2015 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
evered7
evered7

Re: 2015 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

Sevach wrote:
RZS10 wrote: it's horrible, isn't it?
most sites i was visiting until recently had better f1 coverage as well, but now they have no useful info whatsoever - one had those very useful graphs with track positions during the race etc but now they just have the race result.
It stinks, yes.

Luckly this site here has everything you might want.
http://macofan.com/en/index.php?page=results&gp=937
F1Fanatic will give it after sometime. Some nice graphs and pit stop info as well. Seems like F1.com doesn't want users to visit their site. They even took away the results of previous seasons barring 2014. Now I rely on F1F for any info on that front.

Nice site BTW, wish you could give the tire info as well in the pit stop tab.

GPR-A duplicate2

Good job Ferrari and Sebastian. Congratulations to them. Nico must be very happy to see someone mixing up in the title battle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The track temperatures were way more than expected and Malaysia always offers rain in races, which didn't happen today. It appears that, Merc took both into account and went with high downforce setup for rain and kept Hard tyres as preferred tyres for race in case if it doesn't rain. Most importantly, screwed up in strategy by unnecessarily pitting at safety car. Nico was lost throughout the race and looked like a passenger. He is now 10 points down and 3rd in Drivers' championship.

Next up is China where the temperatures will be cooler and tyres are Soft and Medium. As much as the higher temperatures were a concern for Merc on the degradation part, it would be interesting to see how Ferrari would manage to put enough heat into tyres in China.

henra
henra

Sevach wrote: Luckly this site here has everything you might want.
http://macofan.com/en/index.php?page=results&gp=937
Thanks!
Very interesting, especially the lap time graphs.

Steven
Owner

Miguel wrote:Where the heck can I find the fastest laps? The new F1 website... I'd be banned from here and deported from the UK if I put all I think here.
Malaysian GP - Fastest laps

Juzh

GPR-A wrote: Nico must be very happy to see someone mixing up in the title battle. :lol: :lol: :lol:
TBH he probably is lol. With Vettel winning he only lost 3 points to hamilton, instead of 7.

De Jokke

I wonder how much time losing in FP 1 & 2 cost Lewis this race concerning setup, hence better tyre management...
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Kiril Varbanov

The Driver of the day poll is now open - http://www.f1technical.net/poll/index.php?dispid=293

P.S. Well done, Ferrari and Vettelinho Rampante.

Jordan44

De Jokke wrote:I wonder how much time losing in FP 1 & 2 cost Lewis this race concerning setup, hence better tyre management...
This is also what I'm thinking. Last year when the drivers lost practise time and the team lost data there was no impact because everyone was so far away.

But with Ferrari on their tail the margin for error is reduced and that one cooling system failure for Lewis combined with the strategy could have cost the team a 1-2 in the end.

China will be a very fascinating race. But a long fortnight to wait...

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

J0rd4n wrote:
De Jokke wrote:I wonder how much time losing in FP 1 & 2 cost Lewis this race concerning setup, hence better tyre management...
This is also what I'm thinking. Last year when the drivers lost practise time and the team lost data there was no impact because everyone was so far away.

But with Ferrari on their tail the margin for error is reduced and that one cooling system failure for Lewis combined with the strategy could have cost the team a 1-2 in the end.

China will be a very fascinating race. But a long fortnight to wait...
Longest fortnight for a while. Most of last year the wait was bearable because it was sort of expected what would happen in the next event. I mean the battles down the field are great, but the one up front somehow always feels more exciting. Not actually sure why seen as none of my favourite drivers are at the front at the moment.

De Jokke

I hope merc do something about the straight line speed as China has the longest backstraight of the calendar...
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Hearing rumours of high #Ferrari fuel flow rate... #MalaysiaGP #F1

https://twitter.com/F1Photographer/stat ... 4839330816

Artur Craft

J0rd4n wrote: Lewis's lack of FP1 running probably cost them a bit data-wise. Both drivers said the balance wasn't right.
FP1 is run on a green track and has relatively few run, anyway, even with the extra set of Primes. Raikkonen missed most of FP2 iirc, so that would have cost Ferrari way more
Shrieker wrote: Merc probably had the pace (maybe at least Hamilton) to keep Vettel in check if he had kept track position. They wasted whatever speed advantage they had in traffic.
In the end of the day, Hamilton was 10s behind Vettel by lap 10, when he had cleared the slower cars on old tyres and got to 2nd. Afterwards, Vettel had to progress on older Mediums and took 2 pit stops using Medium and Hard. Hamilton also did 2 pit stop afterwards and also used Medium and Hard.

In the end, Lewis finished the same 10s behind(penultimate lap as Vettel cruised on finish line). So no significant pace advantage by Mercedes. Albeit Lewis was on Hards after the SC, it was fresher than Vettel's Mediums, so that kind of evens things a bit.

You can end with the Hamilton hype, though. After Rosberg cleared more cars, among them the faster Ricciardo and Massa(on fresh rubber too) he was 9s behind Hamilton, by lap 14. Rosberg brought it down to 7,2s(got to 7,7 when Vettel passed and then back to 7,5s) untill Hamilton pit.

Both drivers used the same combination of compounds, although in reverse order. By the end, Rosberg reduced the gap even further to less than 4s

Rosberg finished, in Australia, 1s behind and now had a faster race pace. Hamilton's race advantage seems to be gone

Jordan44

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:Hearing rumours of high #Ferrari fuel flow rate... #MalaysiaGP #F1

https://twitter.com/F1Photographer/stat ... 4839330816
Not a reliable source and wont believe it.

Wasn't Daniel already disqualified by this time after the race?

Seems rather strange that the FIA are only aware just now.

iotar__

So the semi-excuse is FP1? No one included it in Hamilton will dominate predictions but now it came back, just own it. About Merc and their games, http://www.f1zone.net/news/rosberg-urge ... ion/45691/ Rosberg urges to improve communication:
"I didn’t understand after the first stop why I was closing on Lewis and then when we pitted he went into the distance, but it turns out he was on a different tyre which I didn’t know." "I remember there was some conversation, Paddy had pressed the wrong button and was yapping away in my ear and they were talking about stops, which confused me and wasn’t helpful,"
Clumsy Lowe; nothing new after Barcelona, Bahrain or even Abu Dhabi but at least now he said something.

basti313
basti313

Shrieker wrote:Merc probably had the pace (maybe at least Hamilton) to keep Vettel in check if he had kept track position. They wasted whatever speed advantage they had in traffic.
Yes, but they would have lost the track position in any case. Ham killed his new MEDs on a light car in 14 laps, without a safety car he would have pitted with is Qualli tires in lap 10. And depending on the gap they pulled in the first 4 laps before the safety car, I see no way to clear something like 20 sec for a pitstop down to place 10 in this time...looking at 10 laps after the safety car, the first one out of the pit stop window was Alonso. It would have been easier to clear the cars on old tires, but they already had problems on clearing cars like the Lotus or the FI on used tires...think about Massa or Bottas in a DRS train with MEDs...

With the safety car and staying out it would have been even worse. Their tires would have been gone in lap 12, they would have dropped down to Alonso (P14) and most of the field would have been on good tires. And still no way to go on two stops...
iotar__ wrote:So the semi-excuse is FP1?
I do not see how it can be any excuse. ROS and HAM are using each others setup all the time, because one of them always messes up with the setup. So I see no disadvantage regarding setup. And HAM is seen as the natural born racer, the instinct driver, the naturally fast driver, the whatever....I do not see how his tire wear can be affected by FP1 if this is true also regarding his experience on this car and this track. He and Merc were not driving there for the first time.
Last edited by basti313 on 29 Mar 2015, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
Don`t russel the hamster!