2015 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 03-05 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2015 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 03-05 July

Shrieker wrote: For Rosberg though, it explains why he was smiling after the race. Although he didn't win it, he knew (along with everybody else) that he was the fastest Merc driver out there when the conditions were difficult. Sure, him pushing prior most probably helped with tyre temps in changing conditions (probably was the same for Vettel) but he was faster at the time which is what matters.
O please.

If he was so fast, how come he made no attempts to pass his teammate early on during the race, when he was never more than 1.5 seconds behind?

If anything he was smiling because he was able to minimize the points he lost to Lewis.
197 104 103 7

MercedesAMGSpy

I can't understand Williams' tactics. Mercedes did even a dummy pit stop, everybody following the race could see a Mercedes/Hamilton pit stop coming up and trying the undercut. Williams led the race with two cars, why not pitting one car before Mercedes? Later in the race it wouldn't make a difference with the rain, but still....

Moose

I find it amazing how many people think that Rosberg was genuinely 1.5 to 2 seconds a lap faster than Hamilton, and that there was absolutely nothing special going on.

About the only time I could see a driver being 1.5-2 seconds faster in the same car, with nothing different or special going on would be if you stuck Vettel and Mehri in the same car.

SiLo

Moose wrote:I find it amazing how many people think that Rosberg was genuinely 1.5 to 2 seconds a lap faster than Hamilton, and that there was absolutely nothing special going on.

About the only time I could see a driver being 1.5-2 seconds faster in the same car, with nothing different or special going on would be if you stuck Vettel and Mehri in the same car.
He was a lot faster, but mostly because he managed to keep the temps in the slicks better. Having his car set up for slightly cooler temps apparently helped too.
Felipe Baby!

Andres125sx

Moose wrote:About the only time I could see a driver being 1.5-2 seconds faster in the same car, with nothing different or special going on would be if you stuck Vettel and Mehri in the same car.
What do you guys have with Merhi?

People who followed their careers say he´s faster than Sainz Jr. He actually got a seat in F1 wihout any sponsor, what is self-explanatory nowadays

Manoah2u

My opinion on the Williamses losing out:

I'd say it's a combination of things but, truth be told, in the end it was team decision incompetence.

Williams had a blasting start and if that Safety car had not popped up, Massa would have flown away far into the distance.
He would have been far outside the DRS range of Lewis, and Lewis was too occupied with Bottas.

Instead, the safety car kinda ruined the game of Williams. Massa was cought sleeping on the re-start and hamilton made a tiny error that cost him a while.

however, Bottas was way faster than Massa at a certain point and I really feel they should have left them racing. Bottas should have overtaken and continued going into the distance.

They indeed should have responded better to Hamilton's pitstop.

I think the total lack of adequate planning or reading the race cost them dearly, which actually makes me wonder whether the team members responsible for such decisions are the right ones - i could imagine they make the same errors for other racing positions.

I would really have liked to see Massa - or Bottas for that matter, the Silverstone GP. It sure would have been interesting to see.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

godlameroso

Does anyone find it strange that although the Mercedes has not improved at all since last year the gap remains the same? They are still 1/2 to 1 full second per lap faster than everyone else. Last year Hamilton set fast lap during "hammer time" a 1:37.176 on lap 26, this year 1:37.093 on lap 29. So it stands to reason that whatever race pace Mercedes had last year will essentially be the same this year. So to heck with qualifying as long as anyone can do 1:27-1:25 next round they will be competitive because that is the pace Mercedes had last year.
Saishū kōnā

Moose

SiLo wrote:
Moose wrote:I find it amazing how many people think that Rosberg was genuinely 1.5 to 2 seconds a lap faster than Hamilton, and that there was absolutely nothing special going on.

He was a lot faster, but mostly because he managed to keep the temps in the slicks better. Having his car set up for slightly cooler temps apparently helped too.
Right, *I* know that something strange was going on (specifically that Lewis had no temperature in his tyres), but half the forum appears adamant that Rosberg was just massively faster because you know... he was faster, and should have won the race.

sAx
sAx

zeph wrote:
GPR-A wrote:And I thought Williams only bought PU from Mercedes, didn't know they have also bought brainless strategists too. Absolute third rate strategy call. The way they were running so close together, it was EVIDENT that one of the Mercs would undercut AT LEAST one of the Williams at the pit stop. Instead, they should have let Bottas pass and create sufficient gap in front, so that they both could have got comfortably ahead of Mercs after Pit Stops. Not sure if Williams were thinking that they could hold the Mercs for entire race length, if so, absolute nut cases.
Yes, it was clear from the get-go that Merc was waiting for the pitstops to leapfrog them. The RIGHT strategy would have been to have Bottas back them up and allow Massa to disappear in the distance, not have Massa move over!

I'm glad they didn't, mind, you, and I never for one second believe that either Williams could have won the race without Merc running into trouble, either.
I think Williams' only mistake was losing P3 by being late with the wet tires, and even that wasn't a real mistake; that was simply a bloody good call from Vettel/Ferrari.

Bottom line is, Bottas had the green light, and couldn't stick it to Massa. And:
PlatinumZealot wrote: Bottas was the faster Williams driver for the first stint, but he looked like an amateur compared to Massa once on the hard tyres. I am in support of those who said Williams should have given a team order for Bottas to pass but it woulnd't have made any difference. Massa would have caught and passed him on the second stint anyway. People forget that Massa finished 36 seconds up the road in the same car. That's an outright trouncing if you ask me.
....Oh, and last but not least, Hamilton's attempted overtake after the SC was a total amateur move.
Little harsh, predatory opportunistic racers instinct!. More like armfuls of understeer than amateur night at the prom (nee go-kart track)!!
Last edited by sAx on 06 Jul 2015, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

Spoutnik

Rosberg is inferior under real rain condition to Hamilton, that's a fact.
Those condition yersteday are so special, and Rosberg attacking and he benefit of the dirty hair of the Williams.

AnthonyG

godlameroso wrote:Does anyone find it strange that although the Mercedes has not improved at all since last year the gap remains the same? They are still 1/2 to 1 full second per lap faster than everyone else. Last year Hamilton set fast lap during "hammer time" a 1:37.176 on lap 26, this year 1:37.093 on lap 29. So it stands to reason that whatever race pace Mercedes had last year will essentially be the same this year. So to heck with qualifying as long as anyone can do 1:27-1:25 next round they will be competitive because that is the pace Mercedes had last year.
How different were the track temps? That can make a big difference.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Manoah2u

godlameroso wrote:Does anyone find it strange that although the Mercedes has not improved at all since last year the gap remains the same? They are still 1/2 to 1 full second per lap faster than everyone else. Last year Hamilton set fast lap during "hammer time" a 1:37.176 on lap 26, this year 1:37.093 on lap 29. So it stands to reason that whatever race pace Mercedes had last year will essentially be the same this year. So to heck with qualifying as long as anyone can do 1:27-1:25 next round they will be competitive because that is the pace Mercedes had last year.
well the question remains how much other teams 'improved' or 'stayed the same'. Williams for example is hurting quite significantly from the aero changes / nose changes and so is RedBull. The only team that seems to have made a big jump is Ferrari, but they were way back the year before. If all teams equal had to respond to the regulation changes, it isn't that odd that except some minor changes, everything should be rather the same as it finished in the last races last year, i'd say.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jonnycraig

dans79 wrote:
Shrieker wrote: For Rosberg though, it explains why he was smiling after the race. Although he didn't win it, he knew (along with everybody else) that he was the fastest Merc driver out there when the conditions were difficult. Sure, him pushing prior most probably helped with tyre temps in changing conditions (probably was the same for Vettel) but he was faster at the time which is what matters.
O please.

If he was so fast, how come he made no attempts to pass his teammate early on during the race, when he was never more than 1.5 seconds behind?
I'm trying to work out if this is a joke, or you've just got no idea about F1. :wtf:

Jonnycraig

SectorOne wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:For anyone who harboured any doubts that Vettel is the king of the wet:
Did he become king after 2014? Or before it?
Not sure what 2014 has to do with his status of king in the wet. Hell, his best races last season were in the wet, where he was comfortably faster than Ricciardo. :lol:

godlameroso

AnthonyG wrote:
How different were the track temps? That can make a big difference.
Temps were very similar, there was also a similar cross-wind on race day.
Saishū kōnā