2015 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
CBeck113

Re: 2015 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

iotar__ wrote:
tomazy wrote:I was just wondering about the safety car this race. Was it really neccesery? I mean, they have a virtual safety car or something like that, when are they going to use it if not in the situation when the car is simply stuck in the grave? I understand that they deploy the real safety car if there are debris on the circuit or damage of the bariers, but I would think that today situation was ideal for the virtual one?
Yes, unnecessary even for extra careful post Suzuka F1, simple corner, bright day. I'm not complaining but there'll be a lot of safety cars this season then.
But they did learn - the crane positioned itself behind Ericsson's car, where it couldn't be hit directly. That is the proper way to do it (and no one probably ever thought about that before Bianci's accident). Well done I say!
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

bdr529

KingHamilton01 wrote:
Edax wrote:
Big losers today are Red Bull and Mclaren.

- For Red Bull I think that all hopes of regulation changes are out of the window, without the support of Ferrari.
- For Mclaren it is quite sad to see. Last year they we're complaining that they did not belong fighting in the midfield. Now they are celebrating that they were gaining on the rear of the midfield.
I disagree with your opinion that McLaren are the biggest loser's from today's grand prix. Firstly yes I know they didn't finish but the circuit temp here is probably the hottest they will encounter all season? also remember this is only there second grand prix and effectively team are still testing the car to make it more competitive. For me Alonso was in the top 10 before he retired so that is positive that car show's good race pace and also Button was on the verge of breaking into the top 10.

Overall a double DNF doesn't look good to anyone, however the team are still learning and the team have another race distance with Alonso and Button's Lap's together. When you look at how much McLaren have gained between Australia and sepang the team has done a good job imo. I think most people have cut the team some slack, this is going to take time but improvement will come thick and fast.
I totally agree with you on this KingHamilton01
After seeing Mclaren's performance in pre-season and the first race, and this race they qualified 17/18 and finished 17/18.
Expecting anything more form them in the next few races is just foolish, I'm sure their only goal right now is just finishing the race.

Mandrake

btw. did anyone spot the Manor Marussia on track at any point? There must have been lapping events but none of these were broadcasted. Bernie's revenge?

windwaves

great site thx !

Gee, those fast laps by merc still ahead, but Vettel getting close

Andres125sx

Can anyone explain me why Mercedes used hard tires at the final stint? Even Lewis asked when exiting the final pit-stop, they said it was ok for Rosberg, but I need to see some lap by lap timing to convice myself that was the best tire at that stage....
Mandrake wrote:btw. did anyone spot the Manor Marussia on track at any point? There must have been lapping events but none of these were broadcasted. Bernie's revenge?
True, the only Manor on track didn´t get one single second of TV, I tried to look at it as it was the debut of the third spanish driver, but was not possible

And he was lapped 3 times so I´m not sure if it may be considered a coincidence :twisted:

Andres125sx

Oh and call me a fool, but I was impressed by McLaren... they even overtake! :mrgreen:

Seriously, after Melbourne I didn´t expect such a big step forward, they still need some more even if they´re this big, but before retiring there was some chances for them to get some points.... Obviously without finishing that will be dificult, but I didn´t expect that step forward in perfomance

Hope to see they continue with that curve.... and finish the races

windwaves

Andres125sx wrote:Can anyone explain me why Mercedes used hard tires at the final stint? Even Lewis asked when exiting the final pit-stop, they said it was ok for Rosberg, but I need to see some lap by lap timing to convice myself that was the best tire at that stage....
Mandrake wrote:btw. did anyone spot the Manor Marussia on track at any point? There must have been lapping events but none of these were broadcasted. Bernie's revenge?
True, the only Manor on track didn´t get one single second of TV, I tried to look at it as it was the debut of the third spanish driver, but was not possible

And he was lapped 3 times so I´m not sure if it may be considered a coincidence :twisted:
yes, right, I guess we missed a fascinating duel McL vs Manor .... for last place :)

windwaves

Andres125sx wrote:Can anyone explain me why Mercedes used hard tires at the final stint? Even Lewis asked when exiting the final pit-stop, they said it was ok for Rosberg, but I need to see some lap by lap timing to convice myself that was the best tire at that stage....

yes, right, I guess we missed a fascinating duel McL vs Manor .... for last place :)

MarkedOne8

Mercedes didn't have fresh set of Mediums for neither of their drivers. They thought that fully fresh set of Hards is better than used set of Mediums.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

Andres125sx

windwaves wrote:yes, right, I guess we missed a fascinating duel McL vs Manor .... for last place :)
Did you watch the race?

McLaren was faster than FI, even Alonso was catching up RBR before being forced to retire

Andres125sx

MarkedOne8 wrote:Mercedes didn't have fresh set of Mediums for neither of their drivers. They thought that fully fresh set of Hards is better than used set of Mediums.
That makes sense.... or at least is an explanation for that weird choice

Thanks

Mandrake

Also, Vettel made the Mediums last 17 laps, with a Safety Car inbetween. How on earth would Hamilton with higher tire usage make them survive 18 or 19 laps?

henra

Mandrake wrote:Also, Vettel made the Mediums last 17 laps, with a Safety Car inbetween. How on earth would Hamilton with higher tire usage make them survive 18 or 19 laps?
In the second stint Vettel made them last 20laps.

giantfan10

Andres125sx wrote:
MarkedOne8 wrote:Mercedes didn't have fresh set of Mediums for neither of their drivers. They thought that fully fresh set of Hards is better than used set of Mediums.
That makes sense.... or at least is an explanation for that weird choice

Thanks
yup i think mercedes made the choice before the race that the harder tire was the tire of choice based on THEIR degredation and didnt take into account that ferrari could go that fast and be that kind to the tires.
i think getting off the mediums that early was a good move for them based on what they thought degradtion was going to be like during the race ... the US broadcasters were saying that lap 9 was going to be when everybody pitted based on what they were hearing from the teams... vettel almost doubled that and threw a curvecall to mercedes.

Edax

KingHamilton01 wrote: I disagree with your opinion that McLaren are the biggest loser's from today's grand prix....{snip]
The reason I said that is because I believe Mclaren is in a pretty bad spot now. I've seen Brabham and William sink through the ranks. Mclaren should be very careful not to do the same. A new engine which does not deliver and lack of a main sponsor is a very scary situation.

F1 fans are pretty ruthless, and if you don't deliver, you quickly loose your marketing value and sponsor attractiveness.

If you look at the race they have gained since australia, but they are still 4 seconds of the leader and close to a second of their nearest rivals, judged by the fastest laps produced by the teams.
1 Mercedes 1’42.062 43
2 Ferrari 1.586 46
3 Sauber-Ferrari 1.840 45
4 Williams-Mercedes 1.928 40
5 Red Bull-Renault 2.452 41
6 Toro Rosso-Renault 2.517 42
7 Lotus-Mercedes 2.750 36
8 Force India-Mercedes 2.760 46
9 McLaren-Honda 3.994 38
source: f1fanatic
In Australia they have said that they sacrifice speed to gain reliability but so far they have shown neither. Nobody would blame them if they led for a couple of laps and then disappeared in a huge cloud of oil and engine parts.

But limping along and not making the finish line does not do the Mclaren brand a lot of good.