2015 Austrian Grand Prix - 19-21 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Emmcee

Re: 2015 Austrian Grand Prix - 19-21 June

Vasconia wrote:
ChrisF1 wrote:It's not as though Kvyat had to take a pitstop that made him suffer - he served it behind the safety car so it was minimal time lost.
Yes, because rejoin the race in the back with one of the weakest engines in a track with long straights is not problematic at all. :roll:

To make "respectable" laptimes with a damaged floor could mean that without it he could have made better laptimes. Plus all your strategy is affected by an early pit-entry.
It's still better joining at the back when everyone is bunched up behind the safety car than joining at the back when the field has already split. And you can't say ricciardos strategy wasn't affected due to the 5 sec penalty? Be easier to figure out where to slot kvyat in than ricciardo, why do you think dan stayed out for ages on his first set? He was trying to create a window and be able to rejoin without being affected as much. I don't think his car was damaged to the extent they have made out at all, how is it he can lap faster than some Ferrari and Mercedes engined cars? They struggle to do that at the best of times, especially on a hp driven circuit. Don't get me wrong, kvyat performed real well but I honestly don't think his car took to much damage when you look at the lap times and use common sense, ricciardo just did better, imagine were he would have ended up with those fresh tyres towards the end and didnt have the extra 5 secs, he possibly wouldve had 9th position.
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

PlatinumZealot

Re: 2015 Austrian Grand Prix

PlatinumZealot wrote:What are the thoughts on the expected turn out this year?

Red Bull is in a shambles so possible less of a crowd... but could there be large contingency of Austrian fans who support the Austrian leadership at Mercedes?
Full circle..

The crowd dropped by nearly half this year:
http://www.f1today.net/en/news/202860/a ... just-55000
Expectations of a smaller crowd of spectators for the Red Bull-promoted Austrian grand prix have been confirmed. Last year, as the sport returned to the refurbished 'Red Bull Ring' for the first time in a decade, an enthusiastic full house of 90,000 thronged the stands.

But Kleine Zeitung newspaper reports that, a year on and amid formula one's widely-reported problems, the race-day crowd had dwindled to just 55,000 on Sunday. F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, however, was happy with the job done by race organisers Red Bull. "Excellent," the Briton told Salzburger Nachrichten. "The best sign is when nobody complains about anything." (GMM)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Emmcee

Re: 2015 Austrian Grand Prix

PlatinumZealot wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:What are the thoughts on the expected turn out this year?

Red Bull is in a shambles so possible less of a crowd... but could there be large contingency of Austrian fans who support the Austrian leadership at Mercedes?
Full circle..

The crowd dropped by nearly half this year:
http://www.f1today.net/en/news/202860/a ... just-55000
Expectations of a smaller crowd of spectators for the Red Bull-promoted Austrian grand prix have been confirmed. Last year, as the sport returned to the refurbished 'Red Bull Ring' for the first time in a decade, an enthusiastic full house of 90,000 thronged the stands.

But Kleine Zeitung newspaper reports that, a year on and amid formula one's widely-reported problems, the race-day crowd had dwindled to just 55,000 on Sunday. F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, however, was happy with the job done by race organisers Red Bull. "Excellent," the Briton told Salzburger Nachrichten. "The best sign is when nobody complains about anything." (GMM)

Wow!!! That's says it all doesn't it? I mean to the FIA at that is.
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Lotus F1 Team ‏@Lotus_F1Team 4m4 minutes ago
Hey @charlie_whiting... Potential for a new pitlane safety implementation?
#ArrivabeneIsEverywhere #ThatsItWeAreDone

jato
jato

Re Ricciardo vs Kvyat

The problem with comparing them is that we can't quantify how much time lost, if any, that Kvyat had from his collision with Perez. If he didn't lose much time from the damage - we have seen drivers who have actually done better with a broken front wing - then it was fairly good race from Ricciardo's POV. They basically got the maximum they were expecting with his point.

I still think with or without the damage Ricciardo would have beaten Kvyat this race. Canada was a poor race for Ricciardo but so far over the length of the season Ricciardo has beaten Kvyat by fairly large margins. Lets see how the next few races go as Ricciardo would have gotten over his small blip whereas Kvyat should now be settled in the car.

Giando

Sorry to re-open the subject, but if you watch this video - set res. 1080 HD - and play just a little with the pause button you can clearly see Alonso touching Kimi's back.

http://www.motorsportitalia.net/inciden ... raikkonen/

What do you think guys, again?

The simple fact that Alonso's camera-car hasn't been made available is quite frankly bizarre.
Alonso on Sunday said: "I was 5-6 meters behind Kimi when he started to spin"...

Yes, right.

PlatinumZealot

Giando wrote:Sorry to re-open the subject, but if you watch this video - set res. 1080 HD - and play just a little with the pause button you can clearly see Alonso touching Kimi's back.

The simple fact that Alonso's camera-car hasn't been made available is quite frankly bizarre.
Alonso on Sunday said: "I was 5-6 meters behind Kimi when he started to spin"...

Yes, right.
Good catch. Yeah he touched him.. but that was after Kimi's first wheel spin. Kimi had at least two wheels spins.. The Mclaren is not as quick as the Ferrari out of the corners but the Kimi's wheelspin made his car back up into Alonso's. I think Alonso said his car was 5 meters behind Kimi's before the wheelspin happened.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Giando

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Giando wrote:Sorry to re-open the subject, but if you watch this video - set res. 1080 HD - and play just a little with the pause button you can clearly see Alonso touching Kimi's back.

Yes, right.
Good catch. Yeah he touched him.. but that was after Kimi's first wheel spin. Kimi had at least two wheels spins.. The Mclaren is not as quick as the Ferrari out of the corners but the Kimi's wheelspin made his car back up into Alonso's. I think Alonso said his car was 5 meters behind Kimi's before the wheelspin happened.
Uhm... i have serious doubts... To me, it seems Kimi is coming out straight from the corner and just when the McLaren appears super-close to him he starts to go right and then left...

Also, Alonso's camera-car was perfectly working AFTER the crash...

so how is it possible we got no images of what happened before?

SectorOne

From what i´ve seen, Kimi gets loose, Alonso doesn´t = Alonso more or less drives straight into Kimi due to the speed differential caused by Kimi´s initial slip.

But yes, it´s mindboggling how they did not show the event happening from Alonso´s camera.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

RicME85

Was mentioned on Sky that FOM can't record all the cars footage at the same time hence not being able to go back and show a replay from Alonso's car

zeph
zeph

I watched both vids and can't see how they come to that conclusion with any kind of certainty. I frame-by-framed it, too. Viewed at 0.25 speed, I still say it is inconclusive.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

RicME85 wrote:Was mentioned on Sky that FOM can't record all the cars footage at the same time hence not being able to go back and show a replay from Alonso's car
Wonder if this is a convenient excuse in response to accidents like Senna's, the Sutil-Schumacher head on at Abu Dhabi and the potential for seeing something horrible on Bianchi's.

McMrocks
McMrocks

What onboard camera is this in the picture above? The airbox has never been visible on the onboard footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic14sEK0dUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9YoniR084

Andres125sx

zeph wrote:

I watched both vids and can't see how they come to that conclusion with any kind of certainty. I frame-by-framed it, too. Viewed at 0.25 speed, I still say it is inconclusive.
Agree, same I thought, with those POVs it´s imposible to do any assertion

Andres125sx

McMrocks wrote:What onboard camera is this in the picture above? The airbox has never been visible on the onboard footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic14sEK0dUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9YoniR084
Good point!

Maybe a steward with his phone?