2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Richard

Re: 2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

prince wrote: So, statistically, Nico has better numbers, but that in no way tells he has been superior to Lewis in qualifying.
eerr.... the point of the competition is to get to the line first and score the most points. There's no point in being 'fastest' if you also make mistakes, there are no points for artistic interpretation.

Rosberg has been better meeting the objective of the qualification sessions than Hamilton. However, Hamilton has been better than Rosberg on the ultimate objective of getting to the finish line.

PlatinumZealot

Within earshot of lewis, rosberg said he will be going though lewis' data with a fine tooth comb after fp2.... After hearing that, i dont think lewis is going to show his true pace till q3.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

prince

Richard wrote:
prince wrote: So, statistically, Nico has better numbers, but that in no way tells he has been superior to Lewis in qualifying.
eerr.... the point of the competition is to get to the line first and score the most points. \
Precisely that. Hats off for that point. On that parameter alone, Schumacher is BEST OF ALL TIME without any scope for argument. Period. Isn't it? And still fools argue with the ORDINARY MORTALS like Fangios and Sennas as better, despite records showing otherwise.

Richard

By your own admission Hamilton has performed less well in qualifying due to his own mistakes. So I'm puzzled how you can then say Rosberg hasn't been better in qualifying.

prince

Richard wrote:By your own admission Hamilton has performed less well in qualifying due to his own mistakes. So I'm puzzled how you can then say Rosberg hasn't been better in qualifying.
Statistically YES. Does that reflect the true abilities to conclude who is a better qualifier? That is why, situational analysis is important. WHEN BOTH MANAGE PERFECT LAPS, to me, that is the time the better driver stands out, ability wise. Lewis has been a statistically regarded loser in qualifying this year, but not substandard to Nico ability-wise, considering situations.

Sorry folks for dragging this.

Richard

As far as I was aware a racing driver's ability was measured on getting to the finish line first. No good being fast if you make a mistake.

Emerson.F

Richard wrote:
eerr.... the point of the competition is to get to the line first and score the most points. There's no point in being 'fastest' if you also make mistakes, there are no points for artistic interpretation.

Rosberg has been better meeting the objective of the qualification sessions than Hamilton. However, Hamilton has been better than Rosberg on the ultimate objective of getting to the finish line.
In 6 instances in qually Lewis didn't or was not in the position to put in his fast lap, so the notion that Nico is faster or better in qually is plain rubbish. While some of it where his own mistakes (Silverstone) he's been a bit unlucky.

* Bahrain lockup.
* Silverstone not putting in a fast one.
* Monaco Nico parked it.
* Austria has a massive rear lockup wich the team admitted was technical.
* Spa glazing on his brakes. massive lockups on his fast lap in T1.
* Hungary his car catches fire in Q1 fails to set a time
* Germany again has a critical brake failure and end up in the barriers at full speed.

Nico has been a lucky boy. Lewis is imo still the fastest man in F1 but i think particuly this year he has focused more on racepace setup rather than qually setup. Even with Nico's perfect lap in Singapore, Lewis was still faster while he had a massive lockup in T1. When all is said and done we all know who's the faster driver.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Emerson.F

Button's reaction when Nico tells Hamilton to race cleanly this weekend :shock:
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

ringo

hahaha I like that one!!! :lol:
This is cemented in F1 history.

Button is like.. Oh. is that so... really Nico?!.. Dude!! pshh #-o .. :|
For Sure!!

MercedesAMGSpy

Who cares about the quali battle? What's next? The FP battle? The race counts and nothing more.

search

Grosjean's penalty for changing 3 engine components is a bit harsh, isn't it?

he hasn't reached Q3 for 13 races in a row now, and it's more or less impossible to happen here as well, so he basically has to start last + gets a drive trough penalty for changing three components, while Vettel had to start from pit lane in Austin for changing all.

mrluke

Dont understand why they dont just change everything so he only has to start in pitlane :s

Richard

I'm puzzled why someone would rack up all those penalties when changing the whole PU is less onerous

search

I don't know, monetary reasons maybe?

Blanchimont

Joe Saward trolling in the pc: http://youtu.be/fuZ7js-eSog?t=36m38s
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)