2015 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 10-12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Morteza

2015 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 10-12

Also the old Formula1 website map:

Tire choices:
Soft (Option)
Medium (Prime)

2014 Results:

2014 Pole position lap:

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

SectorOne

Re: 2015 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 10-12

Will be interesting to see how much closer (or further back) Ferrari is here with more normal temps.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

GPR-A duplicate2

As per the current weather prediction, it would be raining until mid of next week and possible showers on satuday with cloudy sunday and temperatures around 15 deg C.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/cn/shangh ... her/106577

WaikeCU

First time we would see a lower drag config for Mercedes to be higher up the speed traps? I would say yes.

GPR-A duplicate2

Does any know how to get the archive data on FIA for F1? Whole of last year, Mercs were running mostly high downforce setups everywhere. I am unable to find one web site which provides archive details like speed trap, sector times and sector speed times.

The FIA.COM and FORMULA1.COM have gone for dogs and do not show that data anymore.

CBeck113

I think Hamilton will go for pole, which means their normal DF levels, but if I were Rosberg I'd go for more top speed to have a chance to pass him. But the chances of that happening are slim to none; he'll just say that he drove poorly and Lewis beat him.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

GPR-A duplicate2

CBeck113 wrote:I think Hamilton will go for pole, which means their normal DF levels, but if I were Rosberg I'd go for more top speed to have a chance to pass him. But the chances of that happening are slim to none; he'll just say that he drove poorly and Lewis beat him.
At almost all circuits, before the DRS straight starts, there is always downforce dominated curves that comes and that is where the car with higher downforce escapes from a car with top speed (presumably low downforce setup). At Shanghai, the sector 2 is high downforce sector with a great long right hander that comes before the long (longest in F1) DRS back straight comes. If the leading car gets about 8 tenths at the start of that straight, it is difficult for the chasing car to make an overtake. It actually makes sense for Nico to run same amount of downforce as Lewis, because then, he can be right behind when the straight starts and can then make use of DRS, if he is behind lewis.
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 02 Apr 2015, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

PistoniRoventi

SectorOne wrote:Will be interesting to see how much closer (or further back) Ferrari is here with more normal temps.
As per the current weather prediction, it would be raining until mid of next week and possible showers on satuday with cloudy sunday and temperatures around 15 deg C.
15 degrees C. can hardly be qualified as normal temperature for a race week end. Looks like we''ll have to wait until Bahrain with average temperatures of 25 degrees C. or maybe even Spain, where the temperatures will be constant through out the race.

Jonnycraig

Would expect a Merc 1-2 again here.

On a sidenote, I've always felt the DRS down the back straight to be completely senseless. If they have to have 2 DRS zones, I'd rather it be on the 10-11 relatively short straight to get the following car right up behind in 11-12.

Phil

GPR-A wrote:At almost all circuits, before the DRS straight starts, there is always downforce dominated curves that comes and that is where the car with higher downforce escapes from a car with top speed (presumably low downforce setup). At Shanghai, the sector 2 is high downforce sector with a great long right hander that comes before the long (longest in F1) DRS back straight comes. If the leading car gets about 8 tenths at the start of that straight, it is difficult for the chasing car to make an overtake. It actually makes sense for Nico to run same amount of downforce as Lewis, because then, he can be right behind when the straight starts and can then make use of DRS, if he is behind lewis.
How much is tyre grip a factor in high downforce corners? IMO - when the tyre starts to go, it doesn't matter if you're in a high downforce corner or a low, mechanical one - the lowest common denominator will probably be the tyre? The reason why I am raising this point, is if Nico really has some kind of edge on tyre wear (as he possibly had in Malaysia), he may find himself with better grip at some point towards the end of a stint. The question then becomes if he will have an advantage with a lower downforce setting to gain a bigger speed differential within the DRS zone or if a more identical setting might prove better.

Now, this is assuming Lewis starts ahead of Nico. All bets are off if this doesn't happen, but from Nico's view, it is an interesting strategic element. IMO, running identical cars might mean that the car runs closer in all sectors - which, if it is closer might mean more dirty air which might nullfy any advantage he may have on tyre wear.

Actually, forget the above. I think temperatures of 15°C might not make much difference in regards to tyre wear on two give or take identical cars, if there is any. I think Lewis usually does well in cooler temps, or is my memory from 2014 playing tricks on me?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Tim.Wright

My intuition tells me there is no difference. "Aero-grip" is not really grip in itself, but rather the extra "tyre grip" that you get from downforce. So if the tyre reduces grip, its across the board.

Basically what you said in your second sentence....
Not the engineer at Force India

CBeck113

You basically said what I was thinnking about Lewis - under the same conditions Nico can't seem to beat him, so he needs to start going other ways to at least try it. Waiting for Lewis to drive worse than himself ... naaa, won't win him a title, that's for sure. With a different (lower) DF level he can plan an attack and use his tires to get close enough for one solid try. Running the same DF would make this more difficult because he wouldn't have the excess speed to get past, since they set up (my opinion, I don't have the data to prove this yet...) their cars with a minimum effect from DRS, to reach their high level of DF - they start from the front so they don't really need it. Yes GPR-A, using the same set-up has its advantages - it usually coorelates to the fastest lap times, but Nico has to get in front of Lewis and stay there - and I believe that Lewis would have the upper hand when they go toe-to-toe with equal equipment.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Juzh

It seemed to me mercedes wasn't particularly good in slow off camber corners in malaysia, 2nd to last corner especially, whereas ferrari was just pure awesome. It will be interesting to see whether or not this will be of some benefit to ferrari in China or if it was purely down to tires.

iotar__

CBeck113 wrote:You basically said what I was thinnking about Lewis - under the same conditions Nico can't seem to beat him, so he needs to start going other ways to at least try it. Waiting for Lewis to drive worse than himself ... naaa, won't win him a title, that's for sure.
Here we go again... [-o< There should be a rule here that forces to back up claims like that. I'm guessing this "seems" is based on two races and ignores two full seasons of something opposite? Fine, quick question: with all conditions clearly not being the same who do you think was faster in Malaysia race? However irrelevant to finishing position it was but since we're discussing predictions with vague "beating" and "conditions" looks like Rosberg didn't have to wait long for a chance. Anyway, for China:

- Williams compared to Ferrari will be more interesting than Merc-Ferrari. They had races like that last season vs RB and came back.
- I second the notion that Bahrain or even Barcelona will give a clearer picture. For later: there are rumours about RB failing short nose tests and Ferrari not getting it right for structural/dimensions reasons(?) (I can't find this article now), maybe if they can and use tokens they might be closer to Merc.

SiLo

Juzh wrote:It seemed to me mercedes wasn't particularly good in slow off camber corners in malaysia, 2nd to last corner especially, whereas ferrari was just pure awesome. It will be interesting to see whether or not this will be of some benefit to ferrari in China or if it was purely down to tires.
A lot of that was down to the heat. It's not normal for you to be able to cook an egg on the floor of an F1 track.
Felipe Baby!