2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
turbof1

Re: 2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

I think the biggest issue is expectations: one team will always create the better car. It's what competition leads to. So however you turn it, one will have the advantage. Often that advantage is big enough to be dominating from the first to the last race, like the Schumacher-Ferrari era, the Senna-Prost era and the Vettel-Red Bull era. So you can't realistically expect to have 8 drivers go into the last round with a shot on the WDC.

Some years have a higher competition. Those are rather rare; the last one was 2010, with 4 drivers going into the last round with a shot at the WDC.

However, the most likely scenario we have in F1 is one dominant driver in one dominant car. Schumacher proved that, Vettel did so too. This year I like to say it was even between Rosberg and Hamilton, and imo we should be greatful for that. It was, in my eyes, a very good season. Last year we knew that Vettel had it in the bag just over halfway the season. Was that fun? No, completely not.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

turbof1 wrote:I think the biggest issue is expectations: one team will always create the better car. It's what competition leads to.
Not just that but more importantly, that´s what prototype racing leads to.
Same thing with innovation. Great but not that great if you want teams to be equal with each other.

btw is that the right way of using to? or should it be too?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Moose
Moose

I actually feel like the exact order of events somewhat deceived us.

In the end, both Rosberg and Hamilton had 3 car failures that caused them to drop completely out of the points. Once we shake that out, we see that hamilton is 67 points clear of Rosberg (42 without double points). The fact that Hamilton got hit with his 3 failures earlier in the season than Rosberg did means that the championship appeared somewhat closer than it really was. The reality is that Hamilton beat Rosberg in a pretty devastating way - he was 6 whole race wins ahead (6 * 7 = 42), 9 if you include double points.

MercedesAMGSpy

And everybody seems to forget Hamilton's qualy problems in Germany and Hungary. Hamilton was on the back foot since that power failure in Australia. In Monza he had to win and he delivered.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

SectorOne wrote:
turbof1 wrote:I think the biggest issue is expectations: one team will always create the better car. It's what competition leads to.
Not just that but more importantly, that´s what prototype racing leads to.
Same thing with innovation. Great but not that great if you want teams to be equal with each other.

btw is that the right way of using to? or should it be too?
"Too" means "also". If you want to say that prototype racing also leads to something then you'd say "that's what prototype racing leads to too." As prototype racing is a subset of competition, in this case the "too" is superfluous because as all competition leads there so prototype competition, by definition, leads there.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Waywardism
Waywardism

RacingFan wrote:And the fact is that we've never had a more boring and predictable season like this one has been.

If you don't agree, well, sorry to say but you're simple a dishonest person
What a trolltastic argument.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

RacingFan wrote:And the fact is that we've never had a more boring and predictable season like this one has been.
You obviously didn't sit through the years (2002 and 2004 especially) that Schumacher was at Ferrari in a dominant car. And he had No.1 status so his team mate was not allowed to compete for the title. That was boring. That was soooo boring.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

The moment he started writing the most unbiased person would be he was all you need :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Moose
Moose

Just_a_fan wrote:
You obviously didn't sit through the years (2002 and 2004 especially) that Schumacher was at Ferrari in a dominant car. And he had No.1 status so his team mate was not allowed to compete for the title. That was boring. That was soooo boring.
That's exactly the era when I stopped watching F1. 2009 onwards has been fantastic in comparison. 2014 is been a hugely strong season.

NathanOlder

Yeap. And 2014 has brought these Vettel fans crashing back down to earth in dramatic style. And some people just cant deal with it. Cant see their future seasons improving with him moving to Ferrari. Red Bull will be stronger than Ferrari next year IMO.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

gray41

Thankyou Lewis. :mrgreen:
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Unc1eM0nty

Well done Lewis, your best season for me by far - very consistent throughout.

At the start of the season I thought Lewis would have too much for Nico, I didn't think it would be this close though so hats off to Nico, you drove very well.

I think pace wise there's very little between them, Lewis's race craft and experience told in the end, he's made the overtakes when it mattered and waited when it was too risky. I'm thinking about situations like the start at Sochi when Nico forced a move which resulted in him flat spotting his tires, Lewis would have tried the same move 3 or 4 seasons ago, he's definitely changed as a driver, he's now willing to play a longer game.

WaikeCU

NathanOlder wrote:Yeap. And 2014 has brought these Vettel fans crashing back down to earth in dramatic style. And some people just cant deal with it. Cant see their future seasons improving with him moving to Ferrari. Red Bull will be stronger than Ferrari next year IMO.
As it stands, Ferrari will have a lineup for next season with drivers who are outperformed by their teammates this season. It might not be worrying, but Ferrari will have to deliver their drivers a proper car for 2015.

dans79

NathanOlder wrote:Yeap. And 2014 has brought these Vettel fans crashing back down to earth in dramatic style. And some people just cant deal with it. Cant see their future seasons improving with him moving to Ferrari. Red Bull will be stronger than Ferrari next year IMO.
I have to agree.....
197 104 103 7

SiLo

Ferrari slowly comparing world champions for us. So far we know Alonso > Kimi. Next up, Vettel and Kimi!

So in a few years time, it will hopefully be Vettel and Hamilton. Then finally we will have that answer we have been craving for so long.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Felipe Baby!