2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
djos

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

Richard wrote:
Juzh wrote:Convenient excuse.
It's not an excuse it's the reality. The FIA asked for tyres with a durability that would not last the full race. So we now have tyres that require 2 pitstops.
I think you are missing his point, Pirelli could still do a much better job of making tires that only last 1/3rd of the race distance but could be traced hard on till they fall off a cliff.

As opposed to the current Mickey mouse tires that need to be tip toed around on.
"In downforce we trust"

mikeerfol

So according to F1 on twitter that's the "Cornering Ratings" for the Australian race

Any ideas on what exactly it is?

iotar__

djos wrote:
Richard wrote:
It's not an excuse it's the reality. The FIA asked for tyres with a durability that would not last the full race. So we now have tyres that require 2 pitstops.
I think you are missing his point, Pirelli could still do a much better job of making tires that only last 1/3rd of the race distance but could be traced hard on till they fall off a cliff.
As opposed to the current Mickey mouse tires that need to be tip toed around on.
In theoretical fantasy land maybe but not in the real world, you can't eat a cake and have it. If they go even slightly into safe direction with time you end up with small, fixed amount of pitstops. Even if they go into high deg but safe compound choices you have India 2012-2013. These were ultra degrading tyres the likes of Red Bull with their inferior FRIC hated (Ok, it's a simplified theory ;-)).

When you have variety of tracks, temperatures, car development stages (early-late in the season or consecutive season), different cars handling tyres differently, different tyre combination you are bound to finish with pictures of destroyed tyres (remember even (edit:) not SIlverstone, Interlagos FP in 2014?), early pitstop and teams and drivers whining about not pushing 100%. The same drivers that surprisingly don't mind at all gaining decisive competitive advantage from better fuel management = a joke.

Blanchimont

mikeerfol wrote:So according to F1 on twitter that's the "Cornering Ratings" for the Australian race

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAx_kk3WEAA3PO-.jpg:large

Some more on this:
http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... ering.html
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Andres125sx

mikeerfol wrote:So according to F1 on twitter that's the "Cornering Ratings" for the Australian race

That´s the proof those ratings means nothing about the car :mrgreen:

Seriously, you see two Mercedes with very different ratings, and a McLaren in between. We can start some conspiracy theory about Rosber driving a different car to Hamilton, or assume driver style has a bigger influence than car for that graph

PlatinumZealot

Andres125sx wrote:

That´s the proof those ratings means nothing about the car :mrgreen:

Seriously, you see two Mercedes with very different ratings, and a McLaren in between. We can start some conspiracy theory about Rosber driving a different car to Hamilton, or assume driver style has a bigger influence than car for that graph
It means something actually. That the Mercedes has the ability to, but does not need to take corners at high speeds to gap the field. The graph is quite shocking actually. Nico and Lewis were cruising through those corners in the latter stages, possibly preserving tyres and still gapping the field while the did. Quite clear their traction advantage Mercedes has is still heads and shoulders above anyone else.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SiLo

That's a very interesting graph actually when you look at it then. It shows how much Massa and Kimi were pushing towards the second half of the grand prix. Very interesting.
Felipe Baby!

atanatizante

Richard wrote:
If I'm not wrong, SS tire last (depend on track surface) 5 to 10 laps, S tire 10 to 17 laps, M tire 15 to 22 laps and H tyre 20 laps or so to 1/2 race distance, isn't it?
So why not allocate 3 types of tire at each event and hence mandatory to use at least one of them in the race? ... obviously qualy time would be set on the softest one ...
It'll wil be a small tweak to the current rules but a good compromise between the need of more overtakings (now they need to make at least 3 stops ... and not to mention the possibility of having slow cars on softer tires could pass quicker cars on harder tyre ...) the need of safety and last but not least a smaller pressure on Pirelli's production and logistics ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Moose

atanatizante wrote:
Richard wrote:
If I'm not wrong, SS tire last (depend on track surface) 5 to 10 laps, S tire 10 to 17 laps, M tire 15 to 22 laps and H tyre 20 laps or so to 1/2 race distance, isn't it?
You're wrong.

The tires last a different distance depending on the exact surface they're being used on.

At some circuits the super softs won't even last half a lap. At some circuits they'll last half a race distance.

atanatizante

Moose wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
Richard wrote:
You're wrong.

The tires last a different distance depending on the exact surface they're being used on.

At some circuits the super softs won't even last half a lap. At some circuits they'll last half a race distance.
Anyway how sounds the idea?
Jesus

Moose

atanatizante wrote:Anyway how sounds the idea?
It sounds like change for the sake of change that won't improve anything, it'll just force everyone to run a suboptimal tire for one lap.

Either the third tire will be too soft, and only last the one lap, or it'll be too hard and be a second a lap slower for no gain. In either scenario, no team would want to be on that tire for any length of time, so they'd simply stick it on for one lap, and then tear it off again.

atanatizante

Moose wrote:
It sounds like change for the sake of change that won't improve anything, it'll just force everyone to run a suboptimal tire for one lap.

Either the third tire will be too soft, and only last the one lap, or it'll be too hard and be a second a lap slower for no gain. In either scenario, no team would want to be on that tire for any length of time, so they'd simply stick it on for one lap, and then tear it off again.
Yeah, you might be right but with an added rule that states you must stay on the same tyre at least 4 or 5 laps (except a puncture occurs) we'll have a minimum 3 stop race ...
So in the end we've got minimum tweaks in order to get maximum effects within the current rules ...
Jesus

Moose

atanatizante wrote:
Moose wrote:

Yeah, you might be right but with an added rule that states you must stay on the same tyre at least 4 or 5 laps (except a puncture occurs) we'll have a minimum 3 stop race ...
So in the end we've got minimum tweaks in order to get maximum effects within the current rules ...
So then everyone will run for exactly 4 or 5 laps, and you'll effectively be in the same boat.

You can't introduce strategy to the sport by forcing people to all do the same thing.

iotar__

Ferrari vs Williams http://en.espnf1.com/williams/motorspor ... MP=OTC-RSS Massa:
"The only thing that was not nice was to leave the pits and to get Ricciardo in front in the place where I didn't have DRS to pass him. I think that was the only thing that put me behind Sebastian, so without the problem I would have been in front. He had a little bit extra but I don't know how easy it would have been to pass me on the track."

:idea: That's how it looked like to me too.

mrluke

Well then he should have pulled his finger out and overtaken the car in front of him on dead tyres. Massa only has himself to blame.