2015 Canadian Grand Prix - 5-7 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2015 Canadian Grand Prix - 5-7 June

George-Jung wrote:Please also keep in mind that Vettel was done with Red Bull, lost his motivation there.. and had signed a new contract with Ferrari..
Vettel does not stike me as that kind of person to give up.
Hamilton certainly put out his best driving in 2012 during all the frustrations and knowing he was changing teams. Almost look like he was leaving Mclaren a parting gift. I am pretty sure Vettel was pushing as hard as he could that year.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Vasconia

George-Jung wrote:Please also keep in mind that Vettel was done with Red Bull, lost his motivation there.. and had signed a new contract with Ferrari..
But in may interviews Vettel showed that he was not comfortable with the car and in general with the new Formula 1. Mentally he wasnt in his best moment, something which it was pointed out by Marco, among others.

Phil

A very very very good blog entry on the "bore fest canada GP" by Joe Saward:

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2015/06 ... -montreal/
Joe Saward wrote: If there had been a Safety Car early on, as often happens in Canada, there would have no whingeing about fuel saving because the cars would have had enough to race flat out, but managing fuel, tyres and brakes has always been part of the art of Grand Prix racing and if that is too subtle for the modern audience, which seems to require only instant gratification, then there are too choices: dumb down the sport and do what the audience wants, or educate the audience to appreciate what they are getting.
Also, a very nice comment by Saward in the comments section too:
Joe Saward wrote:It wasn’t a dull race. It was a tense race. Suspense is a key to sporting entertainment. People watch dull football games all the time in the hope that one team or the other will score a goal. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t.
Very good read. I recommend reading it. (Perhaps this was better posted in the general F1 problems issues not enough overtaking blablabla thread, but what the hell)...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

I can't say that I found it tense, but is that because I just see FOrmula 1 as a stage managed production controlled by the pitwall where drivers are just actors delivering their (racing) lines on cue?

Phil

Well, as a Lewis supporter, maybe I was more tensed up because it was unclear if Rosberg might be able to put Lewis under pressure or at least close into the DRS zone. 1.5 seconds is a very close gap. But I also enjoyed watching Vettel squable through the field. Given we do have about 20 cars on the grid, it would be a pitty to limit ones perception if it was good or not solely on if there was a fight for the lead and win of the GP. There are so many (other) cars and battles of interest (like the various team-mate battles)... but yeah, it wasn't the best race this year, for sure. But neither are the majority of football matches either, in my very humble opinion. (Which is why I watch hockey :twisted: )
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Andres125sx

I´ve never complained about fuel saving, don´t see a big problem if they need some coasting, but managing tires is a very different thing. If they need to do it to the point they can´t do a single quali lap on race is absurd, it reduces driver mistakes because they´re never going to the limit, and in the end that means no surprises, or boring races

And yes there are overtakes... I´m still shocked about those battles we´ve seen of a car moving to one side and the other one passing on the straight because he´s going 15km/h faster :roll:

DRS ruined 90% of racing battles. The remaining 10% is still there because some cars top speed is so low they can´t make the most of the DRS, so they need to fight as everyone had to do before DRS

Yes I hate DRS, those crappy tires should be improved too, but DRS is something I can´t cope with, it is an unfair advantage for the car behind and ruined the most exciting part of racing :x Agree it increased overtakes, but to a high cost, they should have opted for a different approach, reducing aero turbulence to ease overtaking at ANY part of any track, so we still would see battles like we´ve always seen

As Joe Saward say there still are some tense moments, agree, but the sport is a shadow of what it could be... drivers who don´t drive to the limit (tires) and don´t need to fight to overtake (drs).... is this normal on the suposed pinnacle of motorsport? I say NO!

[/rant mode] :P

henra
henra

PlatinumZealot wrote: I highly rate Seb's consistency in qualifying but he was too much slower than Ricciardo in 2014. Got out-qualified 12 - 7 too much of deficit and average gap was significant too so that leaves some question marks. Qualifying Kings are never slow even in their off-years.
Some Drivers are more sensitive to emotional state and/or car behhaviour than others. The most extreme example of resilience is surely Fernando. He performs in almost all cars and circumstances.
The other end of the spectrum is probably Kimi. I suspect Seb is rather close to Kimi when it comes to that. He had big Off moments and you saw frustration/desparation against Mark webber when EBD wasn't working properly beginning of 2012. That was forgotten once stability was back and he trashed Mark. He seems to be quite sensitive regarding car predicatbility. He is a child of EBD and seems to have had to learn being fast with a less stable and predictable rear. And the RB10 + 11 seem to be tricky in that regard. With the F-15T he has found obviously a rather consistent ride. In the F14, I'm sure he would have completely went under.
Even Lewis who ssems to be a good combination of Seb and Fernando (Good single lap Speed and good race craft) was performing noticeably worse when the brake Feeling didn't suit him.
So, No, I don't agree that the world is so simple and qualifying kings are always qualifying kings. There are also qualifying princesses. :mrgreen:

PlatinumZealot

henra wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote: I highly rate Seb's consistency in qualifying but he was too much slower than Ricciardo in 2014. Got out-qualified 12 - 7 too much of deficit and average gap was significant too so that leaves some question marks. Qualifying Kings are never slow even in their off-years.
Some Drivers are more sensitive to emotional state and/or car behhaviour than others. The most extreme example of resilience is surely Fernando. He performs in almost all cars and circumstances.
The other end of the spectrum is probably Kimi. I suspect Seb is rather close to Kimi when it comes to that. He had big Off moments and you saw frustration/desparation against Mark webber when EBD wasn't working properly beginning of 2012. That was forgotten once stability was back and he trashed Mark. He seems to be quite sensitive regarding car predicatbility. He is a child of EBD and seems to have had to learn being fast with a less stable and predictable rear. And the RB10 + 11 seem to be tricky in that regard. With the F-15T he has found obviously a rather consistent ride. In the F14, I'm sure he would have completely went under.
Even Lewis who ssems to be a good combination of Seb and Fernando (Good single lap Speed and good race craft) was performing noticeably worse when the brake Feeling didn't suit him.
So, No, I don't agree that the world is so simple and qualifying kings are always qualifying kings. There are also qualifying princesses. :mrgreen:
Which year was HAM performing noticeable worse because I didn't notice it. :wink: If you mean 2014... then..mmnnyah.. not really. He had some issues with the brakes but it didn't slow him down that much he was not noticeably slower than usual. I accpet that Rosberg nipped it as the better qualifier that year. HAM car's was set for the race most of the time too. The thing with Vettel's driving it lacked both Q speed and Race speed on tyre limited tracks. It is one of those cases I cannot explain. I still think he is a top qualifier though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

PlatinumZealot wrote: Which year was HAM performing noticeable worse because I didn't notice it. :wink: If you mean 2014... then..mmnnyah.. not really. He had some issues with the brakes but it didn't slow him down that much he was not noticeably slower than usual. I accpet that Rosberg nipped it as the better qualifier that year. HAM car's was set for the race most of the time too. The thing with Vettel's driving it lacked both Q speed and Race speed on tyre limited tracks. It is one of those cases I cannot explain. I still think he is a top qualifier though.
I think he is talking about 2013, Lewis was very vocal about how unnatural FRIC made the car feel under breaking.
197 104 103 7

rayden
rayden

WilliamsF1 wrote:Listening to Daniel Ricciardo after the Canadian Grand Prix could have created the impression that he was reading a 2014 Vettel interview to the press. The Australian, whom some had perhaps somewhat prematurely declared to be the next best thing, had just suffered his way through a race that would make some of Vettel’s exploits in his last RB year look like a success. For the second time in a row the highly rated Australian was beaten by his team mate and finds himself in a classic role-reversal as like Vettel last year, he has no explanation for the fact that he suddenly seems unable to get the best out of his car. And what he has to say about it sounds astonishingly similar to the words of his former team mate.

”There must be something fundamentally wrong with the car. I’m not a whole second slower than Daniil, and I certainly haven’t forgotten how to drive.” We seem to have heard that before.

According to the ‘honey badger’ his car lacked grip despite the fact that he ran a higher downforce setup than his Russian team mate. The car’s sliding subsequently leads to higher tyre wear. Hmm, sounds familiar…

”I hope we can soon find out what’s wrong, so I can sleep peacefully again. I’m afraid though that we have to dig a bit deeper. It could be one of those problems where you have to check everything.”

Not only the interviews recall memories of Vettel 2014, so do Red Bull’s attempts at solving the problem. Last year Vettel’s chassis was changed no less than three times and the same will now be done with Ricciardo, who’ll get an all-new RB11 for the Austrian Grandprix.

Daniel Ricciardo, who is still one of the best overtakers in the field might simply be a victim of what happened to his former team mate. Last year it was Vettel, who had to make do with a car that was a definite step back from his former steeds, while even the lamest Red Bull was almost guaranteed to be better than what Danny had driven at Toro Rosso. This year he assumes the role of the German, and it appears he finds it equally difficult to let his talent shine when the car is not up to it, while the man he has beaten last year, enjoys a renaissance in a car that is better suited to his needs.

The Australian can take comfort though. His drop in performance is so far not nearly as drastic as happened to his team mate last year.

- Jundge13
See i don't understand why people are saying this now.

Ric was driving superbly up until last race, easily best of the rest behind merc/ferrari/williams, easily out performing kvyat, and now after 1 weird race, people are trying to say ric is having a vettel 2014 year...

FoxHound

@Rayden

It's the Judge13.

You'll find many articles there that make no sense at all.
JET set

Vasconia

ChrisF1 wrote:I can't say that I found it tense, but is that because I just see FOrmula 1 as a stage managed production controlled by the pitwall where drivers are just actors delivering their (racing) lines on cue?
And its not the same as it was, for example in 2003, where drivers were pushing much more even if they had to save fuel and other things.

Plus there was no real tension, at least in the last laps when it was clear that Rosberg was not going to attack Hamilton. Plus, again, that 1000 radio conversations saying all the time "save this, save that" its not what I would define as excitement and tension.

dans79

The more posts I read on this forum and others, the more I think the problem with F1 is the fans not the sport/show. All I hear anymore, is someone saying we need more drama, or the rules are to complicated.

I will never understand this insecent need for reality tv style drama, don't people have enough of that in their own lives. The reason I stopped watching NASCAR in my teens, was because they kept dumbing it down to the toddler level, and making it all about the next big crash or driver fight. It seems soon F1 will be exactly the same, nothing but amusement for the mob as the Romans would say.
197 104 103 7

Vasconia

dans79 wrote:The more posts I read on this forum and others, the more I think the problem with F1 is the fans not the sport/show. All I hear anymore, is someone saying we need more drama, or the rules are to complicated.

I will never understand this insecent need for reality tv style drama, don't people have enough of that in their own lives. The reason I stopped watching NASCAR in my teens, was because they kept dumbing it down to the toddler level, and making it all about the next big crash or driver fight. It seems soon F1 will be exactly the same, nothing but amusement for the mob as the Romans would say.
Sorry but I disagree, you should add some drivers too but they also think that rules are nowadays too complicated and that they cant drive at 100%. I prefer the "boring" races of 2000s because at least the cars were truly fast, the drivers drove att 100% and the overtakes, even being too few, were 100% legit.

Its that complicated to create fast cars without so much downforce to allow the overtakings???

A more powerful engine+tyre war+little bit less downforce. I think it could be a good combination.

And also, Whitting let the drivers fight and drive when it rains!

dans79

Vasconia wrote: Sorry but I disagree, you should add some drivers too but they also think that rules are nowadays too complicated and that they cant drive at 100%.
The Swiss cheese tires are because of the fans who wanted more of a show, DRS is because of the fans who wanted more passing. Saving breaks is because they are at the limit of the technology, I mean my first car from the early 80's had bigger diameter rims, and I'm pretty sure breaks than current f1 cars.

Vasconia wrote: Its that complicated to create fast cars without so much downforce to allow the overtakings???
teams will find a way to get the downforce back, and to have a development war you need to shut up the people who constantly complain about cost.
197 104 103 7