Rosberg tends to perform best when Pirelli bring the SS and S tyres to the race.

Monaco
Canada
Austria
Germany

4 of his best drives this season, all came when Pirelli brought the SS and S tyres.

That's something working in his favor, but he needs Lewis to have a problem.
Rubbish stat. Canada lewis dnf, austria lewis mucked up quali and started way back and germany lewis brake failure in quali. And we all know monaco.

Just a coinsidence.

If this happens again in abu dhabi with the long drs straights, lewis will clear nico quickly

What got me today was i thought nico was controlling his tyre life with lewis closing in 5sec. When infact he gained no extra laps. Was pure pace from lewis. With better overtaking chance and without the off, lewis would of been long gone

Unc1eM0nty

Lewis really has learned how to look after his tires, this has impressed me more than anything else this season, he's definitely change his driving style to match the tires.

A pity about his spin, even if he didn't overtake him at the 1st stop he could have applied pressure throughout the whole race, his 2nd stint was effectively wasted just making up the 7 seconds.

SiLo

Massively impressive second stint from Hamilton. Rosberg claiming he was managing the gap was rubbish, managing the gap means putting in some quick laps to get the message across that you have the pace to match them, don't remember him doing that. And he knows Lewis can make a move stick, so why let him get so close? - Clearly BS from Nico there.

Fantastic race, I love it when the tyres fall apart and its all over the place, but what was up with the pitstops today? Almost every single one had issues!

Also, after lewis' spin, did anyone else notice the rather slow stop he had? That didn't help his cause either.
Felipe Baby!

AnthonyG

I wonder what I'd read here if it were Rosberg that had the 5-sec spin. :D
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

MOWOG

I am unable to explain how Lewis could make up a 7 second deficit during one stint but could make no impression on Nico when he completed his last pit stop only 0.7 behind. Team orders? Difference between one set of tires and another? What's your theory?
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Burgess

search wrote:
Waywardism wrote: Why did Bottas lose out so much more than Massa?
because Bottas was facing traffic most of the time I guess, resulting in a lot of dirty air and lower downforce, while Massa more or less had a clean race, being on his own most of the time. Although it still was strange Bottas was struggling to keep Maldonado behind (who was on a similar strategy) at one point of the race
So much for Renault saying they were 1 second slower up the hill than the mercedes engines. maldonado was staying right with Bottas up the hill and down the straight and I don't think DRS and slip stream was worth 1 second more like 0.5

Moose

MOWOG wrote:I am unable to explain how Lewis could make up a 7 second deficit during one stint but could make no impression on Nico when he completed his last pit stop only 0.7 behind. Team orders? Difference between one set of tires and another? What's your theory?
Simple - Nico was fast at exactly the right part of the track to defend - that is, he put Lewis just on the verge of losing DRS at the start of the DRS straight. That meant that DRS could only be used to get close, never to actually pass.

MercedesAMGSpy

MOWOG wrote:I am unable to explain how Lewis could make up a 7 second deficit during one stint but could make no impression on Nico when he completed his last pit stop onlry 0.7 behind. Team orders? Difference between one set of tires and another? What's your theory?
Dirty air, losing downforce following another car + straights not long enough. The second straight is pretty useless (too short) with a good exit.

Kingshark

astracrazy wrote:Rubbish stat. Canada lewis dnf, austria lewis mucked up quali and started way back and germany lewis brake failure in quali. And we all know monaco.
When did I ever argue that Nico was better than Lewis in those races? I merely said that he was closer to Lewis in those weekends than he usually is.

In Monaco, there was nothing to choose between the two on raw pace all weekend.
In Canada, Nico was just as fast as Lewis on super soft tyres. On the soft tyres, Lewis was a few tenths quicker, but not enough to pass on circuit.
In Austria, Lewis mucked up his own weekend. Likewise, in the final stint, he was no faster than Nico despite both being in clean air.
As for Germany, I'm inclined to say that Nico had better tyre life that race (like he did in Spain), although we never got to see a straight fight.
If this happens again in abu dhabi with the long drs straights, lewis will clear nico quickly
Since when was Abu Dhabi any better of an overtaking circuit than Interlagos?
What got me today was i thought nico was controlling his tyre life with lewis closing in 5sec. When infact he gained no extra laps. Was pure pace from lewis. With better overtaking chance and without the off, lewis would of been long gone
You don't get a much better overtaking opportunity than the Senna S. Lewis was slightly faster by a few tenths, but not enough to overtake. Catching is one thing, passing is something completely different.