2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
astracrazy

Re: 2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

i honestly think if Lewis has a dnf which is caused by rosberg the fia will come down heavy on him

turbof1

astracrazy wrote:i honestly think if Lewis has a dnf which is caused by rosberg the fia will come down heavy on him
I'm not sure if he will. Max Mosley would certainly have. Jean Todt however rather tries to keep away from controversy (although his very noticable absense is a controversy on its own). He might act on it, however that chance will diminish if the stewards give Rosberg a penalty like a stop 'n go during the race.

I rather see the biggest wrath coming from inside Mercedes.
#AeroFrodo

PlatinumZealot

Phil wrote:Regarding Rosbergs strong qualifying performance this year; Could it be that Rosberg takes more out of his tires on the first few laps (when the tire performs at its best), but consequently suffers from higher wear on longer stints? I've been trying to get my head around how Rosberg seems quicker or roughly identical in qualifying, but Hamilton (at least in the past few races) seems to have a definite pace advantage during the race on the longer stints. Just a difference in how both drivers get their tire temperatures up to temp, Rosberg being more agressive - and thus quicker on the first few laps, but then a higher drop off?

Any thoughts?
I think Rosberg is actually a match for Hamilton in qualifying due to his precision and execution. In Qualifying there is actually a not much scope to how well you can execute and that is in the window of ONE lap - with all it conditions basically stable. There is not much difference between top drivers over a lap. One mistake here or there can cost you even if you have more raw pace over your teammate. Qualifying doesn't equal raw pace. Qualifying is just how well you can execute over ONE LAP. If you raw pace is good, you have more margin for error, but in HAM and ROS case there is a very fine line.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Juzh

Nothing will happen most likely. This is not prost-senna and the 80s. If nico gets pole and leads the race, ham will follow him home, or maybe try an overcut during pitstops. If ham gets the pole and leads, ros won't attempt anything because he'll know he doesn't stand a chance even if he overtakes, because ham needs to break down, so it doesn't make any difference.

SiLo

Hamilton just looks so confident again, I seriously can't see Rosberg winning this race. Hamilton knows he is good here and looks like he is really enjoying himself as well.
Felipe Baby!

SidSidney

astracrazy wrote:i honestly think if Lewis has a dnf which is caused by rosberg the fia will come down heavy on him
I think the FIA like Rosberg. I don't know why, but I get the feeling he will get a pass.
This signature is encrypted to avoid complaints, but it makes me laugh out loud:-
16S75 13E7K 41C53 7CT23 14O5O 67R32 76175 90B67 L4L42 41O63 72W56 98M10 52E87

PlatinumZealot

SiLo wrote:Hamilton just looks so confident again, I seriously can't see Rosberg winning this race. Hamilton knows he is good here and looks like he is really enjoying himself as well.
Hamilton showing some very sttong race pace over rosberg. His drop off of the SS was one lap longer and over one second faster. If rosberg doesnt make changes hamiton WILL overtake him in the pits if he is behind.

PlatinumZealot

I think redbull is running slightly below medium downforce judging by their bahviour under braking.

SidSidney

turbof1 wrote:A suicide dive like Sochi by Rosberg is a possibility.
Let us dream in Bernievision...

Red light... out. They're off. Poor start from Hamilton, Rosberg sneaks a length on him, up the inside, and kabloooey! Rosberg takes out Hamilton at the first corner, clips his front right while turning in, Hamilton's suspension pops and he slides miserably into the gravel. Rosberg, who punctured in the clash, limps around to the pits. Team radio Hamilton: "Nico ran into me deliberately, WTF?!?!" Team radio Rosberg: "He just crashed into me, there was nothing I could do. Puncture!" Nici Lauda says lots of rude stuff on RTL, including words like "schande". Toto pretends to be annoyed. The team change his tires. Close up on Hamilton shows bambi-esque bewilderment in his eyes, as he wonders if Nicole will still love him if he's not world champion this year. Meanwhile Rosberg is back out and carving up the field. The stewards place him under investigation for "causing a collision"... and then exhonerate him when the FIA driver steward - Indycar race legend Danny Sullivan - tells them "it's just rubbin'"! Hamilton arrives back at the pitlane looking seriously put out, and has a hasty interview with Martin Brundle "Disgusting bit of driving, gutted, I was right alongside him... I guess you can't expect a German to play fair" etc. Media uproar ensues, even the NY Times is updating it's front page. Christian Horner is trying - unsuccessfully - to hide his glee in interviews. Back on the track a feisty Ricciardo in 5th (20 points) is blocking 6th placed (16 points) Rosberg as his tires deteriorate into lap 47..48..49. And Maldonado unexpectedly crashes with just six laps to go! Safety car deploys for 3 of last 5 laps. Just enough time for rabid speculation about premeditation, Hamilton's 2016 contract etc. Green light, Alonso scampers away with Vettel in tow, leaving Bottas and Massa chasing. Ricciardo holds station in 5th, Rosberg has him in the DRS window twice on the penultimate lap but can't get the pass to stick and locks up under braking twice, his tires clearly suffering. Final lap, Rosberg needs 5th to take the crown, and we cut away to Hamilton in jeans and UNBRANDED t-shirt talking to RON DENNIS!!!! Turn 8 under braking Rosberg's nose clips the sidepod of Riccuiardo, he loses a few bits of carbon but it's neck and neck through turns 10-11... but we cut away to the winner, as Alonso wins from Vettel, then we cut to Massa as he dives up the inside of Bottas at Turn 20 and hits his team mate once again! The camera stays on the wreakage as a Red Bull and a Mercedes pass by side by side under yellow IN THE F***ING BACKGROUND!!!! As announcers scream at the world feed producer to cut to Rosberg/Ricciardo, James Allen wonders what rule applies if they are side by side under yellow... but no, the producer cuts instead to a theatrically sobbing Nicole Scherzinger who just manages to remember to smile bravely to increase her public profile once again...=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Last edited by SidSidney on 21 Nov 2014, 16:59, edited 5 times in total.
This signature is encrypted to avoid complaints, but it makes me laugh out loud:-
16S75 13E7K 41C53 7CT23 14O5O 67R32 76175 90B67 L4L42 41O63 72W56 98M10 52E87

Phil

....and then??? Man, you can't stop at turn 10-11 without at least hinting what will happen next. Reading that was nearly enough to cause me to faint. :P

EDIT: Seems like you nearly fainted as well while typing that - seems like you hit send before you finished it. Unless, it was me who blacked out and missed your ending.... :lol: =D>

Personally? I'm hoping for a very boring race. :D
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. β€” bhall II
#Team44 supporter

turbof1

Phil wrote:....and then??? Man, you can't stop at turn 10-11 without at least hinting what will happen next. Reading that was nearly enough to cause me to faint. :P

EDIT: Seems like you nearly fainted as well while typing that - seems like you hit send before you finished it. Unless, it was me who blacked out and missed your ending.... :lol: =D>

Personally? I'm hoping for a very boring race. :D
Why, because somebody made a "lightly-hearted" joke :P?
#AeroFrodo

iotar__

PlatinumZealot wrote: I think Rosberg is actually a match for Hamilton in qualifying due to his precision and execution. In Qualifying there is actually a not much scope to how well you can execute and that is in the window of ONE lap - with all it conditions basically stable.
Kudos for reasons (giving credit which is rare, some of Q3 onboards like Suzuka (Degner) looked nice) and it was obviously close but what do you mean matched? Unless you apply alternative reality equalisation i.e.:
- Hamilton faster - domination
- equal - Hamilton still faster
- Rosberg faster - matched
there's no matching nevermind "actually". If you dissect it further which is I admit not exactly scientific and include conditions (dry qualifying better indication of speed) and quality of tracks however subjective (all the classics: Silverstone, Monaco, Canada, Suzuka with Spa and Monza excluded) it looks even clearer. Second part also disagree, the qualifying is where a driver can make a difference with races equalised and dictated by tyres, fuel, strategy and difficulty of overtaking.

As for the rest of usual alternative internet realities:
- yep, 0,08 in FP2 and they should pack it and give trophy to LH no point in qualifying and the racing, clear domination.
- what suicide dive in Sochi FFS? Fairly normal move and ahead early enough, he didn't make it stick but nothing suicidal, not even close to contact and in general very good opportunity for a slightly better driver to win the race. You want suicidal dives watch Raikkonen Magnussen Monaco, Hamilton - Button/Raikkonen Germany or Vergne-Grosjean USA.
- why would scenarios of Rosberg "taking out" Hamilton be even considered when it's the other way round that only makes sense? If reality doesn't match and so on too bad for reality?

gray41

LH vs NR
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

prince

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Phil wrote:Regarding Rosbergs strong qualifying performance this year; Could it be that Rosberg takes more out of his tires on the first few laps (when the tire performs at its best), but consequently suffers from higher wear on longer stints? I've been trying to get my head around how Rosberg seems quicker or roughly identical in qualifying, but Hamilton (at least in the past few races) seems to have a definite pace advantage during the race on the longer stints. Just a difference in how both drivers get their tire temperatures up to temp, Rosberg being more agressive - and thus quicker on the first few laps, but then a higher drop off?

Any thoughts?
I think Rosberg is actually a match for Hamilton in qualifying due to his precision and execution. In Qualifying there is actually a not much scope to how well you can execute and that is in the window of ONE lap - with all it conditions basically stable. There is not much difference between top drivers over a lap. One mistake here or there can cost you even if you have more raw pace over your teammate. Qualifying doesn't equal raw pace. Qualifying is just how well you can execute over ONE LAP. If you raw pace is good, you have more margin for error, but in HAM and ROS case there is a very fine line.
One of the ironies of life, which at times you like and at times you don't, is the statistics borne under a variety of circumstances. Statistics remain, but the circumstances gets evaporated as the fax ink (also used to generate bills at shops). The situation of this year's qualifying has been almost the same. At the end of year when you look at the numbers, they make way for deluded opinions devoid of circumstances. Lewis' qualifying season is marred by his own mistakes and unfortunate circumstances like break fail in Germany, engine fire in Hungary, brake glazing in Spa and USA and OF COURSE MONACO farce. His errors include Canada, Austin, Singapore (although managed to put on pole) and Brazil. Who can forget the brain dead episode of Silverstone. On the other hand, I only remember one mistake from Nico in China, where he spun in Wet. Whenever they both managed to produce their best laps, Lewis prevailed, except in Bahrain.

So, statistically, Nico has better numbers, but that in no way tells he has been superior to Lewis in qualifying.

So, my conclusion, Lewis has been more prone to mistakes than Nico, but when he has managed a clean qualifying, he has prevailed. In wet, whether it is qualifying or race, Lewis has prevailed.

prince

Based on long runs, Red Bull is looking sharp along with Mercs and Williams seems to be struggling to keep the tyre degradation under control. RBR has long run times, which are bisecting two Mercs; and Williams, on an average are a second down. This being a high downforce circuit like Singapore, RBR should comfortably beat Williams here.

Nico felt Williams has some time in their pocket, based on quali sims and is hoping them be in between him and Lewis. Although Williams generally hasn't shown interest in quali sims in free practice throughout the year, unfortunately, they doesn't seem to have pace on this circuit based on what long runs suggest.

"Rosberg sure he can go quicker than Hamilton"