2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

Juzh wrote:It's what they said. Higher tarmac temps seem the most probable cause.
As opposed to the most probable cause being that the driver just did a good job of the launch? Oh, the driver was Hamilton so that can't possibly be the cause could it? :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djos

Just_a_fan wrote: As opposed to the most probable cause being that the driver just did a good job of the launch? Oh, the driver was Hamilton so that can't possibly be the cause could it? :roll:
Lol, ocams razor anyone?

It is imo a simple case of Hamilton simply getting everything right.
"In downforce we trust"

SiLo

djos wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote: As opposed to the most probable cause being that the driver just did a good job of the launch? Oh, the driver was Hamilton so that can't possibly be the cause could it? :roll:
Lol, ocams razor anyone?

It is imo a simple case of Hamilton simply getting everything right.
Pretty much this.
Felipe Baby!

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote:
Juzh wrote:It's what they said. Higher tarmac temps seem the most probable cause.
As opposed to the most probable cause being that the driver just did a good job of the launch? Oh, the driver was Hamilton so that can't possibly be the cause could it? :roll:
Why mad?

ChrisDanger

turbof1 wrote:The issue is that we've had too much of that in general. We aren't really supposed to be a fanbased forum, but more what our network name implies.

I don't know if I should say this in public, but I feel the urge to do so, so here you go: I personally, as a moderator but also very much as a member, would like to work on less driver-oriented content for our site next season. We always were working under the protocol of stringent car topics and a bit more lose in the race topics. With a lot of hard work we managed to get the right ethics across in the car topics, although I brace myself for the beginning of next season. I'd like to think the same methodology should be applied on race topics too. More technical/statistical orientated instead of just lose opinions.
I was very happy to read this coming from a moderator. I really enjoy reading the odd informative post, and just end up skimming through most of the opinion-like posts. But generally when people start to get negative, angry or argumentative it's a real turn off and often makes me stop reading and not really want to revisit the thread.

Phil

This stuff is probably more for the support / site feedback forum, but IMO - moderators should be willing to ban users (even if just for a few days) for bad behaviour or behaviour that leads to bickering and/or closing of topics. By simply locking topics, you are only solving the 'effect', not the 'cause'. We are all adults here (at least I'd like to think so), and posting in a respectful manner should be the least that we should be able to expect from one another. I've seen many topics (especially driver vs driver related ones) start brilliantly with lots of good informative and constructive information and very in-line of the f1technical ethos of analysing the different driving styles, only to see it eventually degrade into noise by some individuals which ultimately lead to the closure of these topics. By closing topics, it seems like everyone, even those who try to maintain a high standard while posting (the big majority IMO), are being punished by the behaviour of those that can't...

PS: Despite this minor point; I just want to say that I very much appreciate the hard work the moderators do around here. This is by far the most mature f1 related forum I know and I feel this is a direct result of the commitment of the staff and community here. =D>
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. โ€” bhall II
#Team44 supporter

turbof1

I'll allow the current off topic discussion here because if we move it it might drop dead. I'll move it once the discussion looks an establishzs one.

We currently have a good alternative for banning members. Although we'll still apply bans when necessary, members who both have behaviour issues yet also have the capability to make good posts, are being put on the moderator approval list, meaning we as moderator need to approve their post before its visible to others. We'll of course never reveal who on that list is, but we see remarkable progress with the ones who are. Infact we barely have to dissaprove a post. Eventually we release them from that check if we feel enough progress has been made. It also protects them from building up a "dirty name" and earning back some credit from other members.

Know that last year the moderator team was smaller. Steven and Richard do an incredible job, but they are only 2 people with lifes and jobs of their own. The expansion of the mod team took some time to get up to speed, but it'll go much more smoothly next season.

The controversies on track didn't help of course. After Spa we were spared of that, and the bickering reduced significantly. Driver threads are a very touchy subject, but we'll give it another go in 2015. Let's see if a year of maturing can make everybody, moderators included, handle it better.
#AeroFrodo

PlatinumZealot

ChrisDanger wrote:
turbof1 wrote:The issue is that we've had too much of that in general. We aren't really supposed to be a fanbased forum, but more what our network name implies.

I don't know if I should say this in public, but I feel the urge to do so, so here you go: I personally, as a moderator but also very much as a member, would like to work on less driver-oriented content for our site next season. We always were working under the protocol of stringent car topics and a bit more lose in the race topics. With a lot of hard work we managed to get the right ethics across in the car topics, although I brace myself for the beginning of next season. I'd like to think the same methodology should be applied on race topics too. More technical/statistical orientated instead of just lose opinions.
I was very happy to read this coming from a moderator. I really enjoy reading the odd informative post, and just end up skimming through most of the opinion-like posts. But generally when people start to get negative, angry or argumentative it's a real turn off and often makes me stop reading and not really want to revisit the thread.
The site needs to start giving upvotes for posting technical content and more so original technical content. Some people come here just to talk about random non-technical stuff. I remember the days when you could actually learn a thing or two on this website. Now it is all politics and drivers. As one of the flag bearers of this site, I have been brain-drained by posters who just post links to other peoples content instead of being creative with their own minds. The brain drain has devastated all of us! We are no longer premier source of technical insight. There was a time when even the most novice of us, could differentiate between a reflection and slit in a wing. Now... people siting second turbochargers and mercury loaded suspensions, asymmetrical front wings! Pah! How we have regressed....
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

djos

PlatinumZealot wrote: How we have regressed....
Interesting, so how do you explain your negative vote status?
"In downforce we trust"

SiLo

djos wrote:
People just didn't understand his technical brilliance.
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

djos wrote:
It is in the post, Djos. :wink:
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

djos

SiLo wrote:
djos wrote:
People just didn't understand his technical brilliance.
Sarcasm?
"In downforce we trust"

turbof1

That's one of the issues right there. Discussions go well until a very minor point is brought up, which then gets magnified by a couple of members. That's actually what ended a driver topic in tears: some guys having to stick to some irrelevant thing or trying to be personal.

Life is full with ironies, get used to it, ignore it and read the man's message.
#AeroFrodo

komninosm

djos wrote:
komninosm wrote: You're just being pedantic. His argument is solid. You agree Webber was past his prime so he was in fact weak during the time period that matters for his argument.
Show me another "weak" driver that can overtake Alonso thru eau rouge the way Webber did in 2013?

Interestingly Nico Rosberg rates Webber as a tougher Team mate than Shuey ... How about that for a "weak" driver eh?

http://www.grandprix247.com/2012/02/23/ ... -teammate/
You still lose the argument.
We're talking about that period when you said Webber was not in his prime. Your words.
djos wrote:
Kai wrote: If you are so adamant webber isnt a weak driver. Vettel must be a super star.
Vettel mastered the EBD and Pirreli tires better than anyone else, However most of us here still think Alonso is the better driver despite having less WDC's.
Yes, Webber was weak during that time then.
djos wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:Webber is/was weak.IIRC didn't he have 2 years alongside DC, when DC was at the end of his mediocre career andthey both beat each other 1 season each. Webber Iin his prime DC at the end. Yet it was a tie. Says it all really. He was average, and only good on his day.
Before RedBull got the EBD working and Pirelli came along with their Crap tires, Webber was consistently as fast or faster than Vettel.
So Vettel was as bad as Webber, check. He just abused a little trick. No wonder he sucked this year without the cheats of Red Bull past and a teammate who was in his prime.