2015 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
WaikeCU

Re: 2015 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

can't wait to see the cars curb ride the hell off the 2° Variante chicane. It always delivers spectacular footage on that part of the circuit.

SectorOne

WaikeCU wrote:can't wait to see the cars curb ride the hell off the 2° Variante chicane. It always delivers spectacular footage on that part of the circuit.
They are crap these days. Remember the old curbs? That was brilliant to watch.

Look at 2008 Monza GP and youll see one person jump them like crazy.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

zioture

Preview Italian GP Monza Lewis Hamilton Mercedes AMG

Multi21

Jolle wrote:Looking as sheer speed, it would surprise me if the first 2 starting positions wouldn't be taken by Mercedes. But looking at the last few starts, even in Spa, somehow they can't get away as fast as Williams or Ferrari. Hamilton would have been in a lot of trouble if La Source was a couple of 100 meters further from the start line.

so... Q: Ham, Ros, Bot, Mas, after the first chicane: Bot, Mas, Vet, Ham and then, further back down: Ros....

And the first half of the race a very frustrated Ham stuck behind Mas.....
Williams seemed to to have a really tough time when it came todeciding on the downforce vs top speed compromise. Obviously for monza they will take off a lot of wing but that will hurt them around ascari and parabolica getting on the straights and surely mercs top speed wont be so bad that with Drs Ham or Ros wouldnt be able to make a pass on the straights and pull away.

Tauri_J

Kinda early for a forecast but we might see some rain

Jordan44

Multi21 wrote:
Jolle wrote:Looking as sheer speed, it would surprise me if the first 2 starting positions wouldn't be taken by Mercedes. But looking at the last few starts, even in Spa, somehow they can't get away as fast as Williams or Ferrari. Hamilton would have been in a lot of trouble if La Source was a couple of 100 meters further from the start line.

so... Q: Ham, Ros, Bot, Mas, after the first chicane: Bot, Mas, Vet, Ham and then, further back down: Ros....

And the first half of the race a very frustrated Ham stuck behind Mas.....
Williams seemed to to have a really tough time when it came todeciding on the downforce vs top speed compromise. Obviously for monza they will take off a lot of wing but that will hurt them around ascari and parabolica getting on the straights and surely mercs top speed wont be so bad that with Drs Ham or Ros wouldnt be able to make a pass on the straights and pull away.
Hamilton passed Massa easily last year at Monza, this a circuit Williams were tipped to do well at. Their straight line advantage is simply non existent, Mercedes can just about match them with loads more downforce. Silverstone was a special case. And even if Hamilton does get stuck behind a Williams, you can bet their inferior strategy team won't be able to keep them ahead.

People have been over exaggerating the problems a poor start causes for Mercedes because of Hungary. It's simply not true they find it hard to overtake other cars. Hungary it was all down to their drivers.

iotar__

J0rd4n wrote:Hamilton passed Massa easily last year at Monza, this a circuit Williams were tipped to do well at. Their straight line advantage is simply non existent, Mercedes can just about match them with loads more downforce. Silverstone was a special case. And even if Hamilton does get stuck behind a Williams, you can bet their inferior strategy team won't be able to keep them ahead.

People have been over exaggerating the problems a poor start causes for Mercedes because of Hungary. It's simply not true they find it hard to overtake other cars. Hungary it was all down to their drivers.
- He passed him because he had much quicker car and Massa didn't defend. It's not all about small top speed advantage, downforce, traction, tyres over time, braking, stability, Williams did well at Monza '14 although competition was non existent (engines).
- this inferior strategy is called "Mercedes is much quicker car", what was so special about Silverstone? Rain? Bad attempt on Massa? Repeated couple of times in Hungary. Massa's slow stop? Mistakes? Same including light penalty in Austria. Bad pitstop call? Repeated in Hungary.
- "Their straight line advantage is simply non existent". Compared to Mercedes - probably but it doesn't mean they have any top speed problems which was made up on the spot in Spa.
- Let's not lump drivers together in Hungary, it was down to one driver, Ferrari's pace, track and tyre choice failure by Mercedes. Rosberg's fault was slower pace but he could have won it anyway. You didn't expect him to pass Ferrari on softs with mediums? Same tyres - not enough.

Will Williams or Ferrari in front of Merc at Monza cause them losing the race? No, they should win it comfortably.

dren

Agree, I expect Hamilton to cake walk this race. Rosberg should take second. After that, my money is on a Williams/Lotus/Force India. Ferrari will not look as good due to the slight lack in power. Honda will duke it out again with Marussia. The midfield battle should be a good one. If it rains, I still expect Mercedes to cake walk the race, but things might get a little more interesting. Williams is typically abysmal in the rain.
Honda!

ESPImperium

I can't wait, this will be my second Italian GP and i hope the weather clears up enough for me to get some sun. Not looking forward to when i fly in on Friday as its looking rainy.

SectorOne

Get the popcorn ready.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

djos

Indeed!
"In downforce we trust"

iotar__

SectorOne wrote:Get the popcorn ready.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CN5zk5IW8AAeWYC.png
For what? These press conferences are boring, no real questions and no real answers. Drivers read from their scripts and are careful not to add anything on their own (probably for the better), team principals will not give a proper answers if they don't want to. They all will rather mindlessly repeat their prepared lines and journalists won't press.

As bad as press releases before the races. You know what I learned from every single one of them? Italy is a country with great food and Monza is a high speed track which is great. Thank you very much, I will never forget that. "Track X should suit our car slightly more/less but we will be prepared either way" Oh, OK.

ME4ME

You're right. There is however the possibility for some awkwardness with Paul Hambery (Pirelli) in the line-up.

XRayF1

iotar__ wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Get the popcorn ready.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CN5zk5IW8AAeWYC.png
For what? These press conferences are boring, no real questions and no real answers. Drivers read from their scripts and are careful not to add anything on their own (probably for the better), team principals will not give a proper answers if they don't want to. They all will rather mindlessly repeat their prepared lines and journalists won't press.

As bad as press releases before the races. You know what I learned from every single one of them? Italy is a country with great food and Monza is a high speed track which is great. Thank you very much, I will never forget that. "Track X should suit our car slightly more/less but we will be prepared either way" Oh, OK.
But this is where Hembery and Vettel will be in the same room.
And I can't see Vettel doing a 180° turn all of a sudden, whatever the Pirelli tire evaluation will show.

Secondly, the line up as such is great.
Hembery & Vettel + Arrivabene for the Italian GP as such, Horner because of the rumor with the Merc PU, Carter for the Renault bid, Fernley because of Madonado (for 2016), Boullier for the Mc-Honda disaster this year.

Fully agree, popcorn time ...

iotar__

XRayF1 wrote: But this is where Hembery and Vettel will be in the same room.
And I can't see Vettel doing a 180° turn all of a sudden, whatever the Pirelli tire evaluation will show.

Secondly, the line up as such is great.
Hembery & Vettel + Arrivabene for the Italian GP as such, Horner because of the rumor with the Merc PU, Carter for the Renault bid, Fernley because of Madonado (for 2016), Boullier for the Mc-Honda disaster this year.

Fully agree, popcorn time ...
I think these are separate PC so it's Hembery + Arrivabene but not Vettel. We'll see but all I can foresee is some bad jokes like with Renault bloke and Horner.