2015 Spanish Grand Prix - Circuit de Catalunya - 8-10 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

Re: 2015 Spanish Grand Prix - Circuit de Catalunya - 8-10 Ma

Will be interesting to see if the field actually changes from people taking steps forward, or just remains the same throughout.
Saishū kōnā

Sevach

Moose wrote: Yep, the entry corner to the straight is wrong - it requires good aero, and forces the cars out of the slip stream before they can even get started.

The "new" sector 3 is a fail in my book on every aspect, the old one was bad for overtaking (in F1, fine to everything else) but at least was spetacular to watch.

ferkan

Dont expect much from Ferrari unless they bring some big improvements. This should be easy 1-2 for Merc nontheless.

MercedesAMGSpy

I expect a strong Mercedes.

Good to be back in Europe, but this track is a nightmare, the races are always so boring. And after that we have the legendary Monaco, where only saturday is worth watching. Sigh...

SilverArrow10

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:I expect a strong Mercedes.

Good to be back in Europe, but this track is a nightmare, the races are always so boring. And after that we have the legendary Monaco, where only saturday is worth watching. Sigh...
Yes but what a Saturday!
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Nathanael F1

Given that McLaren is supposed to bring a big upgrade, it would be a shame if neither car makes it into the top 10.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

Phil

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:Good to be back in Europe, but this track is a nightmare, the races are always so boring. And after that we have the legendary Monaco, where only saturday is worth watching. Sigh...
It's not always that bad. Me remembers Hamilton starting out of possition and giving lots of entertainment at the expense of Massa. Then we have Maldonado. Oh and last year, Hamilton might have pulled off the over-cut, if there hadn't been a safety car... But yeah, this is probably for the Monaco topic. :twisted:

Spain: I expect a strong Mercedes too, and more importantly a strong Hamilton. But I think Ferrari might go quite well too. Will be interesting to see if the Hondas make it into the points...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

CBeck113

Phil wrote: Then we have Maldonado.
You didn't just go there, right? :D

It would be nice for a bit of environmental assistance to spice up this race. And there's always the chance that they throw on the Alonso magnet in turn 3.

Otherwise it will be relatively boring, bar a few small errors (I did not include Maldonado in this - he is never a small error!)
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Harsha

I think this race might be between who can run option compound more again with track position being king here. Last year Mercedes in the league of its own won the race with a 1-2 and both of them are on different strategy Lewis with O-O-P and Nico with O-P-O.
Ferrari in the mix for now but Mercedes with another big update package can easily pull away from Ferrari or Ferrari with their Aero Upgrade package closes on Mercedes even more than now. I feel the development updates race will be far more interesting than the actual race .

Vasconia

You can start praying for a wet race in Monaco. That could be epic! I still remember 96 and 97... :D

But yes, Barcelona is always boring as hell. I personally like Monaco, I know that races have been recently very boring but this track has something hypnotic for me.

kooleracer

This will be the race where Red Bull will make its ''comeback''. I really expect a B car for Red Bull including a new Renault PU that is for more competitive. I think Red Bull will claim 3rd fastest but maybe can even compete with Ferrari in the race.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

GPR-A duplicate2

One of the trends that I have seen over the last few years is that, whenever there is a GREATER news/speculation/rumor about BIG upgrades, it turns out to be a dud. Most of the efficient upgrades comes on a car, without making any news. One trend that was with Red Bull was that, when they were ready to bolt a good upgrade, they kept the highest confidentiality and when they were in soup, Horner kept speaking big about THINGS IN PIPELINE and blah blah blah. Until now, we have not witnessed the RUMORED 50 BHP gain from Merc engines, that we kept hearing about, before and in the winter testing cycle. 500 bar, log exhaust, ERS, blah blah blah, only to see them just being where they were end of last season or a bit more. There were no such HIGHLY ANTICIPATED rumours/speculations of a Ferrari resurgence. No one really expected Ferrari to bounce back with such vengeance and although some news was being made here and there, NO ONE anticipated the Ferrari resurgence. Last year same time, many people, inlcuding Red Bull were anticipating major changes from Barcelona, only see the lead of Merc rising. I remember last year, before Malaysia, Ron Dennis beating his chest and declaring HALF A SECOND gain upgrade, only to see them being just about stagnant.

With that been the trend, I would keep reading THE BIG UPGRADE news/speculations/rumors with A BOTTLE OF SALT.

It has never happened in Formula one in recent memory that A TEAM STARTED the season with handsome lead and then another team raised from ashes to win the championship by beating the leading team, although credible successors rise though the season. So, let's see how the dice rolls in European leg.

iotar__

Vasconia wrote:
You can start praying for a wet race in Monaco. That could be epic! I still remember 96 and 97... :D
But yes, Barcelona is always boring as hell. I personally like Monaco, I know that races have been recently very boring but this track has something hypnotic for me.
Only one post about past races: Monaco 96 a classic only because it happened long time ago and had weird results. One of few races I remember vaguely from that era and it was a combination of bad driving, weather and mechanical failures. Even nostalgia can't save this one.

I agree with some points from previous posts:
- everyone will bring upgrades and it will mostly equalise itself,
- Renault/RB with biggest possible gains
- the rest the same maybe until Ferrari engine upgrades, Merc slight favourite on this track

evered7

Did Ferrari bring any updates at all for the 4 races that have been completed? I saw the Mercs new front wing, Williams' as well but nothing big from Ferrari's end. Will be interesting to see their updates for Spain. Seems to be a 'cool' race resembling China according to forecasts.

f1316

They had a tighter engine cover from China and supposedly something different on PU side in Malaysia that gave them more than in Oz (can presumably only be software).

But nothing hugely visible. Wonder if they'll bring the slightly shorter nose Allison mentioned.

If they can just have a slightly better upgrade than Mercedes, I think they'll be in good shape for Canada when they have the extra 20-30 bhp from engine upgrade.